Sunday is the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th Month

DrB

Remember all those who served and gave their lives in the Great War.  Anyone watching any WW1 movie?  I am watching The Lost Battalion.  Any other good movies you have?  Just finished Sergeant York.

Dave

Edited by DrB
spelling

My Grandfather served in WWI in the Canadian army as a Captain and was a leader of men. He fought in every major battle in France and was wounded once and carried shrapnel in his back that they were unable to remove. He captured a German position and took the officer's Luger which has German battalion markings on it. He kept it hidden for years after the war and my grandmother smuggled it into the US.

Gramp1a.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

He captured a German position and took the officer's Luger which has German battalion markings on it. He kept it hidden for years after the war and my grandmother smuggled it into the US.

I hope you still have have that pistol.

Dave..

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DrB said:

I hope you still have have that pistol.

Dave..

I had if for a while but now my brother has it. It will be passed down to his son who will pass it down to his son. It was made in 1914 and was almost new when my grandfather captured it. He actually carried it in it's original flap holster in the Northern Ontario woods for many years before Canada started restricting handgun ownership and it shows some wear. It also has a shoulder stock with it but is not original to the gun. My dad and my brothers and I have all shot it and my nephew has shot it and it's always been taken well care of and kept clean, never abused or allowed to rust.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Remember all those who served and gave their lives in the Great War.  Anyone watching any WW1 movie?  I am watching The Lost Battalion.  Any other good movies you have?  Just finished Sargent York.
Dave

I watched ‘Sergeant York’...... again, today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, C_Hallbert said:

I watched ‘Sergeant York’...... again, today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an excellent portrayal of struggle between a mans morals, his God, and his humanity!  A true classic made when many movies still had some value.  One of my favorites.

• Like 2