Anniversary of Beruit Marine Barracks Bombing...

deputy tom

This past week a group of us went to neighboring Ambridge PA to attend a Lodge meeting. On the way home we talked about one of the older brother's son being killed in that terrible incident. He was a Major in the Marines stationed there. I searched and found a listing of the 21 Marines killed that day, 23 October 1983. They are buried in section 59 in Arlington National Cemetery. RIP Marines. tom. :patriot:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I was working in Saudi Arabia when that happened. Media and press control what it was, I did not hear about it until I talked to my Dad a few days later. They were all concerned that I might meet a fate like that. I was more likely to be killed in a traffic accident.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moeman said:

Horrible incident. Regan folded. Just think what posters here would say about that, especially if not their party. Which here is clear. 

American soldiers and citizens need spine spine from the top. On this, no.

It was one in a series of events where we convinced the enemies of America that we didn’t have the spine to respond appropriately to terrorists.  Even at least as far back as Carter our leaders let us down in responding to Muslim terrorists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moeman said:

Horrible incident. Regan folded. Just think what posters here would say about that, especially if not their party. Which here is clear. 

American soldiers and citizens need spine spine from the top. On this, no.

27 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

It was one in a series of events where we convinced the enemies of America that we didn’t have the spine to respond appropriately to terrorists.  Even at least as far back as Carter our leaders let us down in responding to Muslim terrorists.

Reagan was helping the Lebanese for months, and it bit us.

thats when Reagan said “the western mind will never understand Mideastern mind” 

cut his losses and left them to their own devices. Never again got involved outside of supporting Israel.

probably would still be a good policy. After 9/11 we should have went to Afghanistan, broke their stuff, killed their leaders, and walked out leaving a big sign saying

“don’t do that **** again”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Reagan was helping the Lebanese for months, and it bit us.

thats when Reagan said “the western mind will never understand Mideastern mind” 

cut his losses and left them to their own devices. Never again got involved outside of supporting Israel.

probably would still be a good policy. After 9/11 we should have went to Afghanistan, broke their stuff, killed their leaders, and walked out leaving a big sign saying

“don’t do that **** again”

I think we should have dropped several nuclear weapons at our best intelligence estimate of where Bin Laden was.  Tora Bora should have been a glowing wasteland. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

That we did not respond with overwhelming force to this terror attack is part of why 9/11 happened.

100 percent. This was the moment in many ways that defines the mid east  a  we see it now.

I was in the 6th grade and school patrol. We ran the flag at half mast without school authority and on our own.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Uummm Carter sent the military... to get the hostages. Yes, the helicopters sucked. Military f’d that one up.

Only, Regan to date, negotiated with terrorists sending them arms etc. but hey, he did start the American flag pin on a suit. And have astrological advice from a wife. Did get drugs out and arms to the Contras though...