Paid for an old man's breakfast today.

My grandson and I were in a nice restaurant for breakfast. I see an old man come in and sit down a few seats down the counter from us. His clothing looks very worn, as did he. He didn't appear to be having a good day. He looked sad and often held his face in his hands. He was wearing a tattered "Navy' ball cap. I over heard him tell the waitress that he had only been in a couple times in the past and wanted his eggs cooked a certain way. Eggs, toast, and Grits. Simple and cheap. When the waitress stopped by to see how we were doing, I asked her to put his meal on our check. He finished eating before we did, and tried to pay for his meal. She told him someone else had already taken care of it. Finally a smile from the tired looking old man. I hope the rest of his day went well.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 15

I had a trunkload of stuff to be taken to Goodwill, that I'd been lugging around for a long time.  There were about a dozen Steeler tuques, that someone brought to a superbowl party, years ago.

I was in Cleveland (last year?) and it was zero degrees out, so I handed hats out to all the 'real looking' winos and old homeless dudes laying around on the sidewalks, one night.

So....   all the bums in Cleveland were wearing Steelers hats the next morning.

They were easy to notice.  It was great.

• Like 5

I pay for an old man's breakfast every day. An old woman's, too.

Seriously, good move, Walt. ?

Another fun thing I do, esp during the holidays, is to slip Waffle House waitresses $20 tips. I had one follow me out crying a couple years ago. It's a cheap feelgood thing but I enjoy it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I pay for an old man's breakfast every day. An old woman's, too.

Seriously, good move, Walt. ?

Another fun thing I do, esp during the holidays, is to slip Waffle House waitresses $20 tips. I had one follow me out crying a couple years ago. It's a cheap feelgood thing but I enjoy it.

It ain’t cheap, and I’m not talking about the money ??

Hawk 

On 11/7/2018 at 2:10 PM, Walt Longmire said:

My grandson and I were in a nice restaurant for breakfast. I see an old man come in and sit down a few seats down the counter from us. His clothing looks very worn, as did he. He didn't appear to be having a good day. He looked sad and often held his face in his hands. He was wearing a tattered "Navy' ball cap. I over heard him tell the waitress that he had only been in a couple times in the past and wanted his eggs cooked a certain way. Eggs, toast, and Grits. Simple and cheap. When the waitress stopped by to see how we were doing, I asked her to put his meal on our check. He finished eating before we did, and tried to pay for his meal. She told him someone else had already taken care of it. Finally a smile from the tired looking old man. I hope the rest of his day went well.

Thanks for the meal.  My clothes were old because I was changing the oil on my New Ram 2500 6.4l and the ape that tightened the oil pan bolt was on steroids!  It took me forever to get it off. 

My pension, social security and investment income is re-invested.  At this point I don't know how much money I have. 

Anyway, I used the money I saved from breakfast to buy a few lottery tickets.  Fingers crossed! 

Edited by AerynSun2
  • Haha 3