Time for a tipping thread

Silentpoet

Waitress is complaining that a take out order didn't give her a huge tip, and she only made $18 that night...

So let me get this straight, at outback steakhouse an order to go for 50 people takes so much time and energy of a waitress that she only manages to serve one or two other tables during her entire shift?  Seriously, I haven't been there in a couple decades and 4 of us racked up a $120 bill before drinks, and tipped more than $18 when it was all said and done.

I call BS on it.  One waiter/waitress seems to do just fine managing 3 or more tables with 4-8 people at them.  Even if the average meal takes a full hour, and only 4 people per table and 3 tables, that's still only about 4 hours worth of tips she lost.  The ones serving tables do a heck of a lot more than package food into the to-go containers and taking it out to a car.  I don't see any possible way it would take her 4 hours of work to get 50 meals packaged, and still manage to get them out to the customer before they were stone cold.  even if she only had a 4 hour shift to begin with, the math doesn't add up to me.

My guess is if she wasn't a whiny self obsessed little (figuratively speaking) witch she could make a heck of a lot more than $18 with her remaining shift time.  

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Like 2

It is probably best not to be a whiny child when there are twelve people standing outside of the door waiting to have your job.

In my almost 70 years on the planet ( and a few off ) I have concluded that some folk just do not belong in the hospitality profession 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So are the waiters/waitresses the ones that put food onto the plates or in the to-go boxes, or is it the cooks/food prep guys in the kitchen that do that part?  I don't know about Outback, but all the smaller places I've seen the food comes out of the kitchen either ready to serve or boxed, ready for take out; all the waiter/waitress ever does is puts it into bags or boxes, accepts payment, and hands over the package.

Edited by Cougar_ml

I don't order take out food to begin with. Heck, I only dine out when staying out of town over night. Then I tip around 20%, unless the food or service was crappy.

Back in Miami Beach they add tips to the check because so many foreign tourists are not used to tipping at all and the waiters wouldn't make enough money. On the other hand, this causes many domestic tourists to double-tip because they don't read their check properly, let alone when being drunk.

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

Whoever picked the meal up may have had some strict spending guidelines - ie they weren't sure they were allowed to go over the price quoted on the phone.

What I'm saying is that it is entirely possible the church wasn't trying to be cheap.

Second article says the church sent a volunteer who wasn't instructed to give a tip.  It also says the church reached out and compensated her for it. 

Yeah, she should have gotten a tip, but it's her own fault she got fired, and I doubt any restaurant is going to hire her after this.  

• Like 2

My guess is, had she talked to her manager and the manager reached out to the church, they most likely would have seen the oversight, and sent in some money to cover it, and everyone would have a job still and be happy.  She made a bad decision and is now slightly famous, though slightly less employable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I know, I made my comments based on the first link.

Something is wrong here. In one picture she look sexy and only has one chin. In another picture she still has only one chin but looks a little heftier. And in another, she looks like she has more chins than a Chinese telephone book.

99_FB.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Haha 1