Hit & Run Driver was huffing before crash that killed Wisconsin 3 Girl Scouts, injured 4th

TBO

[IMG] 

LAKE HALLIE, Wis. (AP) — A young driver was inhaling chemical vapors, or huffing, just prior to striking and killing three Girl Scouts and a mother and critically injuring a fourth girl who had been picking up trash along a rural Wisconsin highway, police said Monday.

Colten Treu, 21, sped off after the collision in Lake Hallie Saturday morning, but later surrendered.

Treu was being held in the Chippewa County Jail on 13 possible charges, including four counts of intoxicated use of a motor vehicle, Chippewa County Sheriff’s Sgt. Robert Jensen said. He is expected to appear for a bond hearing at 10 a.m. Monday, Jensen said.

Lake Hallie police said Monday Treu and a passenger in the pickup truck both told investigators they had intentionally been inhaling chemical vapors just prior to the crash.

Lake Hallie police said Monday that the deceased were: 9-year-old Jayna Kelley and 10-year-old Autum Helgeson, both of Lake Hallie, and 10-year-old Haylee Hickle and her 32-year-old mother, Sara Jo Schneider, from the Town of Lafayette.

The surviving girl was hospitalized in Rochester in critical condition.

The children were all fourth graders at Halmstad Elementary School and Southview Elementary School in nearby Chippewa Falls, about 90 miles (145 kilometers) east of Minneapolis.

Two small groups of Girl Scouts and their adult chaperones wore bright green safety vests Saturday as they walked along both sides of County Highway P, which they had adopted as a community service project.

Lake Hallie police Sgt. Daniel Sokup said Saturday that Treu’s black Ford F-150 crossed a lane Saturday morning and veered into a roadside ditch, striking the victims.

Hundreds of community members huddled under umbrellas in the biting rain Sunday evening for a candlelight vigil outside Halmstad Elementary. Girl Scouts sang songs in memory of the victims, who were members of Troop 3055. A makeshift memorial of teddy bears, balloons and candles was set up on two wooden benches.

“Our hearts are broken for the girls and families of the Girl Scouts of the Northwestern Great Lakes,” CEO Sylvia Acevedo of Girl Scouts of the USA said in a statement Sunday. “The Girl Scout Movement everywhere stands with our sister Girl Scouts in Wisconsin to grieve and comfort one another in the wake of this terrible tragedy.”

In a message to parents, Superintendent Heidi Eliopoulos said: “This is a difficult time for our students, families and staff. We will be providing ongoing support for both students (and) families and staff for as long as needed.”

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

The Ford F-140 has a history of control problems. Well documented

must have been the trucks fault for not staying on the road.

Attempting to blame the failed, expensive, waste of time “War on Drugs we don’t like” is just the establishment trying to control the population

Can’t imagine any other possible reason this could happen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I don’t understand any of it Huffing, meth, heroin, cocaine, Maryjoeannagangaweedherbwonderdrug

It is easy to understand, amigo.

Folk with weak character will do whatever they please, whenever it pleases them without thought or concern for the consequences to others.

I am certain that this young man, even now, is sitting somewhere keening and wailing that it isn't fair!  He has a right to intoxicate himself and run over Girl Scouts!

He focused only on his most recent impulses then, he will focus on his 'bad luck' for a few weeks and if returned to society will do it all over again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

But so many are in favor of legalizing weed. 

Sure, let's make it easier for people to get high and go out for a drive.

He wasn't doing weed, so I don't see the connection there.  Getting high and driving is already illegal, legalizing weed won't change that.  Kinda similar to shooting people, it's already illegal, making the gun illegal won't change anything.  Your argument is also applicable to alcohol.  Should we make that illegal?

Heinlein thought the punishment should fit the crime and I agree.  

I say stake this guy out on the side or the road then have someone run over him with an F150 and let him sit there without medical attention for however long those girls sat there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Attempting to blame the failed, expensive, waste of time “War on Drugs we don’t like” is just the establishment trying to control the population

Can’t imagine any other possible reason this could happen.

This was sarcasm in expectation of the same old tired argument

8 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

He wasn't doing weed, so I don't see the connection there.  Getting high and driving is already illegal, legalizing weed won't change that.  Kinda similar to shooting people, it's already illegal, making the gun illegal won't change anything.  Your argument is also applicable to alcohol.  Should we make that illegal?

This is the same old argument

Dogs gonna bark

• Like 1

Just now, Dric902 said:

This was sarcasm in expectation of the same old tired argument

This is the same old argument

Dogs gonna bark

I'm not sure how it's the same old argument.  Someone breaks the law by huffing and somehow that means we shouldn't make weed legal?  If concern over people driving under the influence is an argument for making or keeping an intoxicant illegal I don't see how you defend alcohol consumption.  I'll be willing to bet my next paycheck that the number of people killed by drunk drivers every year is orders of magnitude higher than the number of people killed by drivers high on weed.  It's not even close.

'My' same old argument is that what I ingest, or not, isn't the government's business.  What I do out in public or on a public road IS the governments business.  Pretty straightforward.

BTW, just because an argument has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I'm not sure how it's the same old argument.  Someone breaks the law by huffing and somehow that means we shouldn't make weed legal?  If concern over people driving under the influence is an argument for making or keeping an intoxicant illegal I don't see how you defend alcohol consumption.  I'll be willing to bet my next paycheck that the number of people killed by drunk drivers every year is orders of magnitude higher than the number of people killed by drivers high on weed.  It's not even close.

'My' same old argument is that what I ingest, or not, isn't the government's business.  What I do out in public or on a public road IS the governments business.  Pretty straightforward.

BTW, just because an argument has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's wrong.

Inanimate objects, such as firearms, raw botanical samples, refined botanical samples, rocks, rivers, planets, stars, black holes all have no moral component.

They do have behavior.  They just don't sit there.

However, they cannot legitimately be deemed good or bad, saintly or evil.

It is the use of such inanimate objects by humans, that behavior, that proves to be a problem.

Consider that someone could deliver a gunny sack, approximately 100 pounds, of cocaine or heroin to me and I would have no use for it.  It would, in fact, be in my way.

Deliver the same gunny sack to a drug addict and he would obviously be delighted and use the contents as he will, but, neither the addict or me has changed the nature of the goods inside the sack, no?

Outlawing inanimate objects only has the effect of making them more difficult to obtain, it does not and cannot change the nature of the object and cannot assign the object a moral value.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Yup, that’s it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

Folk with weak character will do whatever they please, whenever it pleases them without thought or concern for the consequences to others

You have squarely hit that nail on the head so perfectly, compa

you must have used a slide rule

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, tous said:

Inanimate objects, such as firearms, raw botanical samples, refined botanical samples, rocks, rivers, planets, stars, black holes all have no moral component.

They do have behavior.  They just don't sit there.

However, they cannot legitimately be deemed good or bad, saintly or evil.

It is the use of such inanimate objects by humans, that behavior, that proves to be a problem.

Consider that someone could deliver a gunny sack, approximately 100 pounds, of cocaine or heroin to me and I would have no use for it.  It would, in fact, be in my way.

Deliver the same gunny sack to a drug addict and he would obviously be delighted and use the contents as he will, but, neither the addict or me has changed the nature of the goods inside the sack, no?

Outlawing inanimate objects only has the effect of making them more difficult to obtain, it does not and cannot change the nature of the object and cannot assign the object a moral value.

I think the story just goes to show that no matter what's legal or illegal, Fk'ed up people are going to find a way to get a buzz and with many of them the behavior is going to become habitual.

Some people are binge drinkers. Some people do drugs.  Some people do these things when they're young but they grow out of it. But if you kill someone while under the influence you don't deserve any second chances. Huffing is one of the worst thing you can do, It can actually cause permanent brain damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M&P15T said:

But so many are in favor of legalizing weed. 

Sure, let's make it easier for people to get high and go out for a drive.

I understand your point, but I don't think legalizing it would make it easier for people to drive while stoned. It's illegal to DWI now, it would still be illegal then.

Anyway (and if you want to say I'm running from a fight you'd be right) I value your friendship more than I want to argue the point. I hope the idiot in question dies in prison realizes the error of his ways and spends years regretting what he's done.

11 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I pretty much understand the others, but the "huffing" not so much. And the "huffpo" not at all.

Imagine you are a doper who is is REALLY into their drug of choice... and since dope use kills the drive in many users... you run low on $.

What to do what to do... oh, shoplift and sniff = no $ required, and you can scratch your itch to get high. 

• Like 2

"Treu, 21 years old, has several arrests on his record, including one for driving while intoxicated (operating with a prohibited blood alcohol content)."

"Exactly. The police had to track him down and pound on his door. To state that he “turned himself in” is misleading."

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/colten-treu/

3 young kids and a mother are gone. Imagine what their fathers, mothers and siblings are going through. Several families destroyed by just one guy.

They had been cleaning the highway voluntarily.

I'm out of words. Poor kids. R.I.P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[IMG] 
Young Jayna Kelley, with her mother, Robin Kelley, a teacher at Jayna’s elementary school, during the roadside cleanup on Saturday. The photo was taken just minutes before the crash, Robin Kelley said.

[IMG] 
From top left, clockwise, Autumn Helgeson, Sara Jo Schneider, Jayna Kelley and Haylee Hickle.
  • Sad 3

It would not do for me to be the father of one of the girls or the husband of the woman/mom who were killed. My one mission in life would have had a significant shift to the dark side...if you get my drift. I just served on a jury in OK where a father was charged with second-degree murder for the carbon monoxide death of his 8-year-old physically handicapped son. We found him guilty and gave him 20 years which is effectively life for the guy since he is 58. I hope the laws in WI allow for a similar charge(s) that will give the jury an opportunity to stack time on this guy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TBO said:

Imagine you are a doper who is is REALLY into their drug of choice... and since dope use kills the drive in many users... you run low on $.

What to do what to do... oh, shoplift and sniff = no $ required, and you can scratch your itch to get high. 

Yep.  And from my experience it sometimes winds up being their drug of choice.  Around here this is their favorite:

Dust-off Disposable Compressed Gas Duster, 10oz Can (FALDPSXL)

• Like 1