AURORA tonight

I saw them once as a kid up in northern Wisconsin. Scared the F outta me. Totally irrational, I know, but even as an adult, I don't really have any desire to see those lights again. And that's coming from someone who has been to Alaska a lot.

33 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I saw them once as a kid up in northern Wisconsin. Scared the F outta me. Totally irrational, I know, but even as an adult, I don't really have any desire to see those lights again. And that's coming from someone who has been to Alaska a lot.

And I have the reverse desire.  I would love to see them again. Only once was I lucky.  My dad saw then in the Navy in the North Atlantic where it covered the sky.

• Like 1

My best friend lives up there near the OP, and he posted up some decent pics from last night. I'm sure I'd get over it, considering my enjoyment of geological and astronomical things. I just remember a feeling of dread, seeing those curtains of light. Like I said, totally irrational.

4 hours ago, Zonny said:

I’m making a Winter trip up there at some point. I WILL see them before I leave this earth. 

F200515D-A8BF-4078-BAD4-4D355FB4EA43.jpeg

Your best chance will be in the Fairbanks area. Be prepared for bone chilling cold there. Or perhaps head to one of the hot springs where you can bask in nature's warmth while viewing the Northern Lights. 

• Like 1