Travel Insurance - "Worth it" or "Too many exclusions to be valuable"?

F14Scott

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next Spring.  Two people, a little over a week, a few grand per person total, including airfare.  Travel insurance is between $250 and $600, depending on the coverage levels and, at the high end, if you want to be able to CNX for "any reason," in which case they refund up to half your costs.

Anyone ever use the policies?  It seems like, for most stuff, it would take a pretty significant event to screw the trip up badly enough to have the policy kick in.  But, I guess that's what insurance is for: catastrophic stuff.  I can't think of what would prevent us from taking the trip, but the odds of a huge weather system hitting HI, a complete airline shutdown, a hotel collapse, or a massive health problem seem fairly low.

Any anecdotes for or against travel insurance?

My parents did when the sadly had to cancel a cruise. Other than being hard to deal with...they got their refund. They just had to prove without a doubt they missed the trip for medical reasons.

If you are spending a couple grand per person I would get the insurance knowing the limitations.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wonder about this too.  If for some reason I missed the trip, it wouldn't really bother me that much.  And even if you do go on the trip, in a week the event is over and the money is gone. 

I mostly travel to please my wife.  Fortunately for me, we don't go that much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F14Scott said:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next Spring.  Two people, a little over a week, a few grand per person total, including airfare.  Travel insurance is between $250 and $600, depending on the coverage levels and, at the high end, if you want to be able to CNX for "any reason," in which case they refund up to half your costs.

Anyone ever use the policies?  It seems like, for most stuff, it would take a pretty significant event to screw the trip up badly enough to have the policy kick in.  But, I guess that's what insurance is for: catastrophic stuff.  I can't think of what would prevent us from taking the trip, but the odds of a huge weather system hitting HI, a complete airline shutdown, a hotel collapse, or a massive health problem seem fairly low.

Any anecdotes for or against travel insurance?

At that time of year, for that amount, in Hawaii, nah.  I've been all over the world in both directions over the course of decades.  Never would travel insurance have ever helped me.  

• Like 2

Travel insurance?  No, not worth it especially for this trip. Insurance to cover medical and security expenses when traveling, like Global Rescue?  Very possibly worthwhile especially if you are doing a higher risk activity, like hunting. Traveling in the U.S. is not a big deal, but I have a Global Rescue policy for ex-US travel. 

Edited by SigMan

Also...book directly with the hotel and airline. Third party vendors (Priceline, Expedia etc) are notorious for being slow to respond or unresponsive altogether when things go pear shaped.  

For a major vacation, a good travel agent can be a real game changer for an infrequent traveler.  They will have access to airline/hotel customer service that is normally reserved for elite-level frequent travelers.

The only thing I would buy trip insurance for would be an expensive cruise. Something that has a drop-dead date for arrival that a simple flight delay could ruin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Presguy said:

So.. you can tell I'm not a huge fan, though I'll still buy it once in a while. It's really not that expensive when you consider the cost of a nice vacation, if it's giving you peace of mind.

That's pretty much the point I was trying to make.   I make fairly regular trips to Europe and don't bother with it.  But then again I blend well once there.  Everyone thinks I'm Dutch.   No idea why. 

Anyway.  If i were doing something more exotic such as a $10,000 trip to Alaska or Hawaii  I would consider it.  If you're spending 10 grand on a vacation why bother worrying about 500 bucks insurance?