Farm Dogs Who Can Allow to Run.. Who Has..?

DrB

My Border Collie 3 Years old decided it would be fun to chase something over a fallen tree into the fence and brambles. Free to run..  Later at the Vet many stitches from leg ripped open. She was still ready to go when we got home..  $500.00 but was worth it to see my dog with the Border Collie attitude, wanting to run when we got home ....

Dave

• Like 1

When we lived out on a farm our Chessie mix got stepped on by a dairy cow (best guess). Had a toe removed as a result. 

The two of them also got skunked a few times, drug home a frozen Pygmy goat (it had died of exposure) and a deer carcass.  It was always an adventure.  

• Like 1

Pulled over 100 quills from my Golden Pyrenees when she got nailed while out on a trip to my remote cabin. She took it pretty well. Had quills all around one eye, and luckily none in her eye. Had a Husky that obviously killed and attempted to eat a porcupine. I got all but a few of the quills out of him, but he had some way back in his throat. Got a tranquilizer pill from the vet and was able to wrench out even those way back in  the throat with needle nose pliers. Dogs.

• Like 1

As heartless as this may seem, any dog on our ranch that was not ours, got zipped just like any other varmint.  Dog runs cows, dog cost the old man $, fences, broken legs, etc.  It was always s-s-s.

"Hey Jim, have you seen my dog?"

"What's it look like? Nope.  But, if I see him, I'll let you know."

There are many others like my dad out there.  Be careful where y'all let your dogs run.

• Like 2

I've lived here on the farm (my great-grandparents and grandparents place) since '87. Every dog I've had runs free. Mostly GSD's and the crap they drag home! Bones out of a fresh pile of turkey litter, various carcasses of whatever they got into a fight with, tree branches from the grove...the list goes on. 

One night many years ago I had a GSD that was barking like hell. Grabbed the gun and light, go out to the edge of the grove and here he has hold of the front leg of an eight point buck! I yelled at him, he let's go to look at me and the deer made a straight beeline for the light....being held by ME. They probably heard me screaming in Denver. As I was running all I could hear was the crunching of snow as the deer passed me and went off to the left. Bucks in the rut do some weird things.

I bet that deer had fun telling all his buddies about the great deer hunter he scared the hell out of. 

• Like 1

Wife and I have lived in location in rural S.E. Oklahoma since 1977. We have always had Dogs and never leased or fended them in. Our German Shepherd and our 1/2 Laborador/Australian Shepherd can open the storm door and come in and out of our house at will. They also stay on the property where we stay in towns when we take them visiting out of state. When traveling, we let them out of the vehicle (most places except NYC, Dallas) without a leash. They get back in the truck when called. However, we have lost some male Dogs from home over the years..... never females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk