hate speech??

refugeepj

I am no expert on this area of law:

But...this is pretty much how i understand how it works.

Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.[1][2] The law of some countries describes hate speech as speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display that incites violence or prejudicial action against a protected group or individual on the basis of their membership of the group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership of the group.

-----

Not sure how Facebook thinks that cartoon was any of those things.

I'd argue it with them.  Just because you can.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Historian said:

I am no expert on this area of law:

But...this is pretty much how i understand how it works.

Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.[1][2] The law of some countries describes hate speech as speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display that incites violence or prejudicial action against a protected group or individual on the basis of their membership of the group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership of the group.

-----

Not sure how Facebook thinks that cartoon was any of those things.

I'd argue it with them.  Just because you can.

With respect to U.S. law, hate speech doesn’t exist. There are certain categories of speech excluded from First Amendment protection, and some of those categories may encompass what some would say is hate speech. But U.S. law doesn’t recognize a “hate speech” category of speech. Those who claim ot suggest otherwise are intentionally or unintentionally seeking to erode First Amendment protections. 

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the structure of FB.  I can go online and see videos and photos of my daughter and grand babies living in Japan.  I have friends and relatives all over the world and FB is the best platform in which to stay in touch and keep up with those folks.

Is FB liberal, corrupt, and fundamentally a flawed leftist organization?  Absolutely.

But show me a better way to stay in touch with dozens of family and friend around the world.

• Like 2

I had a Facebook account for about three weeks.  I realized I had nothing to say, so I deleted it.

I have an Instagram account that I’ve never used.  I may delete it, too.

I’m sorry, but my life just isn’t that interesting.  And things that do interest me are not mainstream.

18 hours ago, Ramjet38 said:

Free speech is not hate speech.  Just because it offends you tuff ****.

Not ever joining F-Book.

If anything:  Free speech is about those things that DO offend you.

Larry Flynt is not a man I would enjoy meeting.   He is, however, a brilliant defender of that very concept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1