Here's a man who was armed and ready

Borg warner

I'm betting this man had some training and practiced regularly with his carry gun. He showed courage under fire and had the speed and accuracy to do the job.

CBS News October 29, 2018, 10:04 AM

Dad at McDonald's with kids shoots and kills masked gunman who opened fire

A father dining with his children at McDonald's in Birmingham, Alabama, fatally shot a masked man who entered the fast food restaurant and opened fire, CBS affiliate WIAT reports.

Birmingham Police responded to the McDonald's at around 10:45 p.m. Sunday after receiving reports that multiple people had been shot. When an employee opened the door to let a father and his two sons out of the restaurant, a masked man entered. The man then began shooting. Investigators say it is not clear whether he intended to rob the McDonald's or was targeting someone inside.

The father then opened fire on the gunman, fatally wounding him. The unidentified dad and one of his kids, a minor, were also struck, but do not have life-threatening injuries. A woman who was waiting for her food at the drive-thru recalled hearing “eight or nine shots ring out.” She said those shots were followed by the sound of two more.

The investigation is still ongoing, but based on the preliminary information, the father won't face any charges, the station reports. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/birmingham-mcdonalds-shooting-father-shoots-and-kills-masked-gunman-who-opened-fire-at-alabama-restaurant/

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, janice6 said:

Decide if your willing to shoot someone ahead of time, you won't get the chance to decide during the conflict. 

Many people carry but are not ready to shoot another person.

When an angry young man approached my driver's side with a tire iron, he was about 2 steps from having an acceptable backstop behind him. Fortunately for us both, he was encouraged to make a wise decision. My decision was already made.

But yeah, that ain't the time to have a moral battle in your head. There's enough going on in there- "Do I have a duty to retreat? Am I in fear of my life? Is this person committing a forcible felony? Where do my bullets go if I miss?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, janice6 said:

As easily as you could be a "good witness", you could also be a "dead witness".

I can't imagine leaving that decision up to someone else.

Very true.  When someone is willing to act and has a good aim, sometimes what is tragic can be ended before it becomes catastrophic.  A bad aim, and unfamiliarity with the tool you carry, and you may do as much or more damage than the person who came in shooting.  So, for the courageous CHL holders with good aim, stopping something terrible from happening, that's great.  Someone who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and the softball CHL course looks like it was hit with a shotgun that missed the target, please, please just don't.  But, for the guy with a good group, that knows his tool, it could solve the problem before it becomes a problem.  I was always told an armed society, is a polite society.  Frankly, it was when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was making graffiti on rocks, it was.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For a citizen carrying a gun, the duty to disengage if possible means that you will be shooting at closer distances than many law enforcement.  If you have distance you can try to get outt'a Dodge!  A law enforcement officer, most likely is dealing with a different type of criminal, and the LEO has little choice to disengage.  More often than not, the LEO has to bring the event to an end right there.

The argument I am trying to make is that probably, not always, but probably, the CCW carrier will be at very close distances but with a miniscule advantage that the criminal doesn't believe the perceived victim can protect themselves.  Concealment can work well, when the criminal thinks he has the advantage and you are defenseless.  He isn't prepared to shoot, and most likely, he doesn't want to shoot, unless he feels he must as a last resort.  Action beats reaction.  Enough that your odds are significantly increased.

The legal citizen had the advantage of a concealed weapon, plus he is not only prepared to shoot, he is prepared to shoot first.  Don't ignore the security video showing a criminal with a gun on a victim, and yet the victim draws and shoots the BG before the BG knows what happening.  Concealment is a significant advantage when used properly.

Remember the advice in the movie.  "If your going to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk!".

Did anyone see this follow up article of the Birmingham AL McDonald's shooting, with an interview of the victim father from earlier this year?

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/01/08/father-who-shot-masked-gunman-mcdonalds-speaks-first-time/

“The first shot hit me in my back and I hit the ground. And he came over me and shot me again from behind,” Cooper said. “I just sprung back up thinking about my kids. The kids was in the building and he was running in the building behind me.”

As he was running, police say Sanders was now firing inside the restaurant.

Cooper ran inside too, pulled his own gun and shot Sanders dead.

Edited by fastbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:25 PM, larry_minn said:

Let's be honest.  Most people miss.  I have seen a 75% miss rate for Police Officers described as "very good"

. To be fair.  They can be shooting at much longer distances then a CCWP holder.

That depends on who you work for.  We qualified 4 times a year, all the way out to 25 yards with a pistol.  If you missed 75 percent of the time, they would confiscate your badge, creds, firearm, and passport and send you to remedials.  I have only heard of that happening a couple of times. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, DWARREN123 said:

Stressful situations will affect you ability to shoot. Practice trains your body to do what is needed.

Better than practice, shoot in competitions.  That teaches you to deal with an adrenalin rush.  My competition shooting helped me deal with my home invasion a lot more than any practicing I had done. 

• Like 2