CNET is into political BS now?

RenoF250

Were you not ever a young man and had people assume you were up to no good?  I was a good kid, but there were rotten old people who assumed the worst because of my age and sex.  I only half blame them, because I know a lot of young men are indeed up to no good.  That didn't mean that it didn't suck to be automatically suspect.

That's life for black people in many places, not just in white neighborhoods but black neighborhoods, too.

Yes, white people can be thieves.  But black people who aren't thieves know what it's like for people to see them as automatically suspect.  

The author may have some further liberal opinions I don't agree with.  But if you think this point in itself is problematic, you are blind to the issue...  Which is why the article was written.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JTMac said:

Were you not ever a young man and had people assume you were up to no good?  I was a good kid, but there were rotten old people who assumed the worst because of my age and sex.  I only half blame them, because I know a lot of young men are indeed up to no good.  That didn't mean that it didn't suck to be automatically suspect.

That's life for black people in many places, not just in white neighborhoods but black neighborhoods, too.

Yes, white people can be thieves.  But black people who aren't thieves know what it's like for people to see them as automatically suspect.  

The author may have some further liberal opinions I don't agree with.  But if you think this point in itself is problematic, you are blind to the issue...  Which is why the article was written.

I think you’re missing the point of the dissent.  Fifty sixty years ago, white kids were told the same thing, at least.  In the 60’s and 70’s there would have been an additional reason because of skin color.  But this young lady is a little young for that, so was her mother.  So it is more an example of living in the past.  Which we see too often, and it keeps people from reaching their potential.  

Hawk 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brown Hawk said:

I think you’re missing the point of the dissent.  Fifty sixty years ago, white kids were told the same thing, at least.  In the 60’s and 70’s there would have been an additional reason because of skin color.  But this young lady is a little young for that, so was her mother.  So it is more an example of living in the past.  Which we see too often, and it keeps people from reaching their potential.  

Hawk 

I am not saying that it isn't better now than it was before.  I didn't catch that in the article, either.

But that doesn't mean the phenomenon  doesn't exist now.  And many black parents raise their children to be acutely aware of these things, because things used to be worse, so it is fresh in the minds of many.

45 minutes ago, JTMac said:

I am not saying that it isn't better now than it was before.  I didn't catch that in the article, either.

But that doesn't mean the phenomenon  doesn't exist now.  And many black parents raise their children to be acutely aware of these things, because things used to be worse, so it is fresh in the minds of many.

You are correct in that black parents and communities still teach that, which continuously promotes the victim mentality.  Which is one of the major problems today.  If you are a victim, then you have to have help, you can’t do it yourself.  

But today, if something like that happens, there is a lot of recourse through the law, etc.  Look up Candace Owens for another black perspective.  

Hawk 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

What a load of ****, I am as white as they come and I got this from my mother as well and I still think about it in every store I am walking in.  White people can steal just as well as black people and everyone with a brain knows it.  What a load of horse****.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-go-avoid-discrimination-shopping-commentary/

Thank you for the link. And please think before you post. In my neighborhood, color doesn’t matter we look out for each other. 

White people stealing millions with a nice suit and tie, black in the gangbanger garb, bikers who schlep the meth, mafia, cartel and people who don’t pick up the crap after their dog... all enemies and enemas of the state. 

32 minutes ago, Moeman said:

CNET, this forum, the dive bar, little league, most churches, strip bars, grocery stores, family bbq... all hell name me something not political ...

That's one of Rush's theories.  If it can be politicized, it can be controlled. 

And he's right.  Look where we are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moeman said:

Thank you for the link. And please think before you post. In my neighborhood, color doesn’t matter we look out for each other. 

White people stealing millions with a nice suit and tie, black in the gangbanger garb, bikers who schlep the meth, mafia, cartel and people who don’t pick up the crap after their dog... all enemies and enemas of the state. 

I think there is confusion, and we are saying the same thing.  I am saying she is wrong to think people only worry about black people stealing, they worry about everyone stealing and my mom taught me to keep my hands in my pockets for the same reason.  Even as an adult if I walk in a store and walk out I feel like they think I am stealing and try to walk by them with open hands so they know I am not.

• Like 1

I think the real problem with the post is that she uses the words “implicit bias”, which is also called “unconscious bias”.  Which is the idea is that bigotry and racism is there in the subconscious, and it controls our thoughts and reactions and actions and we have no control over it.  Therefore, all white people are always looking for ways to crush black people.  This is very big on college campuses.  

This link is Ben Shapiro talking to a young black lady on the subject.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ukkV4rwECTI

Personally, I take offense at being told I am so helpless and driven by impulses that I cannot ever control them - because I don’t know what I am doing, I just do it.  

Hawk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brown Hawk said:

Which is the idea is that bigotry and racism is there in the subconscious, and it controls our thoughts and reactions and actions and we have no control over it.

Personally, I take offense at being told I am so helpless and driven by impulses that I cannot ever control them - because I don’t know what I am doing, I just do it. 

Racism and prejudice will never go away until they succeed in modifying human nature.

IT'S A SURVIVAL INSTINCT!

"Whoa!  That thing / person doesn't look like me.  It wants to EAT me!!!  I'd better be careful / wary and keep vigilant eye on it and be ready to kill it!"

You don't think all monkeys (all animals!) do that?

"Whoa.  Every time that thing comes around, it takes our food and snatches our babies. I'll run up a tree and howl the alarm!"

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

Racism and prejudice will never go away until they succeed in modifying human nature.

IT'S A SURVIVAL INSTINCT!

"Whoa!  That thing / person doesn't look like me.  It wants to EAT me!!!  I'd better be careful / wary and keep vigilant eye on it and be ready to kill it!"

You don't think all monkeys (all animals!) do that?

"Whoa.  Every time that thing comes around, it takes our food and snatches our babies. I'll run up a tree and howl the alarm!"

We aren’t monkeys or any other animal, which is how civilization has been built.  We can control feelings and impulses.  These kids are being told that white people can’t, and they’re buying into it.  I didn’t say that there weren’t idiots around.  I said that “unconscious or implicit bias” is not provable.  I especially dislike the idea that only white people have it, and no one else does.  And that is what is being taught in college.  Which is why I attached that video.  

Yes, racism and prejudice will always exist, but so should self-control, which keeps them from controlling our actions.  In connection, look up micro aggression, safe space, and trigger warnings.  

Hawk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are monkeys!  And we are only animals! 

And, not just one color of fur does it.  That's just an excuse for people to try to get what they can't manage to get otherwise.  (Ever read Go Set A Watchman?)  (Ever go to The Root website?)

"Civilization" today is just a watered-down version of human history.  Just because someone puts on a robe and bangs a gavel doesn't change any of it.  The day we manage to eliminate human instinct will be the beginning of our extinction.

Edited by Huaco Kid

On 10/27/2018 at 11:04 PM, JTMac said:

I am confused how people misunderstand me.  Yes, I have had people think I was up to no good (or at least thought they did which is the point of this article) that is my point.  It is not unique to black people, everyone is suspect to stealing. 

So to summarize, she is saying "they think I am stealing because I am black." 

I am saying "no they think you are stealing because they think everyone is stealing."

15 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

We are monkeys!  And we are only animals! 

And, not just one color of fur does it.  That's just an excuse for people to try to get what they can't manage to get otherwise.  (Ever read Go Set A Watchman?)  (Ever go to The Root website?)

"Civilization" today is just a watered-down version of human history.  Just because someone puts on a robe and bangs a gavel doesn't change any of it.  The day we manage to eliminate human instinct will be the beginning of our extinction.

We're not monkeys, we are apes.

• Like 1