Weight losers, long range plans...

ARP

I heard on radio report, Town Hall, that cardio fitness regardless of age was a factor in extending life. I know, no one is getting out of here alive. I have not had any serious knee or hip or back problems, I was heavily into bicycle riding until about 5 years as go (into meaning doing an ave of about 2k miles a year at an aerobic pace) for about 8 years. I wont run, too hard on joints. I walk wearing a weighted vest. I am feeling the need to go aerobic and regain that fitness level again. Still have all the gear, just need to dedicate time and effort.

My usual place to ride ia a 20 mile loop on a rail to trail, beautiful route, road riding has become too dangerous. Time to push forward.

Plans?

Have you considered swimming?  

If you have an indoor pool available to you it’s a great option.  

It’s low impact on your joints for the most part and it will strengthen your core if you swim with proper form. 

I swam competively growing up so it is natural to me.  If you’re not a swimmer then find a coach to give you a few weeks worth of lessons.  Proper form is paramount or the level of cardio benefit you get won’t exceed a walk around the block.

I try to swim 4 miles per week, though the last two months I have not met that goal due to having a stomach bug and a cold that took me out for a while. 

I aim for a thirty minute mile, though these days I usually miss that mark by a minute and a half or so. That’s still under 1 minute per 50 yards, two 25 yard lengths, or 1 lap. 

If you’re interested let me know. I have some links to videos I like for basic freestyle introduction. 

I am a bicycle officer. I ride a bike at work and am about to request to leave that assignment. Neck and shoulder pain, hand pain, and carpal tunnel in my wrist is nagging me after four years in the saddle.  Long range bike riding isn’t sustainable for most people. 

Edited by Collim1

Im afraid it would be time restrictive for availability for me. My work schedule varies 24/7, so when I see a few hour hole in it, I will have to react and decide what I want to do, either walk with weight, shooting, or bike ride.

I should also look at adding weight training post cardio workout. Whatever muscle I have, need to strengthen it. Again, I have all the gear on hand for that too.

Edited by ARP

I also do the 5x5 workout with weights to maintain muscle mass. I have modified and added to it over time to fit my needs better, but starting out it’s a great way to build you overall strength very quickly. 

I had a chronic illness get the better of me a few years ago and I came out of it weak as a 12 year old girl. This workout literally gave me my life back. It got my core strength to a point where I can work and enjoy my off time again. 

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I would definelty recommend doing weights prior to cardio and not vise versa.  Less chance of injury if you’re fresh when you hit the weights.

Edited by Collim1

The AHA and JNC-8 both recommend 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of activity.  I've been on the treadmill in the garage, but honestly only for about 15 minutes at a time, maybe 3 days a week. Definitely need to get that up to at least 15 minutes every day. Probably 10 pounds away from getting back on the bike- like you said, trails and loops are the way to go. People either don't see you, or you have a target on your back riding on the street.

There's a nice 2 mile loop with a hill a few miles away. Goes around a softball complex, a soccer field, a playground. Decent ride, usually good scenery too.

30 minutes ago, tadbart said:

The AHA and JNC-8 both recommend 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of activity.

I usually get 16X that ever day at work.

I expect to keep skating until global warming makes it impossible.  (even pick-up games.  which is actually really a good way to get hurt, because you may not know everyone and there are frequently some gung-ho goons that show up.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tadbart said:

The AHA and JNC-8 both recommend 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of activity.  I've been on the treadmill in the garage, but honestly only for about 15 minutes at a time, maybe 3 days a week. Definitely need to get that up to at least 15 minutes every day. Probably 10 pounds away from getting back on the bike- like you said, trails and loops are the way to go. People either don't see you, or you have a target on your back riding on the street.

There's a nice 2 mile loop with a hill a few miles away. Goes around a softball complex, a soccer field, a playground. Decent ride, usually good scenery too.

Weather might keep me from riding much, I have cold weather gear, but if we get snow......I have never ridden in snow. Cold at 15 mph kinda hurts.

• Like 1