Mind-blowing Math

tadbart

Wow. I just figured out how many shifts I have left at my current job as an ER Nurse.

In 285 days, I graduate from grad school. I work 2 out of the 7 days a week. Therefore, the formula for how many shifts I have left is:

2/7 = x/285. cross multiply, you get 7x = 570. divide both sides by 7 to get x = 81.4

81 shifts left of a job that I have loved, even though it has also eaten my soul. I have touched lives, heard more screams of pain and horror than I can recall, been wrong almost as much as I've been right. At the end of the day, I think I've made a positive dent in my community, and served their needs better than I've screwed up.

Granted, it's faulty math, as I still have to take state boards and get hired, then credentialed. but the fact that there's a double digit number- man, that is YUGE!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, c10bonanza said:

Or 285/7 = 40.7

40.7*2 = 81.4

Either way = Congrats!

dudemanbro.

wtf did you just do???

that's like measuring the empty space in a syringe and figuring out how much medicine is in what's left!

Thanks, amigo! I am in between scared shitless and filled with anticipation.

I have some decent mentors, but let me tell ya- going from BSN to MSN in the FNP role is not a logical progression. Lots of behind-the-scenes stress, man.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, crockett said:

Was supposed to be a compliment.

Maaaannnn… if you're legit sick, it's truly a pleasure to do what I do for you. I'll sweat and worry and get **** done to get you better.

And if I could find the ER gig that only took care of legitimately emergently ill patients, I'd be all up in that. Or even legit urgent care / fast track type patients.

But the Methican-Americans and the drunks and the dirtyfeets and the hoodrats and the worknote crowd and the "toothache. oh, and chest pain" and the drug seekers, the hyperdramademiacs, the endstage fibrodilaudiditis, the hypercantcopia...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Maaaannnn… if you're legit sick, it's truly a pleasure to do what I do for you. I'll sweat and worry and get **** done to get you better.

And if I could find the ER gig that only took care of legitimately emergently ill patients, I'd be all up in that. Or even legit urgent care / fast track type patients.

But the Methican-Americans and the drunks and the dirtyfeets and the hoodrats and the worknote crowd and the "toothache. oh, and chest pain" and the drug seekers, the hyperdramademiacs, the endstage fibrodilaudiditis, the hypercantcopia...

I was a first responder after high school for 3 years on the weekends. Different system: picked up the docs on standby duty with red/blue/siren at their home and rushed them to accident scenes, hospitals, meet up with ambulance in the middle of nowhere, patients homes, you name it. 48 hours shift. One time I was out 47 hours.

I saw plenty of crap...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

I was a first responder after high school for 3 years on the weekends. Different system: picked up the docs on standby duty with red/blue/siren at their home and rushed them to accident scenes, hospitals, meet up with ambulance in the middle of nowhere, patients homes, you name it. 48 hours shift. One time I was out 47 hours.

I saw plenty of crap...

Brother. Thank you for doing what you did. I cut my teeth on an ambulance. There's something to be respected about the sleep deprivation, endured abuse and disrespect, and absolute ******* excellence that is displayed at 0300 when you're dealing with an overturned van full of Mexicans and the next unit is 40 minutes away. Attaboy, and thank you. I did quite a few doubles as well. First half at my station in town. Worst ever shift was 24 calls in 24 hours, with 2 codes, and had to go out of service to get fuel. My OT station was slower, but there was always a midday flyout- bull goring and hay bale machine accident come to mind.

Now, in my current well-lit, air-conditioned, gravy gig, working a whole 12 is tiring!

• Thanks 1