Semper Robot

TXUSMC

Been reading articles recently about the large percentage of the nation's youth who are not able to qualify for enlistment in the armed forces... mostly due to obesity, as well as some with mental health disqualifiers. At the same time, we're witnessing more human jobs lost to mechanization, at a faster rate, than at any time in history. Given that going back to a draft is a) vastly unpopular and b) totally unrealistic to sustain the modern armed forces, is it time to consider replacing most human warriors with robots/androids in the next 25 years?

We've taken the first steps with drone aircraft. Many large commercial ships are crewed with very few sailors. Can infantry units with androids be that far away?

As one of those old infantry guys, I see it coming. The only limiting factor will be if artificial intelligence can be fashioned to process ethical delimmas commonly found in war zones, especially dealing with kill/don't kill situations. And will our peer adversaries pursue this same path to modernize their own forces?

Lots of smart folks here... please chime in. 

Never happen.  Too many variables.  Robots work on an assembly line in repeatable operations.  Nothing in ground combat is repeatable.  Two quotes:  “The fog of war.”  And “No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.”  

Now the combat suits Robert Heinlein described in “Starship Troopers” (the book, not the stupid movie), that is very possible.  

Hawk 

• Like 1

Look at every real innovation and it isn't anything like what was initially conceived.

One of the problems in military robots already addressed in the past, is that the power system and the mechanization was way too noisy for battlefield use.

The most significant problem to solve in robotics, is the power source.  It must be very high output for a very long time, cheap and quiet.  Actually, this is the problem with many modern technological advancements.  An economical, high output, long lasting portable power source is the single most important goal in modern technology.

All the rest of this stuff is simple marking time.  before it's practical.

• Like 2

No.

Machine intelligence, a term that has been corrupted by marketing as artificial intelligence, will not replace humans in many endeavors, especially war.

I study and construct machine intelligence that models human cognition, that is, the way we solve problems.

That model, by definition, is wholly inferential, logical only.

So, can we give machine intelligence ethics?

Sure.  Just define the rules, but whose ethics?

Ghandi's?  Hitler's?  Caesar's?  Mother Teresa's? Nancy Pelosi's?

I often discuss with my colleagues if we can model human personality, both the good and the bad aspects and my response is always, We already have seven and a half billion assholes in the world, why would we want to manufacture more of them?

The age of the truly cognitive machine that can think and solve problems as humans do is years away, perhaps 50 or more.

In the meantime, studying it is more fun than you can have without inflatable sheep.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a former light Infantryman, I'm all for anything that Saves American blood. That being said, I have to agree with the old adage that there is no substitution to boots on the ground. There is no better killing machine ever devised than the American soldier.

Edited by KWalrad
  • Thanks 1