Just tasted a mint chocolate chip cookie . . .

Brown Hawk

And it made me think of Oakie, who hated all things mint.  At the time he posted that, I was staying in a hotel room with mints on the pillows, mint soap, mint shampoo, even a mint colored shower curtain and paint.  We had a short back and forth about that!  

Damn, I miss him.

Hawk 

• Like 9

I barely interacted with him at the old site (was much more of a lurker then), but don't recall ever seeing him utter a cross word in that time, and in my limited exchanges with him he always addressed me as 'my friend'. 

I know nothing of his past, but for sure in his present he was a kind, gentle and patient man.

Okie was a good dude, and the world is lessened by his passing.  It was really a kick in the gut when I read that he was gone.  :cry:

-Pat

Edited by Cubdriver
Extra word
  • Like 6

he was a one of the  coolest  and nicest  person i ever had the pleasure of speaking too,   we had a few pm's  back and forth .  the only person who did not have a bad word  against anyone  on the boards ,  and im on alot of boards   and there is no one as kind  as he was.  the good ones always go first it seems  i guess it was time for another angel in the gates

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember his white Dodge pickup that he was so proud of.  Had the Westin black brush guard on the front.  That was back when I was vehemently anti-Dodge and I had to bite my tongue regarding his pickup.  Years later, I ended up buying a white Dodge pickup and added a Westin brush guard…  :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Many folk we meet here -- and there-- are of a quality unsurpassed.

I mean, you may think you're cool, but you'll likely never be F14Scott zooming around in an F-14A cool, Caver60 flying B-52s over North Vietnam cool or willie-pete sitting in a control room with the key to nuclear missiles cool.

I know I have left out others equally accomplished.

I am humbly honored to be among them.

Edited by tous
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I remember his white Dodge pickup that he was so proud of.  Had the Westin black brush guard on the front.  That was back when I was vehemently anti-Dodge and I had to bite my tongue regarding his pickup.  Years later, I ended up buying a white Dodge pickup and added a Westin brush guard…  :whistling:

Serves you right for doubting him ???

I wouldn’t even try to make up a reply that he would make - but I can imagine the fun he would have.  

Hawk 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brown Hawk said:

Serves you right for doubting him ???

I wouldn’t even try to make up a reply that he would make - but I can imagine the fun he would have.  

Hawk 

Okie would probably say something like "you done good, my friend."

-Pat

• Like 5

One cool cat. "Guess what happened today at the salt mine..."

There was a fella similar to him, in that he was sorta the board's lovable uncle, on another forum. This guy would write pages of stories involving the board members, include little bits of everyone's personalities, really paint a detailed picture of the people in the story, from what he knew of them. We became friends outside of the forum, exchanging texts, emails, facebook greetings. Once, I had the chance to arrange a meet, but it would have meant driving 3 hours out of my way on a drive from Florida to Wyoming and back. Alas, I didn't do it. A year later, his sister posted on his facebook that he had a brain aneurysm and died.

Since then, I've always made more of an effort to shake the hands of the people that make a dent in me online. So far, so good.

RIP, Okie and GB. Y'all were good cats.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

Okie would probably say something like "you done good, my friend."

It’s amazing how many he impacted in a positive way on a forum where the majority are anonymous individuals.  

Imagine how much better the world would be if we treated the people we know like Okie treated strangers.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1