‘Transgender’ Could Be Defined Out of Existence Under Trump Administration

steve4102

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a governmentwide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law.

A series of decisions by the Obama administration loosened the legal concept of gender in federal programs, including in education and health care, recognizing gender largely as an individual’s choice and not determined by the sex assigned at birth. The policy prompted fights over bathrooms, dormitories, single-sex programs and other arenas where gender was once seen as a simple concept. Conservatives, especially evangelical Christians, were incensed.

Now the Department of Health and Human Services is spearheading an effort to establish a legal definition of sex under Title IX, the federal civil rights law that bans gender discrimination in education programs that receive government financial assistance, according to a memo obtained by The New York Times.

The department argued in its memo that key government agencies needed to adopt an explicit and uniform definition of gender as determined “on a biological basis that is clear, grounded in science, objective and administrable.” The agency’s proposed definition would define sex as either male or female, unchangeable, and determined by the genitals that a person is born with, according to a draft reviewed by The Times. Any dispute about one’s sex would have to be clarified using genetic testing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

Bout damn time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You were born with an innie or an outie. Cutting one off or sewing one on don't change nothing. Sometimes I think the world was a lot simpler when you had to struggle a bit too survive and didn't have time to worry about stupid stuff.

• Like 3

I am so ******* sick and tired of screaming tiny minority groups getting their own little special way because of political correctness, and everyone else being brow-beaten into "accepting" whatever the group represents, and then paying for their existence. 

When do I get federal money just for being myself?

Edited by M&P15T
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

I am so ******* sick and tired of screaming tiny minority groups getting their own little special way because of political correctness, and everyone else being brow-beaten into "accepting" whatever the group represents, and then paying for their existence. 

When do I get federal money just for being myself?

when you can prove that you're an overweight, female, minority, disabled, transgender, with no possible job skills and a whole lot of children without daddies that you have to take care of.

• Like 1

Today society is convincing people that they have to belong to some select group to have any significance.  It's gotten to the point where if you can't scream and holler for special treatment and recognition, you have no self worth.  They believe self worth can be bought with money and claimed without effort.

Formerly, your actions, efforts, and personal responsibilities, demonstrated to the world your self worth.  Now people want to sit on their ass and simply tell you how important they are, without any effort on their part.  Worse yet, many are convinced that if they are "special", they don't have to try to improve themselves on their own, they expect recognition just for existing and accomplishing nothing.

To be born and come into this world is simple.  Even the lowliest among us are able to procreate.  Just because you exist is no claim to fame.  To have any significance, you must try to improve and contribute to the betterment of society, not attempt to drain it of all its gifts.  There is value to contributing, but no value to leeching from others.

I don't respect anyone that must use the government to force me to say that they are essential to this country's existence.  I have all the respect in the world for those who try their best, and really show some effort towards being a better person and giving something back to society.  It makes no difference if you succeed in being the best of the best.  It only matters that you tried!

It is only important that you tried and thought of others while you were trying.  To try, is far more important  than to worry about the end result.  Those that try and still fail, deserve a hand up and the respect of others.  Those that demand without trying are a scourge on the community and drain its resources for nothing.

You are what you make yourself into.  Some people are content to be and remain nothing.  

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all.”
Michelangelo

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-C. F. Edison

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison

"Success requires a persistent misreading of the odds." -Tom Peters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gonzoso said:

I don’t get why people care what others do with their genitals. 

Many are are pro freedom but want the gov to regulate gender and sexuality?

who cares?  

Hmm, I can see that point of view.

On the other hand, it's similar to the government saying that everyone no matter what religion they belong to now has to follow the doctrine of a different one that has relatively few members just because those members complained a lot.  We don't care what religion they choose to follow, but we don't want it rammed down our throats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gonzoso said:

who cares?  

I couldn’t care less, until they want the gov to force me to pay for all the expensive operations, drugs, etc.  Which is what it’s all about, along with special treatment under the law, and forcing people to address them as zis or zir or whatever the flavor of the week is in order to stand out and get even more special treatment.  

And a 40% suicide rate is tragic, especially when the idea is pushed so hard.  

Hawk 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gonzoso said:

who cares?  

It is important because they want special protections. It is important to protect children. It is important to protect normalcy. I don't want my daughter to have to go to the locker rooms with boys that are mentally ill and think they are girls, but still have boy parts that still do what boy parts do. She should not be forced to submit to that or be punished for not liking it and voicing her concerns or disgust. I don't want my daughter to have to compete against men in sports that claim to be women. I do not want to be forced to pay for elective surgery to do sex changes.

I don't hate transgenders. I don't hate bi-polar people either, or people with food allergies. However, I should not have to change every aspect of my life, including my language to accommodate them.

I mean, if someone came to their doctor and said, I want to cut-off my arms. He would ask if there was a medical problem with them. If they said, no they are perfectly normal and healthy. The don't would suggest a mental health evaluation for concerns about self harm. Normal. mentally healthy people do not want to cut-off healthy appendages. Same would happen if you cam in and said, "hey doctor, could you sew a third arm on to my body?".

Legal terms need definitions that can easily be understood. This would set the definition to something that is easily and if necessarily, medically be determined.  The law needs those absolutes to avoid abuse. What if there were no legal definition of death. there could be no murder charges. The attacker would say, they are not dead. They are just in an extended non-breathing, non-heart functioning state.

I see nothing that says they want to regulate sexuality (I read that to be sexual partner preference), only gender(or what used to be and should still be called the noun form of "sex").

• Like 4