Trains

Eric

If you notice, there was a shift in thought about crew placement.

in the early days the boiler was in front of the crew. No real reason why, but it was. After the advances in diesel/electric locomotives it eventually started moving to behind the crew and the engineer was in the front of the locomotive.

even 20 years ago many of the small local/yard engines were “long nose forward” and the road engines became “short nose forward”

now nearly everything is short nose forward.

• Like 1

To illustrate the above.

the traction motors on each axel are basically electric motors and can turn just as fast in either direction. A set of axels, 2 or 3 in a frame is called a “truck”

in order to designate a front and rear on the engines so that when discussing problems with mechanics, dispatchers asking which way the second or consecutive engines are facing.

the place an “F” on the front to determine which was is forward for that unit.

this one is long nose forward:

42C9A96C-10B1-478A-90D0-30BC5ACD0215.thumb.jpeg.98cc37f960827f924cd4cae8e6238a20.jpeg

This one is short nose forward:

EE426801-A8A8-42FB-8D7A-8A6DFF0AECB3.thumb.jpeg.a1e135c449b9e22d80f4c06434a5a5be.jpeg

So so that when we tell an engine house that the front right wheel has a flat spot or shelling. They know which one to look at.

The engineer is on the right side going forward as that’s the side the signals are on.

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

No J611?

I keep up with her.  She’s been refitted again and is running. She’s a good looking and fast steam locomotive. 

My brother and I are the first in the family not to work for the RR since the family came over from Ireland. My grandfather was killed in a derailing and mom said her boys ain’t working at the RR.  My great grandfather was killed in accident coupling cars years before in the 30’s

Dad’s an engineer, and runs a passenger steam locomotive for the local RR museum on the weekends. He’s almost 70 now and won’t give it up.  He’s also worked as a brakeman, and helps purchase and restore old engines and cars.

He lives and breathes it. I never had the same enthusiasm for it as him. I got into shooting as a teenager and it’s been my hobby ever since. 

Eric, are you a RR fan? Or is this just an interesting photography example?

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 2