Who has constructed one or more Heath or Archer kits?

tous

5 hours ago, Hannie Caulder said:

What's a heathkit?

This is an example of a Heathkit.  It's a tube tester I put together when I was in high school.

2018101916055794-IMG_8499-X2.jpg

There is supposed to be a roll chart showing in the window; it lists the tube types and settings for testing each one.  The tape holding it to the rollers has apparently let loose, so I need to open it up and reattach it.  Additionally, the knob for setting the plate load (bottom left) cracked and fell off a few years ago, and I've been too lazy to glue it back together.  Hell, I've probably lost it by now and will have to scrounge a replacement.

Their kits were extremely well documented, and were something that even a person with no electronics knowledge could assemble, just as long as they could solder, and read & follow directions.

-Pat

• Like 2

I built a Heathkit digital clock with a red LED display.  I was so proud. It was a technological leap from the digital clocks with the rotating metal numbers.  My dad had a HP Reverse Polish calculator; that was the ultimate at the time. 

Before I was born my dad built a tube Heathkit hi-fi including the speaker cabinets. 

A different time it was. I feel like a fossil remembering.

• Like 1