New K frame

Collim1

She arrived today. A very beautiful, possibly never fired model 10-7 snub nose with a round butt.

It is pristine.  This gun has never seen a holster. I am very pleased with it.  I have been looking locally for one for many years with no luck, so I turned to Gunbroker.  I’m a GB newb, but this particular purchase turned out to be a very easy and painless transaction.  

Well, enough talk.  Here she is:

A1FBA456-48FE-4116-AA1F-A17C36917460.jpeg

This gun is beckoning to be loaded with some Nyclad HP’s. I really regret shooting off the last of my stash years ago. I would have held onto them had I known they would be discontinued shortly thereafter.  

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Valmet said:

That’s a beautiful S&W- congrats. Always feels fantastic to finally get one you’ve been after for awhile. Why did they discontinue the Nyclad bullets? I still have a few floating around myself. 

I have read a few different theories. One was they weren’t selling compared to newer JHP technology. 

Another was there profit margin was slimmer compared to other rounds due to the expense of the coating process. Not sure I believe that one. 

Possibly a combination of the two. Who knows. 

For years one of my local shops ALWAYS had several boxes of Nyclads in stock so I never worried about sourcing them. Until one day they didn’t........

• Like 1

That is a beautiful gun. I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of shooting it. Federal could make a near-equivalent  of the  the 125 grain Nyclad load today by using soft lead and powder coating the bullet instead of coating it with nylon.

For a non plus+P defensive load in the 38 special, I like the 150 grain full wadcutter loaded by Underwood and Buffalo Bore to produce an honest 850 fps out of a short barrel. the hardcast bullet does not lead the barrel of my model 38 airweight humpback bodyguard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Borg warner said:

That is a beautiful gun. I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of shooting it. Federal could make a near-equivalent  of the  the 125 grain Nyclad load today by using soft lead and powder coating the bullet instead of coating it with nylon.

For a non plus+P defensive load in the 38 special, I like the 150 grain full wadcutter loaded by Underwood and Buffalo Bore to produce an honest 850 fps out of a short barrel. the hardcast bullet does not lead the barrel of my model 38 airweight humpback bodyguard.

I’m definitely going to shoot it. It’s one of ~6 million model 10’s produced over the years. It’s not like it’s Custer’s revolver or something. 

She will be shot. And carried occasionally. 

Hello, my name is Collim1, and I have been addicted to S&W revolvers for fifteen years......

I have been watching a very minty Model 10 no dash all week. I threw a bid on it with five mins left in the auction last night and won it. For a pretty good price considering it’s apparent condition. I completed all the checkout process today and I am hoping it ships tomorrow. 

I’ll have to show her off when I get her in if.  Here’s the pic from the listing that really got me drooling. 

I need help  

B3232BEC-AF5D-4785-ADB6-476081550B84.jpeg

• Like 5

Very cool indeed. Hopefully, the second will prove to be as nice. :cheers:

I'm a late bloomer to the K-frame. I am now a yuge fan. Smith really hit a home run in the balance and weight with it's mid-size frame. While I'm not a fan of the stupid internal lock, I am glad that they revived it. Likewise, I wish Ruger would bring back their Security/Speed series.

As to ammo.... OP, you are no newbie to Smith revolvers. I'd imagine you have other, similar guns to train with full power loads. If it were me, I'd load it up for carry with the best available. Even an older Smith will not self destruct in a cylinder or two of new production, +P ammunition. Most of the ammo makers seem to have downloaded their wares in the last decade or two. Choose a practice load that matches in projectile weight and carry with confidence.

Two very nice finds in a week is excellent! Lately, I'm growing weary of all the "latest and greatest" hype. Returning to my revolver roots is a growing thought. We'll see where it lands. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TeaDub said:

I'm a late bloomer to the K-frame. I am now a yuge fan. Smith really hit a home run in the balance and weight with it's mid-size frame. While I'm not a fan of the stupid internal lock, I am glad that they revived it. Likewise, I wish Ruger would bring back their Security/Speed series.

As to ammo.... OP, you are no newbie to Smith revolvers. I'd imagine you have other, similar guns to train with full power loads. If it were me, I'd load it up for carry with the best available. Even an older Smith will not self destruct in a cylinder or two of new production, +P ammunition. Most of the ammo makers seem to have downloaded their wares in the last decade or two. Choose a practice load that matches in projectile weight and carry with confidence.

Two very nice finds in a week is excellent! Lately, I'm growing weary of all the "latest and greatest" hype. Returning to my revolver roots is a growing thought. We'll see where it lands. 

I( think the best 38 special defensive load is still the old FBI load with the swaged lead 158 grain Plus+P. the 38 special just doesn't have enough velocity to make jack3eted hollowpoints expand and you can increase velocity by decreasing mass (bullet weight) but it's a trade-off. And as you say the K-frame can handle a limited diet of Plus+P which would include running the occasional cylinder of Plus+p ammo for practice. Also for practice ammo, HSM makes a 158 grain lead SWC "Cowboy Action" load which they call low velocity (Maybe in 357 mag revolvers?) that produces 840 fps which is not far behind the FBI load's 890 fps.

I've used the HSM ammo in 41 and 44 magnum calibers and it is excellent ammo and does not lead the barrel. Their 41 magnum "Bear Load" is among the most accurate ammo in that caliber that I've ever shot.

HSM Cowboy Action Ammunition 38 Special Low Velocity 158 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point (Click on "Specifications" to see velocity)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/870808/hsm-cowboy-action-ammunition-38-special-low-velocity-158-grain-lead-round-nose-flat-point-box-of-50

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeaDub said:

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

I( think the best 38 special defensive load is still the old FBI load with the swaged lead 158 grain Plus+P. the 38 special just doesn't have enough velocity to make jack3eted hollowpoints expand and you can increase velocity by decreasing mass (bullet weight) but it's a trade-off. And as you say the K-frame can handle a limited diet of Plus+P which would include running the occasional cylinder of Plus+p ammo for practice. Also for practice ammo, HSM makes a 158 grain lead SWC "Cowboy Action" load which they call low velocity (Maybe in 357 mag revolvers?) that produces 840 fps which is not far behind the FBI load's 890 fps.

I've used the HSM ammo in 41 and 44 magnum calibers and it is excellent ammo and does not lead the barrel. Their 41 magnum "Bear Load" is among the most accurate ammo in that caliber that I've ever shot.

HSM Cowboy Action Ammunition 38 Special Low Velocity 158 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point (Click on "Specifications" to see velocity)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/870808/hsm-cowboy-action-ammunition-38-special-low-velocity-158-grain-lead-round-nose-flat-point-box-of-50

I only have one magnum K frame, a 66-1 that I keep a very comfy Pachmyar grip on.  I have it loaded with 158g Gold Dots, and have shot exactly one of them, to take a deer that walked out about 20 yards in front of my stand.  Dropped like it was struck by Thor’s hammer.  One of the few deer I have ever shot that dropped without taking a single step, and it was no 100lb doe either.  That was a very fun hunt.  

I carry all my other K frames with Gold Dot short barrel 135g+P or 125g+P Gold Dots depending on the barrel length.

As to shooting, I reload 148g HBWC or 158g LSWC.  Win231 makes a very soft shooting, though a little smoky, target load.    They are cheap and very soft shooting, and certain not putting any unnecessary wear on my K frames.  I don’t baby them though.  I am lucky enough to get to spend a couple hours every week at the shooting range, and a revolver always makes the trip with me.  

I have zero issues shooting .38+P out of any post war K frames.  I think they are plenty strong for even the hottest .38’s.  I load my mouse fart reloads for the sake of low recoil and consistent accuracy.  

My shooting buddy has a N frame .357 that we use if we have a craving to shoot some hot loads for kicks.  

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

I only have one magnum K frame, a 66-1 that I keep a very comfy Pachmyar grip on.  I have it loaded with 158g Gold Dots, and have shot exactly one of them, to take a deer that walked out about 20 yards in front of my stand.  Dropped like it was struck by Thor’s hammer.  One of the few deer I have ever shot that dropped without taking a single step, and it was no 100lb doe either.  That was a very fun hunt.  

I carry all my other K frames with Gold Dot short barrel 135g+P or 125g+P Gold Dots depending on the barrel length.

As to shooting, I reload 148g HBWC or 158g LSWC.  Win231 makes a very soft shooting, though a little smoky, target load.    They are cheap and very soft shooting, and certain not putting any unnecessary wear on my K frames.  I don’t baby them though.  I am lucky enough to get to spend a couple hours every week at the shooting range, and a revolver always makes the trip with me.  

I have zero issues shooting .38+P out of any post war K frames.  I think they are plenty strong for even the hottest .38’s.  I load my mouse fart reloads for the sake of low recoil and consistent accuracy.  

My shooting buddy has a N frame .357 that we use if we have a craving to shoot some hot loads for kicks.  

I have an N-frame model 58 41 magnum and with the skinny service grips it is painful to shoot with magnum loads.  But I couldn't stand to look at this classic S&W if I put rubber grips on it. I tried a pair of Hogues that came with a model 28 that I bought and were replaced by a set of N-frame Target grips. The Hogues were comfortable with the hottest loads but I just couldn't leave them on,

But I found the perfect compromise. I got a Tyler T-grip adaptor for it which allows me to keep the original grips and though the T-grip is not factory, it is "Period Correct" and they allow me to shoot hotter loads. A friend of mine when I was in high school in 1965 bought a new model 58 and he and I shot it with a box of Remington "Police special" loads which were lead 210 grain SWC's loaded to 900-1000 fps and those loads we pleasant to shoot with the service grips. But the Tyler T-grip adaptor really helps with recoil and I also have them on my Airweight model 38 Humpback "Bodyguard" and with the skinny service grips and the Tyler T-grip the gun is more compact for pocket carry than any J-fame with rubber grips.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I have an N-frame model 58 41 magnum and with the skinny service grips it is painful to shoot with magnum loads.  But I couldn't stand to look at this classic S&W if I put rubber grips on it. I tried a pair of Hogues that came with a model 28 that I bought and were replaced by a set of N-frame Target grips. The Hogues were comfortable with the hottest loads but I just couldn't leave them on,

But I found the perfect compromise. I got a Tyler T-grip adaptor for it which allows me to keep the original grips and though the T-grip is not factory, it is "Period Correct" and they allow me to shoot hotter loads. A friend of mine when I was in high school in 1965 bought a new model 58 and he and I shot it with a box of Remington "Police special" loads which were lead 210 grain SWC's loaded to 900-1000 fps and those loads we pleasant to shoot with the service grips. But the Tyler T-grip adaptor really helps with recoil and I also have them on my Airweight model 38 Humpback "Bodyguard" and with the skinny service grips and the Tyler T-grip the gun is more compact for pocket carry than any J-fame with rubber grips.

I am actually scouring Gunbroker and EBay right now for a pair of Tyler’s for this new snubby. If I am going to keep the wood grips it’s going to have to have a T grip on it. I can’t stand shooting the factory wood service stocks. 

I have a pair of wood stocks for all my revolvers, but also have a square and a round Pachmyar grip that I often swap out for the range. 

For hot loads I want a Hogue or Pachmyar. My grip strength just isn’t what it used to be and I can’t tolerate a beating anymore. However, I find the wood target grips quite comfy even with hot magnum loads. I just don’t prefer the added bulk and interference with speedloaders. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

I am actually scouring Gunbroker and EBay right now for a pair of Tyler’s for this new snubby. If I am going to keep the wood grips it’s going to have to have a T grip on it. I can’t stand shooting the factory wood service stocks. 

I have a pair of wood stocks for all my revolvers, but also have a square and a round Pachmyar grip that I often swap out for the range. 

For hot loads I want a Hogue or Pachmyar. My grip strength just isn’t what it used to be and I can’t tolerate a beating anymore. However, I find the wood target grips quite comfy even hot loads. I just don’t prefer the added bulk and interference with speedloaders. 

I prefer the Hogues to the Pachmayrs but when I had my Charter arms bulldog the Pachmayrs worked good on that gun with my hot reloads. I had a Smith and Wesson model 29 Classic, blued, with a 6 1/2" under lugged barrel and unfluted cylinder that came with factory Hogue grips with the S&W medallion.

BK grips makes a Tyler copy I found a genuine T-grip for my model 58 but I tried the BK grip adaptor on my J-frame and It works just as well, Tyler was out of business for a while and then when they started producing the adaptors again they didn't have e website. I see that they do now,

BK grip adaptors

http://bkgrips.com/

Tyler T-grip adaptors

http://www.t-grips.com/

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best double action S&W revolver triggers I ever shot was a model 10 Wells Fargo grade in I bought for $150. I’m not above a bargain beater. That was a nice truck, boat, four wheeler gun.  Something to be said for having a gun you don’t give a damn about for working on the tractor or other dirty work. 

It looked like pure hell, but it was a well used gun and slick as snot inside. 

Edited by Collim1

On 10/9/2018 at 5:33 PM, Valmet said:

That’s a beautiful S&W- congrats. Always feels fantastic to finally get one you’ve been after for awhile. Why did they discontinue the Nyclad bullets? I still have a few floating around myself. 

The media and the anti-gunners went full retard, saying that Nyclads could penetrate kevlar vests. Nyclads became known as cop killers and that was the end of them. It was the same stupidity that surrounded the Black Talon bullet.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The media and the anti-gunners went full retard, saying that Nyclads could penetrate kevlar vests. Nyclads became known as cop killers and that was the end of them. It was the same stupidity that surrounded the Black Talon bullet.

Thank you. I was aware of the BS surrounding the Black Talons but didn't know that it stretched to the Nyclad bullets. 

7 hours ago, Valmet said:

Thank you. I was aware of the BS surrounding the Black Talons but didn't know that it stretched to the Nyclad bullets. 

The whole idea behind the Nyclad was to use a soft swaged, not cast, lead Hollowpoint that would expand at 38 special velocities but that the nylon coating would prevent leading. I haven't heard the "cop-killer bullet" theory before but it's remotely possible because the cop=killer bullets were coated with Teflon and nylon might have ben considered similar somehow even though the bullets were made to expand and NOT penetrate.

I think the more likely cause of the demise of the Nyclad is the reason that has been repeatedly stated by Federal that they were expensive to produce and not cost effective. but the real mystery to me is why they don't produce the same soft swaged lead JHP and powder-coat them the same blue color the Nyclads were and market them as "Powder-clads" or  something.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

but the real mystery to me is why they don't produce the same soft swaged lead JHP and powder-coat them the same blue color the Nyclads were and market them as "Powder-clads" or  something.

They sort of already are producing a similar bullet with their American Eagle Syntec line. My guess is it’s cheaper than a copper jacket, but seems to me the Syntec jacket material should also work for a Nyclad reboot. 

Here is an overview of the Syntec ammo if you aren’t familiar with it already:  http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/first-look-american-eagle-syntech-ammo/248638#

I would certainly be a buyer of some Nyclads if they brought them back.  

Edited by Collim1

47 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

They sort of already are producing a similar bullet with their American Eagle Syntec line. My guess is it’s cheaper than a copper jacket, but seems to me the Syntec jacket material should also work for a Nyclad reboot. 

Here is an overview of the Syntec ammo if you aren’t familiar with it already:  http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/first-look-american-eagle-syntech-ammo/248638#

I would certainly be a buyer of some Nyclads if they brought them back.  

The syntech ammo is ball ammo and uses roundnose bullets. They should use soft lead projectiles coated with the same material and I bet it would preform similar to the Nyclad ammo. The Winchester and Remington 158 grain +P "FBI" loads both use a soft lead 158 grain JHP but leading isn't a problem with the graphite lube because velocities are below 1000 fps. (950 fps)

The standard Nyclads developed only 830 fps but reportedly worked well. There was also a plus P version that developed a little over 1000 fps.  And both recoiled less than the heavier 158 grain FBI load especially the 830 fps load. But if I had a gun that was heavy enough to absorb the recoil (not an airweight J-frame) I would use the FBI load. Fedral should just make a powder coated version of the Nyclad bullet and coat it in Nyclad Blue instead of Lipstick Red

http://www.tds-us.com/federal-premium-38-125gr-nyclad-hp-p38m-20-rounds/

gun nyclad80.jpg

Edited by Borg warner

11 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Awesome post.

Image result for never go full retard