Long-Gone Restuarant Chains You Used To Love

ASH

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Hines57 said:

I think I worked at half the restaurants you guys are bringing up.

I liked Zantigo's mexican. They were making a come back in Minnesota I believe.

I used to manage Two Pesos, it was much better than Taco Cabana.

BBF or Borden Burger were popular as a kid.

What was the Mexican restaurant that they would bring you more food when you raised the flag?

Two Pesos was pretty good. In my misspent youth, we used to hang out at one on Westheimer in Houston.....(street car fun) 

Two Pesos actually lost a Supreme Court case (case appealed all the way to SCOTUS)  Taco Cabana had sued them, won and that is why Two Pesos went away. (absorbed into Taco Cabana)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Pesos,_Inc._v._Taco_Cabana,_Inc.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

In BCS, we had FreeBirds! burritos.  I think it was there new second store after Austin.

Good $#i+.

Ythey had motorcycles on the ceiling!

That's so crazy.

Freebirds are popping up all over the place. They are wicked good!  

7 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Two Pesos was pretty good. In my misspent youth, we used to hang out at one on Westheimer in Houston.....(street car fun) 

Two Pesos actually lost a Supreme Court case (case appealed all the way to SCOTUS)  Taco Cabana had sued them, won and that is why Two Pesos went away. (absorbed into Taco Cabana)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Pesos,_Inc._v._Taco_Cabana,_Inc.

Yeah, I was working there when it all went down. Wasn't pretty. I ended up with TC for about a month.

I just ate at a Taco Cabana yesterday in Houston, it was not very good.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Hines57 said:

Yeah, I was working there when it all went down. Wasn't pretty. I ended up with TC for about a month.

I just ate at a Taco Cabana yesterday in Houston, it was not very good.

Taco Cabana can be hit or miss for some things. 

They serve different type of chicken meat at different locations for the tacos. Some get dark (which is fantastic the way they do it) some serve white, which I find theirs just awful. 

About a decade or so ago, going to my usual Taco Cabana and ordering what I always order (the fajita two taco and chips/queso deal)  I noticed something was just wrong.  Anyways, I called corporate about it and was told that different locations now serve different meats in the fajitas. They would not provide me with the details of where.   The end result was I *mostly* stopped going.  I went from at least twice a month to only going when I happen to be with a group that decides to go there (about once every two years)

On 9/11/2017 at 8:13 AM, Huaco Kid said:

I don't remember loving it, or not, but Howard Johnson's was a huge, special treat when we were traveling.

There is still, like, the very last original one in Lake George, NY, and I always mean to swing in there when I pass, just for the nostalgia, but there are too many seafood places around.

Steak and Ale is where we used to go to get hammered every weekend, before we were old enough to drink.

My grandparents used to take me to Howard Johnson's pretty often on "all you can eat fish night."

I enjoyed it, but looking back, there shouldda been times where they said, "Don't you think you've had enough?"  ¬¬