Long-Gone Restuarant Chains You Used To Love

ASH

I did used to love that genuine A&W Root Beer.  I think I used to get their Jr. hamburger for a while and maybe upgraded to a bacon burger (or something like that) over the years.  They tried making a burrito for a while, and it was the only thing they had that was not very good (although that was what I ordered for several years until I got one that was not completely thawed one time).  

In the S.F. Bay Area, we had a chain called Linda's and the Parisian Burger was their signature piece.  Linda's is gone, but I believe that you can still get a Parisian Burger at Armadillo Willies and Pezella's. 

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/parisian-burgers-armadillo-willys-pezzellas-mountain-view-california.html

Here is the Parisian Burger recipe.  Unfortunately, unless you're cooking for the corporate BBQ, you're going to have to do the math to downsize it to a family sized proportion.

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/mplindasparisian.htm

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0720F07.htm#2

Here is the downsized version:

http://www.food.com/recipe/mountain-view-lindas-parisian-burger-sauce-376430

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Eric said:

Do The Pig Stand restaurants still exist in San Antonio? The locations were each numbered. I think the one I used to go to was Number 29. Good greasy spoon diner food. 

I just looked it up. The Pig Stand chain had 130 restaurants during its heyday, back in the 1930s. The last Pig Stand was forced to close a decade or so ago, but in some sort of court decision one of the locations was allowed to open back up. It's an interesting story. I'll post a link to their About Us page below. 

Pig Stand restaurants used to be a fixture in Texas. I'm glad that one location at least is still holding on. 

http://sanantoniospigstand.com/about.htm

IMG_2169.thumb.JPG.9b1ffe75fc1e7cfd81d0f74403ccdfed.JPG

• Administrators

I miss Rally's Drive-In burgers. Back in the nineties, it seemed like there was a Rally's, or one of the clones, stuck on every corner in town. There was no inside dining. Just the drive-through lane down each side of the tiny little shack of a building. They had some damned fine burgers. They must still be in business somewhere, but they don't seem to be in Texas any more, or at least their store locator won't show me a Texas location. I miss those burgers.

59b8025573def_ScreenShot2017-09-12at10_45_37AM.thumb.png.eece4f0a344500cfbf262497ffa9d8c5.png

1 hour ago, KBKEITH said:

I remember the K-Mart Cafes growing up.

8 minutes ago, Booker said:

and Mont. Wards!

For a long while, we lived on the very edge of the new suburbs.  My best friend was a farmer-kid, from over the hill.

Once a year, before school started, his Mom would get dressed up, with her hat and gloves and thick coat with pearly brooch, and the whole family would go dahntahn for the annual shopping.

Woolworth's was the main money-spending place.  My buddy decided to buy a hamster.  It came in a 6"x6" metal cage.

Woolworth's had a huuuuge lunch counter.  The counter had a second shelf, underneath, so the ladies stash their hats and purses on.

We got the hamster out of the bag, and were feeding him soup and sandwiches, in his cage under the counter.  We liked him already.

So...  we're eating our grilled cheeses, and then it started... 

The hamster got loose and took off down this shelf, that was, like, a city-block long,  while packed shoulder-to-shoulder with women shoppers.

Chaos.

Me'n Tim pretty much instantly knew what the deal was.  And we knew the hamster's progress from whom was jumping up and screaming at that particular second.

All of the older brothers loved it.  The Mom hated the hampster, and us, forever, I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I miss Rally's Drive-In burgers. Back in the nineties, it seemed like there was a Rally's, or one of the clones, stuck on every corner in town. There was no inside dining. Just the drive-through lane down each side of the tiny little shack of a building. They had some damned fine burgers. They must still be in business somewhere, but they don't seem to be in Texas any more, or at least their store locator won't show me a Texas location. I miss those burgers.

59b8025573def_ScreenShot2017-09-12at10_45_37AM.thumb.png.eece4f0a344500cfbf262497ffa9d8c5.png

Rally's are still here in Northern Ohio.    

I very seldom eat there.  Not that I don't like it - but I've gotten to the age where I have to be more careful about what I eat.

On 9/11/2017 at 5:19 AM, Eric said:

Don't any of you recognize the woman wearing the Shakey's t-shirt?

Hard to tell, she usually left my house with messy hair and and eye stuck closed. 

3 hours ago, Taco Junkie said:

Image result for ground round

This is where my roomie and I went to get fed and laid by cougars (in their 20s and 30s). They had a great happy hour and we'd time it to arrive around 6 when the lady office workers would have a good buzz on by then and we'd buy them a drink then do the poor college student routine and half the time they bought us drinks and dinner, and half of those would take us home for dessert. 

I had a beer mug there as part of there club. It had a bicycle bell on it to ring for my next. Best all you can eat wings. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Eric said:

I just looked it up. The Pig Stand chain had 130 restaurants during its heyday, back in the 1930s. The last Pig Stand was forced to close a decade or so ago, but in some sort of court decision one of the locations was allowed to open back up. It's an interesting story. I'll post a link to their About Us page below. 

Pig Stand restaurants used to be a fixture in Texas. I'm glad that one location at least is still holding on. 

http://sanantoniospigstand.com/about.htm

IMG_2169.thumb.JPG.9b1ffe75fc1e7cfd81d0f74403ccdfed.JPG

I went to countless car nights at the Pig Stand in San Antonio. 

• Like 1

Oh, and the Piccadilly Cafeteria when we used to go to the cool new malls near the big city.  One of those entire malls has now been torn down!

I don't know if the Piccadilly is still around anywhere or not.  I haven't seen one in a long time.

Edit:  And we had a Burger Chef in our little town.  I'd forgotten about that one.

Edited by n2g

On 9/11/2017 at 3:55 AM, KBKEITH said:

Good God, I remember all three of those places. You didn't by chance grow up in metro Detroit, did you?

Nope.... Lima Ohio area. Had all 3 of them in town. 

Edited by JLA
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, n2g said:

Oh, and the Piccadilly Cafeteria when we used to go to the cool new malls.  One of those entire malls has now been torn down!

I don't know if the Piccadilly is still around anywhere or not.  I haven't seen one in a long time.

we had a Morrisons  in our malls  good food . been gone forever  then again its been 15 years  since i walked into a maul .

8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

We've actually still got some of these around:

"Chipped" ham, n'at.

is.png.26b338c083ece529420a5ae4442af606.png

We had one of these in town. Was there until I was a teen. They had an ice cream dish that was called something like "I'll never see my feet again." If you ate it all you got a tee shirt. I remember the food being pretty good. 

7 hours ago, Eric said:

My 2nd wife (full blooded Korean) loved Rallys.  Called it WAlleys, lol.

• Like 1