Am I the only one?

Spats McGee

The Great .22 Drought of 2008 to about 2016 meant I spent a lot of time hunting for .22LR, finding very little, and shooting even less.  I certainly don't want to jinx things, but both Wal-Mart and Academy Sports around here have had plentiful supplies, at least by Great .22 Drought standards.  I know that a bunch of folks just quit shooting .22s, because they couldn't find ammo.  When they did, it was at ridiculous prices.  I horse-traded into a couple of new .22s back in December and have dug out my trusty 10/22.  I've said on several different forums that I've rediscovered the .22.

Am I the only one who had almost forgotten how much fun .22s are?  Anybody else dragging out .22s that you haven't shot in years?

• Like 3

Are you wanting to buy those Blazers locally, or do you want to order online?  I bought a case of Federal .22LR from Target Sports USA.  The website said "10 boxes of 500," but each of those 10 boxes of 500 was actually 10 boxes of 50.  I notice that the Blazers also say "10 boxes of 500," so I wonder if it's the same thing.

70 degree beautiful sunny day here this afternoon.  The Mrs set out a blanket on the back lawn and we shot the taurus 62.  Love shooting 22's.   I still have lots left from the draught, but I tended to reload more of my center fire stuff and save the 22.  Glad that drought is over.

• Like 3

Been having a ton of fun with my 22's.    

I've been shooting between 200-300 rounds at the range, then going online to replace what I shot by a factor of 10x or more.  The sales are great (thank you Brownells).   I'm running out of storage space for 22 lr.  

• Like 3

I never stopped really. Luckily, growing up with a handful of .22s I’d stockpiled a pretty decent amount and didn’t feel the squeeze of the fraught like many folks. 

Winchester Model 67, Remington 572 and S&W K-22 have had a LOT of rounds thru them over the years. 

Edited by Valmet
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Huski92 said:

Me and the wife are going Tuesday to shoot our 22’s. She has a Berretta Neous (goofy dang gun, but she likes it. And I just picked up a Ruger 22/45 lite. Can’t wait to shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a 22/45 Lite in December and I love mine.  If you bought it new, check and see if the mags seem slightly tacky.  If so, I'll suggest giving the mags a quick cleaning.

Edited by Spats McGee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, windowasher said:

10 boxes of 500  Shipping weight 32 lbs

Yes, but did each 500 round box have loose ammo in it or was it ten 50 round boxes in each 500 round "Brick"? CCI sells it both ways and since the ammo shortage it's been hard to find the individually packed ammo in 500 round bricks and I'm afraid CCI might not be making it that way anymore.

The individually packed ammo tends to be more accurate.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 8:29 PM, Borg warner said:

I started shooting my 22's again as soon as CCI mini mags and Blazers were available. But I still can't find bricks of Blazers that have the 50 round boxes rather than the loose ammo.

I have a Ruger Charger, a Ruger Mk3 bull barrel pistol, 10-22, and a Belgian Browning ATD take-down.

SGammo has CCI Blazers both as bricks and cases.  From the looks of the pictures, they have the 50 round boxes.  There's no phone number on the site, but perhaps you could email them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EricB said:

I never had an issue because I was stocked before hand. Didn’t miss a beat enjoying 22

Same here.

Since its readily available again, I've restocked to be ready for the next time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

SGammo has CCI Blazers both as bricks and cases.  From the looks of the pictures, they have the 50 round boxes.  There's no phone number on the site, but perhaps you could email them.

I contacted CCI and they said that all the 500 round bricks of Blazers have ten individually packed boxes of 50 rounds each and they haven't made any of the boxes of the "Loose" ammo for a couple of years. The last box I bought was a year ago and was probably some old stock that the store had laying around. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 4:55 PM, Borg warner said:

I contacted CCI and they said that all the 500 round bricks of Blazers have ten individually packed boxes of 50 rounds each and they haven't made any of the boxes of the "Loose" ammo for a couple of years. The last box I bought was a year ago and was probably some old stock that the store had laying around. 

BW, I just got a sale flyer (email) from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.  Blazer 500 round bricks at just over $0.03/round:  https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/12651

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Spats McGee said:

The Great .22 Drought of 2008 to about 2016 meant I spent a lot of time hunting for .22LR, finding very little, and shooting even less.  I certainly don't want to jinx things, but both Wal-Mart and Academy Sports around here have had plentiful supplies, at least by Great .22 Drought standards.  I know that a bunch of folks just quit shooting .22s, because they couldn't find ammo.  When they did, it was at ridiculous prices.  I horse-traded into a couple of new .22s back in December and have dug out my trusty 10/22.  I've said on several different forums that I've rediscovered the .22.

Am I the only one who had almost forgotten how much fun .22s are?  Anybody else dragging out .22s that you haven't shot in years?

No, I remember.  But, every time I was in Wally World for years, I would buy large value packs because they were cheap.  I don't think I will run out anytime soon, because of that.  At the moment I have two Smith & Wesson .22' in ARs, two Crickets, and an older model Ruger Revolver (stainless) in .22  mainly for training for the kids early on.  My daughter still loves shooting .22 my son likes moving on to large calibers.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I wasn’t really in to shooting rimfire during the drought though I had a couple guns and a couple bricks of ammo. It’s just recently, last year that I’ve started enjoying shooting it. I pretty much stopped shooting during the drought. I did have a horde of ammo at the time, but didn’t know if I could replace what I shot so I just didn’t shoot.    

The last year I’ve been buying a lot of rimfire. Just this month I bought 6,500 rounds of Federal Automatch for 4.1 cents per round, 10,000 rounds of Tbolt for 3.2 cents per round and last month i bought 10,000 rounds of Blazer for 4.6 cents per round. Prices include taxes and shipping.

Last Monday I shot my new S&W Victory for the first time. I took a couple bricks and a couple small boxes to sample from. I ended up shooting over 800 rounds. I think it was the most fun I ever had shooting a pistol. I shot that gun better than I ever shot a pistol. So now I’m really going to start stocking up.

7929570C-8852-4D55-9FCF-30EA3A2B9F9F.jpeg

• Like 2