GSSF members

RonS

My husband and I have been shooting GSSF since 1998 and shot IDPA quite a few years. Really enjoy the outdoor matches and meeting all the great people, either staffing or shooting. Have made some great friends over the years. We make 5 matches a year but I would like to increase that number. 

I joined in 2011.  There is only one outdoor match nearby, so I've driven to Las Vegas and Pryor, Oklahoma to mix a match with family visits. 
There are several ranges in the Denver area that host indoor matches.

I've always been intrigued by the GSSF match and program.  BUT it appears to not be very popular in my State of Washington.    It appears to happen once a year and is 3 to 4 hours away.     I've got too many other fun shooting matches that are less then one hour away for me to make the effort for GSSF.   

I started in CO loved the matches and then moved to CA for work and shot there with the range in Piru as my home base. I drove from SoCal to Richmond in NorCal and ended up winning a gun there. Shot in Las Vegas and won two guns after a long drive and was blessed with GlockMeister in 2003. Continued shooting matches at Piru until we escaped CA and moved to VA with no GSSF matches. The closest ones are in PA, NC, SC and WV all requiring an overnights stay. If I had closer ones I would rejoin in a heartbeat even though I am a more seasoned citizen and recently had my left shoulder replaced. Great matches and I still have my G17, G19 and G43 to use.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DG870

I started shooting GSSF in 2007.  It’s a great way to get started shooting competetion.  It’s challenging to top level shooters but reasonably low stress for beginning shooters.  It’s a gateway sport to starting IDPA, USPSA etc.  without having to buy holsters, belts, mag holders.  All you need is a cased firearm and a few mags. (It helps to have at least 4 mags).  

You can get used to being timed and learn range safety and the range commands.  I’ve worked as a ro on matches for several years and have seen many shooters improve their shooting ability.  I highly recommend these matches as a way to improve your skills and meet new people.  

• 3 weeks later...

Been a GSSF member on and off for about 16 years... some indoor matches, mostly outdoor ones near Dallas, San Antonio, and West Monroe, LA. Lots of fun, but never gonna be a master class shooter. Really, compete against my own scores form match to match. Would like to get on a team, but most of my Glock friends are too cheap to join one of the most inexpensive sport shooting leagues going -- GSSF. Go figure...

• 4 months later...

Four months later...

Missed the San Antonio outdoor match, but shot the first round of a three round indoor match in Conroe last weekend. Did fair... one round I wish I had back, but that's the great thing about competition: you own your mistakes. Had a great time, going back later this month for round two.

Wishing all competitors in all genres a wonderful 2019... keep 'em in the X-ring!

Two years later and I no longer use the G29 for matches, but a G35 and hopefully my G19 MOS.  Still haven't gotten the elusive 500.  I think either a 494 or 497 is my highest.

And I haven't shot in a match in months.  They are held the last Saturday of the month from 11am to 1:30pm and I work 6pm to 6am Wednesday through Saturday.  And the nearest match is an hour drive each way.  

So if I wanted to go to a match, I have to get by on about 3-4 hours sleep.  Will try to do this months, however. 

• 3 weeks later...

Think most I've shot in a year is 14 and ROed 5. Not shot many lately because of distance and time off from work. GSSF match success is largely dependent on the match staff. Since most staff don't shoot GSSF or are very limited shooters most don't have a great deal of experience. I poorly orginazied match is very disappointing to be part of and is somewhat common. A well run match is always a good time and I think harder to find.

Went to the January match today and it did not go well.  I think I spent too much time concentrating on developing match loads instead of shooting. 

The G19 with the RDS had better groups at the longer distances than the G35 with open sights, but it did worse at the short distances.  I got 20 "X" hits with the G35 and only 15 with the G19.  Got a 476 and a 451.  Worst I've done for over a year.

Oh well, still had fun and met new people.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.