GSSF members

RonS

I haven't seen anyone mention being a member in other posts, but I'll start a thread and perhaps some folks would like to drop in and say hi.

I became a member in 1999 or so, but after two seasons got out of shooting to do the work and kids thing and got back to shooting matches three or four years ago.

I just joined in May after I bought my G29.  Nearest outdoor matches are 3-4 hours away so haven't been to one.  But have been to the monthly indoor match every month since joining.  I showed up at my first match with a stock G29 and was told I brought the wrong gun for this.  Won unlimited division with it. :whistling:

Still haven't got a 500, but am getting closer with a 482 last match.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about joining either GSSF or IDPA to do more shooting... but wondered if anyone had insights as to pros and cons on either?

I enjoy shooting, but rarely practice in a "tactical" fashion. I also wonder how much ammo is required at one competition outing: how much is one likely to spend in a match/competition?

IDPA has the advantage in that you likely have local matches at least once a month, perhaps more often if your area has enough ranges / IDPA clubs.  

GSSF is once a year per location.  

GSSF has a fairly rich prize distribution (guns for winners, guns for random lucky people, cash prizes, etc.).

Local IDPA matches likely have no prizes.

GSSF, in a single 10+1 division, you'll shoot 81-107 rounds.

IDPA, the round count is entirely dependent on the number and type of stages...but is probably roughly similar in round count.

I've been shooting GSSF for about 17 years.  I only just started shooting IDPA a couple of months ago.  I find IDPA more "interesting" in that the stages are different each month, and like that it tries to be more "real world scenario oriented".  GSSF is the same 3 stages, year after year.

• Like 3

I just joined this summer and competed in my first outdoor match last month, where I finished middle of the pack in each division I entered.  I had a lot of fun and I'm going to practice more and hopefully do better at my next match.  I think I'm really going to enjoy GSSF and plan to travel to a few matches in 2018.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, light-switch said:

I've been thinking about joining either GSSF or IDPA to do more shooting... but wondered if anyone had insights as to pros and cons on either?

I enjoy shooting, but rarely practice in a "tactical" fashion. I also wonder how much ammo is required at one competition outing: how much is one likely to spend in a match/competition?

I live in the middle of nowhere so haven't done an outdoor match, but am planning on doing one next Spring.  No IDPA events for about 300 miles, either.  Indoor GSSF matches are vastly different than the outdoor ones.  Indoor matches are fairly low speed, low stress, and much cheaper to participate in.

There are only two classes; Stock and Unlimited.  You sign up when you get to the range for what you plan to shoot.  For instance, I shoot my G29 in both Stock and Unlimited, so I fill out a score sheet for each one, pay the range $15 for each class, and I'm ready to shoot.  Each class requires 50rds.  Before it's your turn, you load up 5 magazines with 10-rounds each.  You go in and an RO has a timer.  You start at the 5yd target and fire ten rounds in fifteen seconds.  The RO moves the target back to seven yards. Change mags, then fire ten rounds in fifteen seconds.  After that, you move to a different lane and repeat the process on a fresh target at 10, 15, and 25yds.

Each range can do a few different variations of that as outlined in the GSSF rules.

My buddy shows up with two 9mms and two .45s and shoot four times total.

I shoot twice; the first time in Stock class, then switch to a Lone Wolf barrel and shoot the same G29 in Unlimited class.  I really enjoy it!

At my range, there are no tacticool fanboyz or loudmouthed jerks.  Good people having a good time and chewing the fat about guns.  With the price of ammo and entry fees, it's about $50 per match.  They run in series of three.  After the third match, you draw for prizes.  Last time I got a Glock hat and Glock knife.  Meh, was hoping for the new pistol, but it's better than nothing...

These are what the targets look like that are used:

IMG_20170527_122155977.thumb.jpg.179995e93b8e09b3afacbdc6312fb120.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting GSSF since 2004.  I like the competition and there are 4 matches within reasonable driving distance from here although I've only shot more than 2 in a year once.  I do have a couple of friends who shoot all of the ones in the area.

About 6 years ago, my wife wanted her own Glock so she bought one using the GSSF discount.  A new Gen 4 G19 for $425 before tax.  They've gone up a bit, but it's still a good deal.  Still, I wouldn't join if the pistol discount were the only reason I had in mind.

In addition to the competition, people attending a GSSF outdoor match have access to a Glock Armorer who will check the entire pistol over and replace any parts that need attention.  I should say most parts.  You're not going to get a free slide, barrel or frame, maybe not even a new firing pin or magazine.  But springs and other parts that need it will get replaced at no charge. 

I've also participated in the Indoor League matches from time to time.  That can be fun and there's the potential to win prizes there, just as in the outdoor matches.  The difference is that only performance prizes are awarded in the Indoor matches.

Another GSSF benefit I've used is access to Glock training.  I've taken the Armorer's course a few times, the Advanced Armorer's class and the Glock Instructor's Workshop. 

I keep wondering when some of the other gun manufacturer's are going to break the code and start their own version of GSSF.  So far no one else has figured it out.

I need to find an outdoor match near me that I can drive to, shoot, then drive back in one day.  Spending the night means hotel costs and kennel costs.

As an aside, shot a 494 in last week's match with my new G19.  But, since I didn't use it in the previous 2 matches, they didn't count my score.  Shot a 487 with the G29.  Hoping to get an elusive 500 soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 5:52 PM, light-switch said:

Do both; actually buy a revolver and start shooting ICORE also. A clean GSSF match would be 81 rounds; my local club matches for IDPA and ICORE are generally less than 150 rounds. Cost of a local club match is $10-$15 in my neck of the woods ( Florida ).

You can never get enough practice.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

My wife and I joined GSSF in 1998. Shot our first match in September at Hallsville,MO when they still had the Moving Target Stage. I was faster,but she was more accurate.It took 4 months to get the scores back via US Mail. She finished 55th and I finished 85th. That next year was the longest of my life lolo.O listening to her remind me. We have shot every year since at Hallsville and still see a few of the friends we met there 21 years ago. We are both retired now and shoot 5 matches a year, the farthest away being a 4 1/2 hour one way drive. Each year we meet new friends/competitors at the matches and renew old friendships from the past. She has met two friends/competitors and they formed their own Am/Civ team , the Glock Grandma's.My wife is on the right.

Gloc_Grandma's_at_Grand_Island_2018.jpg

Edited by G21H30

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.