• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pipedreams

• ChuteTheMall

• Swampfox762

• Schmidt Meister

We should scrap Juneteenth, aka George Floyd Day

This weekend, the New York Times ran an op-ed from Casey Gerald, an author and a native of Texas. Here are his opening lines:

"“I was born in Texas, as were my parents and most of my kin, all the way back to at least the 19th century, when some of them were enslaved. Still, for most of my life, the day was just another holiday marked on the community calendar — even if it was our day, a day for black Texans. Perhaps one sign that a thing belongs to you is that you take it for granted.

"The past few years have forced some stronger feelings to the surface.”

The “Summer of George Floyd” forced those stronger feelings to the surface.

A weekend article in the Washington Post spelled out the impetus for those stronger feelings, writing:

“During the summer of 2020, amid the racial-justice protests following the murder of George Floyd, millions of white Americans became aware of Juneteenth for the first time. Some companies announced they would give employees the day off on Juneteenth, and momentum grew to make it a national holiday. Last summer, the U.S. did just that, as President Biden signed a bipartisan bill into law on June 17.”"

https://www.theblaze.com/fearless/oped/whitlock-scrap-juneteenth-for-1865?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220620Trending-WhitlockJuneteenth&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News

"The fact that Juneteenth is such a divisive and polarizing issue speaks to how far this nation and its citizens have strayed from our shared moral struggle, purpose, and values.

I wish we could rebrand Juneteenth as 1865 Day. We could spend the day honoring the people who sacrificed everything for America to experience a rebirth. Right now, it’s a celebration of George Floyd. I feel sorry for George Floyd. I have no interest in celebrating him."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 12:29 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

I worked for the DOC in Florida and some of the women that came to visit were ... rejects from humanity that the convicts were able to con into sending them money and mail in return of the promise that, "when I get out, I'll marry you and take care of you." Some of the convicts had 4 or 5 of these women sending them money and coming to visit. Very seldom did a fine woman come to visit a convict and if they did come, their convict was one of those blue collar criminals that you never/very seldom had a problem with.

Working for the DOC was a unique life experience.

I had to leave when they got to where they watched us more than they did the convicts, everydamnthing you did had to be recorded.

Yep, the cons get away with all kinds of crap and the supervisors look the other way but we had to watch it. One of the worst was this female leiutenant. An evil hate filled dyke. I was the seg boss for a long time and rank routinely violated safety regs by uncuffing violent offenders before they were locked up, among others things. I complained about it but it fell on deaf ears. One day she brought a restrained con in, running her mouth at him and berating him over and over. When they reached the cell door she uncuffed him before securing him in the cell and guess what? He spun around and decked her! Then he went in the cell and closed the door. I did my job but it was all I could do not to lmao.

• Like 3

I know this has already been broached but I'm adding this:

Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, which took effect in 1863, announced that all enslaved people held in the states “then in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free.”
But the Emancipation Proclamation in itself did not end slavery in the United States, as it only applied to the 11 Confederate states then at war against the Union, and only to the portion of those states not already under Union control. To make emancipation permanent would take a constitutional amendment abolishing the institution of slavery itself.
In April 1864, the U.S. Senate passed a proposed amendment banning slavery with the necessary two-thirds majority. But the amendment faltered in the House of Representatives, as more and more Democrats refused to support it (especially during an election year).
On January 31, 1865, the House of Representatives passed the proposed amendment with a vote of 119-56, just over the required two-thirds majority. The following day, Lincoln approved a joint resolution of Congress submitting it to the state legislatures for ratification.
But he would not see final ratification: Lincoln was assassinated on April 14, 1865, and the necessary number of states did not ratify the 13th Amendment until December 6.
The year after the amendment’s passage, Congress used this power to pass the nation’s first civil rights bill, the Civil Rights Act of 1866.
Congress also required the former Confederate states to ratify the 13th Amendment in order to regain representation in the federal government.
Together with the 14th and 15th Amendments, also ratified during the Reconstruction era, the 13th Amendment sought to establish equality for black Americans. Despite these efforts, the struggle to achieve full equality and guarantee the civil rights of all Americans has continued well into the 21st century.
Actually, it wasn’t until 1995 that Mississippi officially ratified the 13th Amendment, one of the later states to do so.

Juneteenth, on the other hand, commemorates the emancipation of enslaved people in Texas, which happened on June 19, 1865, almost six months before slavery was constitutionally outlawed.

And just in case you haven’t been exposed to the truth about the amendments regarding slavery:

13th Amendment - Abolished slavery. Supported by 100% of the Republicans and 23% of the Democrats.
14th Amendment - Citizenship for freed slaves. Supported by 94% of the Republicans and 0% of the Democrats.
15th Amendment - Right to vote for all. Supported by 100% of the Republicans and 0% of the Democrats.

P.S.: Bill Nye is a pseudo science *******.

Bill Nye - The Non-Historian, Mechanical Engineering Guy - Slavery - 13th Amendment.png

• Thanks 1

Germany Resorts to Coal in Effort to Wean Itself Off Gas

German will reopen closed-down coal power plants using emergency laws and offer $15bn in credit to gas suppliers to stock up for winter, Economy Minister Robert Habeck has announced.

Habeck says it is “painful, but it is a sheer necessity. If we don’t do it, then we run the risk that the storage facilities will not be full enough at the end of the year towards the winter season. And then we are blackmailable on a political level.”

Emergency gas plans would allow utility companies to pass on higher costs to consumers to dampen demand, or for the government to control energy and ration it to households.

Carbon Zero chance of this ending well for the people.

3fc960f4f4ec3058.jpeg

What's North American country's doing to prepare for the inevitable besides making things worse?

Basically, The Biden Lifosuction approach to big oil has increased global carbon output by millions of tons. This administration is full of imbeciles.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1