Scotch

Gun Shark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on buying my first bottle of Scotch this week. Any suggestions on what to start with while on a tight budget? I hear that Monkey Shoulder is a good start, though it sounds a bit sweet.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, O4L said:

I'm planning on buying my first bottle of Scotch this week. Any suggestions on a what to start with while on a tight budget? I hear that Monkey Shoulder is a good start, though it sounds a bit sweet.

Shieldag 18. Was just in total wine. It’s still $46.99 a bottle.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On December 4, 2017 at 10:55 PM, O4L said:

I'm planning on buying my first bottle of Scotch this week. Any suggestions on what to start with while on a tight budget? I hear that Monkey Shoulder is a good start, though it sounds a bit sweet.

So, what did you get for your first bottle?

On December 4, 2017 at 10:55 PM, O4L said:

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2017 at 11:55 PM, O4L said:

This is very subjective.  The topic is rather large.  If you like lighter whiskeys choose a highland whiskey, if you like it in the middle try a lowland.   If you want everything, lots of smoke and peat, then an island whiskey.

It's hard to go wrong with Johny Walker Black or double black as a first whiskey.  Glenfiddich is a nice highland. Glenmorangie is nice as well.

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, jmohme said:

My first bottle of Scotch was Highland Park 12. I found it to be a good starting point and still keep a bottle on hand.

I prefer more smokiness though so Lagavulin 16 is my go to.

This was my first as well. Upon opening it, I was not a fan. Maybe it was the day, maybe it needed air. I don't know. But by the time I finished the bottle, I loved it.

Edited by jfost11
I've been drinking and the keyboard is sober
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

If my wife goes first I’m giving myself one good bender. 

F020A713-22A1-4630-9750-A8BE6FAE4304.jpeg

I have thought long and hard about this eventuality.  I also would have a very hard, long and memorable bender. I truly believe that it would be followed  by some very careless gun cleaning................

On 11/18/2020 at 4:16 PM, Historian said:

This is very subjective.  The topic is rather large.  If you like lighter whiskeys choose a highland whiskey, if you like it in the middle try a lowland.   If you want everything, lots of smoke and peat, then an island whiskey.

It's hard to go wrong with Johny Walker Black or double black as a first whiskey.  Glenfiddich is a nice highland. Glenmorangie is nice as well.

I have tried 3 versions of Glenmorangie and found all of them lovely.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.