Any Smallbore/Gallery shooters here?

Shooterer

I used to shoot 3 position smallbore competition before my eyes got too old. Anschütz Super Match 54 made in the early 1960s and Winchester 52 C and 52 D heavy target models were the rifles of choice. The best ammo I found for any of these rifles was Eley Tenex.

Putting 5 shots into the same .22 caliber hole from 50 feet while offhand was doable with discipline and great quality ammo.

• Like 1

Small-bore shooting generally is done with single shot .22lr bolt action rifles (bore dimension smaller than .30 cal). Anschutz 54 or 64 actions, Walther, FWB, Remington 52, Kimber 82 and other “thick” barrel, stiff action rifles.

There are many disciplines of small-bore shooting, but the 2 most popular are prone or 3 position (sometimes 4).

Gallery – 4 position shooting prone, kneeling, sitting and offhand (standing). Usually done  indoor during the winter season. 10 shots per position, the targets have 12 bullseyes per target (2 for sighters, see my post above) and you shot one shot per bullseye. The target is set at 50 from the firing line. A perfect score is 400 and the top guys in our league are shooting 370-380, I shoot in the 330-340 range. :(

Olympic 3 position – Standing, kneeling and prone. 40 shots each at 50 meters. Google Matt Emmons

Prone – on your belly for 40 – 120 shots at anywhere from 50 – 200 meters (200 meters is usually called mini palma with a 55” drop)

When I was a kid I used to walk up to our local Armory and watch the shooters inside doing this. 20/25 feet prone with scopes and arguing if the tear from the bullet crossed the line around the bullseye.  It was amazing accuracy and intense.  I'm too old now, but it was a fascinating sport.

Bullseye was the same size as the bullet (IIRC).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No think I'll keep them. They're nothing special, not anything you couldn't buy. Annie 10 and 64, Winchester 75 and 52, Remington 513T. The record setting rifle is old Ballard set NRA National Record in 53. Eric Johnson 5 star barrel.

IMG_20171127_104237.thumb.jpg.609d17bf4bb57d67eeea9d37008a5899.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've got a Ruger 77/22 with threaded action/barrel and a Leupold scope that will shoot around an inch at 100 yards with Eley Target. No where in same class as what's been posted here but I like the looks of it and shooting it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I thought I'd like to try RimFire silhouette. Took Annie 64 out and sighted in at fifty with six o clock hold. That would put me on at seventy five and have to aim high at one hundred. Found out I can't stand up and shoot with any Accuracey past fifty. I'm going to try a 10/22 tomorrow and see how I do with lighter rifle and a scope.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.