What's the ideal barrel length for carry?

fortyofforty

On 8/25/2017 at 5:16 PM, KBKEITH said:

I'm sure a lot of you would agree that it's not so much the length of the barrel that determines comfort and concealability, but more the length of the grip.

That holds true for me.

IIRC: There's a few .357 Mag GP100's with a 4" barrel and compact grip frame that are floating around out there. I'd like to run across one, would be a great carry revolver for me.

On 8/25/2017 at 6:18 PM, fortyofforty said:

Yes, up to a point.  The barrel length, in a duty holster or thigh rig wouldn't matter much at all.  In an inside-the-waistband holster, every time you'd sit down you'd account for that longer barrel.  The pistol or revolver would be pushed up and out of your holster, or the holster would ride up off your belt.  Either that or the entire rig would cant in one direction or the other.  If seated for longer periods, such as in a scout car or long distance drivers, or anyone traveling in a car, you want the longest barrel that doesn't impede your ability to carry.

Good point, but we're not all built the same and carry the same way.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 11:40 PM, Eric said:

I personally like a 4" K-Frame .357 Magnum. I've had a couple of S&W 4" Model 66 revolvers. I love them.

IMG_9255.thumb.jpg.c3aa53b50bb86f33c69a55d64fc01d45.jpg

Me too, but there is something to be said about a 4" S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt.

Might as well go big!

IMG_1677.thumb.JPG.808f2aafb662a007cd68d193bb763384.JPG

Nothing wrong with a K-frame Smith with a 2-3" barrel, though.

This is one of my absolute favorites:

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.fb00be51de75589ff372aeaece4e474c.JPG

S&W 4" Heavy Barrel Model 10-8. Beautiful deep, rich blueing and smooth as silk.

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

Edited by OV1kenobi
  • Like 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, OV1kenobi said:

Me too, but there is something to be said about a 4" S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt.

Might as well go big!

IMG_1677.thumb.JPG.808f2aafb662a007cd68d193bb763384.JPG

Nothing wrong with a K-frame Smith with a 2-3" barrel, though.

.45 Colt's SAAMI pressure is around 14,000 PSI. The .357 Magnum is around 35,000 PSI. How about a S&W Model 657 6", in .41 Magnum instead?:greensupergrin:

IMG_2157.JPG.e4503666759a0de5192bd98ee24a2def.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

.45 Colt's SAAMI pressure is around 14,000 PSI. The .357 Magnum is around 35,000 PSI. How about a S&W Model 657 6", in .41 Magnum instead?:greensupergrin:

IMG_2157.JPG.e4503666759a0de5192bd98ee24a2def.JPG

Those SAAMI specs you quote of 14,000 are for original Colt and Colt reproductions, including the Ruger New Vaquero.

The SAAMI specs for the Ruger Blackhawk and TC Contender are in the 40,000+ psi range.

I handload my cartridges for the S&W 625-6 .45 Colt in the SAAMI 24,000 psi rangeSWC, ad it is a solid N-frame revolver of recent manufacture.

8.5-9.0 grains of Hodgdon Universal behind a Missouri Bullet .453 LSWC.

If you or anyone else rightfully insists on links for the appropriate reloading data, I will be more than happy to accommodate you on a day that I have not shaken Evan Williams' hand.

Know what I mean?

No intention to slam you, but you REALLY SHOULD start a reloading sub-forum for questions such as this.

Maybe someone like "Fred338" or "FredJ338" (you know whom I mean because you, like me, have been around long enough) can offer sound advice.

Maybe even chase him or someone like him down to lead the sub-forum.

Even if you have to "steal" him from elsewhere and make him an Administrator.

That would be a coup, if he is still around.

It would be money well spent, for the man knows what he is talking about.

Just offering friendly and helpful hints, that's all.

Edited by OV1kenobi

• Administrators
3 hours ago, OV1kenobi said:

Those SAAMI specs you quote of 14,000 are for original Colt and Colt reproductions, including the Ruger New Vaquero.

The SAAMI specs for the Ruger Blackhawk and TC Contender are in the 40,000+ psi range.

I handload my cartridges for the S&W 625-6 .45 Colt in the SAAMI 24,000 psi rangeSWC, ad it is a solid N-frame revolver of recent manufacture.

8.5-9.0 grains of Hodgdon Universal behind a Missouri Bullet .453 LSWC.

If you or anyone else rightfully insists on links for the appropriate reloading data, I will be more than happy to accommodate you on a day that I have not shaken Evan Williams' hand.

Know what I mean?

No intention to slam you, but you REALLY SHOULD start a reloading sub-forum for questions such as this.

Maybe someone like "Fred338" or "FredJ338" (you know whom I mean because you, like me, have been around long enough) can offer sound advice.

Maybe even chase him or someone like him down to lead the sub-forum.

Even if you have to "steal" him from elsewhere and make him an Administrator.

That would be a coup, if he is still around.

It would be money well spent, for the man knows what he is talking about.

Just offering friendly and helpful hints, that's all.

You know, if someone wasn't pretty careful with which .45 Colt he stuck what ammo in, he could have a really exciting range session.:crylikeender:

There is no money in the budget to pay anyone involved with the various forums, but I will get the reloading forum opened up. I always intended to do so. I just got sidetracked.

Anyway, like I said I'd rather have the .41 Magnum. I've always loved that caliber.:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 1

I've had a couple 3" S&W 65's through the years. Traded them off on something I thought I needed more. 

Currently own two. One for carry, one in the safe. 

The 3" and round butt is the perfect package for me. 

A close runner up is a 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six .357 a buddy gave me. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I carry a S&W 2" Model 640 nearly everyday.  Once in a while I carry a 2.75" Speedsix.  I've experimented with a 4" Model 10-5 with the tapered barrel.  That style is the only 4" I would consider for concealed carry.  When push comes to shove it won't matter whether you carry 2", 3" or 4".

Bill

Except for woods carry I doubt that I would choose a revolver again. If I did it would be the 3" SP101 in this picture because a 3" 357 beats the heck out of a 2" 38 though I did carry a 1951 production 2" Colt DS for a while before getting my first G26 and was quite happy with it. I chose the 3.06" on the SP101 over the 2.25" because I believe the extra 13/16" will give a noticeable velocity increase all other things being equal and the extra sight radius is good as well. I have considered getting a K6S w/3" barrel but I have really developed a liking for my SP101 over the last 12 years.

SDC12066.JPG

My 3” K frame fixed sight round butt model 64 is about as sweet as it gets for carry. 

It’s no lightweight, but it’s a great balance of shootability and conceability while having a velocity advantage over the 2” guns and a +1 on capacity of  lthe j frames.  The full length ejector rod is an often overlooked advantage as well.

872A0C31-D8EE-49A4-B2F8-E8346E9701E7.jpeg

D01B4001-1F62-43E5-B33C-2E6E14868D03.jpeg

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

Why are you worried about a Reload, just hit what you're shooting at the first time. Do you ever think that you're going to be up against more than six people? That's the problem that pistols have created, you have 17 rounds, so you can spray and pray.

My favorite size revolvers to shoot are the ones with 4" barrels.  I couldn't CC them, though.  I have one 6" but it quickly gets heavy.  I'm an "older" female and not real strong. 

I don't have a 3" but would like to own one.

When I carry, which isn't often, it's a 2" revolver, although I'm working on possibly changing to my Shield 2.0.  Not there yet.

I had a 2 3/4 inch barreled Ruger speed six with a bobbed hammer and a trigger job that was just about perfect for concealed carry though my Model 38 Airweight Humpback with the skinny service grips and a Tyler T-grip adaptor is much easier to comfortably conceal. I also had a 3 inch j-frame Chief's Special years ago that was a very easy to carry and a perfectly balanced little gun.

If I wanted to carry a wheelgun instead of a compact semi-auto, I'd probably get another speed six or else a Kimber K-6. If I was able to open carry I'd pick a 686-4 or-5 Plus w/ the 7 shot cylinder and a 4 in. barrel or even a 2.5 inch barrel if I could find one. This one is a 686-4 Plus, PC model:

686-4 Plus, PC model.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2