What's the ideal barrel length for carry?

fortyofforty

So, I'd wager that since the avalanche of semiautomatics took over, the most commonly carried revolver barrel length is around 2 inches.  However, if you were forced to carry a revolver as a "primary" defensive weapon, what barrel length do you believe is ideal?

Years ago, the 6" barreled Colt Python seemed to be an ideal revolver.  The longer barrel really squeezed the most out of the .357 magnum round.  However, unless openly carried, that long barrel is not practical for many people.

I would suggest the 3" and 4" barreled revolvers are the true "sweet spot" for performance and concealability.  I've got an old S&W Model 13 with a 3" barrel.  Six shots.  .357 magnum.  Ayoob Package.  Black T finish.  Crimson Trace grips.  If it weren't for the six shots and difficulty (relative) of reloads, I would consider carrying it.  I know an expert like Jerry Miculek can reload a revolver quicker than I will ever reload my GLOCKs, but with my limited prowess, the semiautomatic is just quicker to reload.

Here's an unmodified version:

400px-Smith&WessonModel13.jpg

So, what do you think?

• Like 3

Like other personal bodily accoutrements, as long as you can deal with, without embarrassing or harming yourself.

I conceal carried a 4" .357 Magnum, an FN 5.7, and presently a G41.  Some people find a way and some have to compromise.  It's life.

• Like 1

For me, 2.5". Unfortunately that usually means a short ejector rod too, which slows reloads....so 3-4" is fine. I carried my 4" 15-2 in a cheap IWB years ago and it worked oK for fall/winter clothes.

• Like 2

My carry gun is a 2in barrel model 65 smith which used to have a 3in barrel until I found a 2in  model 64 barrel.

I find that it is as accurate with the 2in as it was with the 3.

When I was younger I had to have a 4in barrel , it's so much easier living with the 2in now

16 hours ago, Eric said:

I personally like a 4" K-Frame .357 Magnum. I've had a couple of S&W 4" Model 66 revolvers. I love them.

IMG_9255.thumb.jpg.c3aa53b50bb86f33c69a55d64fc01d45.jpg

I hear a lot of people knocking the newest S&W revolvers, but I'd probably choose that one over and older no dash P&R'd 66 if my goal was to actually use the thing and shoot full powered ammo.

• Like 5

I have thought for a while that a five inch barrel would be a better choice for carrying openly than a typical four inch or the sometimes used six inch choices.  Sort of the sweet spot between the two.  And if I needed to carry a revolver concealed I could see a three inch being the choice sometimes. 

57 minutes ago, KBKEITH said:

I'm sure a lot of you would agree that it's not so much the length of the barrel that determines comfort and concealability, but more the length of the grip.

Yes, up to a point.  The barrel length, in a duty holster or thigh rig wouldn't matter much at all.  In an inside-the-waistband holster, every time you'd sit down you'd account for that longer barrel.  The pistol or revolver would be pushed up and out of your holster, or the holster would ride up off your belt.  Either that or the entire rig would cant in one direction or the other.  If seated for longer periods, such as in a scout car or long distance drivers, or anyone traveling in a car, you want the longest barrel that doesn't impede your ability to carry.

99% of the time I'm carrying a j frame in a cargo pocket, in a pocket holster.

I'd love to find one if them 2.5" airweights they released a few years back, just because. For protection, I use .38sp loaded solidly into 9mmP territory, but most remfedchester stuff is loaded soft, so extra barrel length can be nice when using the watered down stuff.

6 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

They say the K frame S&Ws cannot withstand a steady diet of full-power .357 magnum loads.  That's fine.  I can't, either.  So there you go.

The new Ks are stronger and don't have the thin spot on the bbl shank at the 6 O clock position like the old ones did. That said, I'm not really keen on the 125gr magnum loads anyways.

On 8/26/2017 at 1:15 PM, fortyofforty said:

They say the K frame S&Ws cannot withstand a steady diet of full-power .357 magnum loads.  That's fine.  I can't, either.  So there you go.

I think the loads that gave trouble were 125gr running north of 1400fps. I use 158gr at 1200fps and I think my Ks will last. When I want to go crazy I have a M28, a Security Six, and a Trooper. :)

I once shot a double charge out of the 28. Had to drive the case out with a rod, but the gun wasn't fazed. 

"Ideal barrel length" for concealed carry?

Sorry, that's a stupid question.

What's the best carry handgun for you? Only YOU can determine that. How will you conceal it? Where? When?

Answer those three questions and you are on your way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJHNSN said:

What's the best carry handgun for you? Only YOU can determine that. How will you conceal it? Where? When?

Is your whole deal just being a dick? 

3 hours ago, JJHNSN said:

That's the most useless response I've ever seen.  It's just a written fart.  Restate the obvious like it's some grand revelation, then pat yourself on the back for being so smart.  Well done.