If it were 1967 - 1969 and you were buying a brand new Camaro

tous

Yes, the Z/28 was available in 1967-1969.

You got diisc front brakes, a better 4-speed transmission, a beefier suspension and a high-revving 290 hp, 302ci engine.

However, if memory serves, you wouldn't see one  on the dealer's lot.  Few back then even knew that they existed.

They were special order items, I believe, produced so that the automobiles qualified for the Trans-Am racing series.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, tous said:

Let us expand the hypothesis some.

What was the automobile that you listed for in high school?

Forget future investment value, poor brakes, poorly-functioning headlight doors or an automobile,such as  Yenko Chevrolet that few if any could purchase.

When you were sixteen - seventeen years old, what was your dream car?

If you had the means, what car would you run to the dealership for?

As I mentioned, I hankered after a first-generation Camaro with both SS and RS options.  Of course, at the time,  we didn't know that there would be a second- or third-generation.

Not red.

No convertible.

I also really admired the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda.

I had a 69 Camaro base model.

I wanted a 69 Camaro zl-1

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tous said:

Yes, the Z/28 was available in 1967-1969.

You got diisc front brakes, a better 4-speed transmission, a beefier suspension and a high-revving 290 hp, 302ci engine.

However, if memory serves, you wouldn't see one  on the dealer's lot.  Few back then even knew that they existed.

They were special order items, I believe, produced so that the automobiles qualified for the Trans-Am racing series.

lol 290 HP

closer to 325ish

the 396 in mine was under rated as well they listed the L78 as325/ 350 HP  a solid lifter it was closer to 380HP or more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tous said:

Forget future investment value, poor brakes, poorly-functioning headlight doors or an automobile,such as  Yenko Chevrolet that few if any could purchase.

As I mentioned, I hankered after a first-generation Camaro with both SS and RS options.  Of course, at the time,  we didn't know that there would be a second- or third-generation.

Not red.

No convertible.

In that case:

Image result for 71 chevelle ss

I was born in 1970 and loved that car since I can remember. My dad had this:

Image result for 71 el camino ss blue

... except his had white stripes instead of black and a 454. That's probably why I love the Chevelle so much. 

Edited by arkdweller22
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Ford guy here as well, but the RS/SS 396 cars were just plain impressive.  I'd definitely opt for the RS package; love the hideaway headlight look.  My favorite musclecar of all time is the 1970 Torino GT with the hideaway headlights.  The one I had never gave me a bit of trouble...

Picture010.jpg

The guy I bought our 65 mustang from has a burgundy 1970 Torino GT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tous said:

Not red.

No convertible.

I found mine in a storage garage that my friend rented to work on his pickup in.  It was sitting in the corner under a cover and the owner was willing to sell it.  He only wanted $15k.  Might as well have been $15 million for a 17yr old in 1986...

1968-shelby-gt500kr-convertible-trophy-c

Edited by PNWguy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mayhem like me said:

the L-78 396 was one  of the best motors of the era simple mods put it over 420hp and with solid lifters and a forged crank rods and pistons it revved like a madman.

I had a `65 GTO that had a transplanted 428 out of a `69 Pontiac SJ.  It was an amazing motor that I had never heard of before buying the car.

"In 1967 the basic 421 design's bore was increased to 4.12. this gave a displacement of 426.61 CID or a 427. The 428 had the same 4" stroke as the 421, yet retained the 421's 3.25" Main journal, and was produced from 1967 to 1969. This engine produced 360 hp and 376 hp in 1967, 375 hp and 390 hp in 1968 and 360 hp, 370 hp and 390 hp in 1969. The crankshaft in the 428 also had a "N" cast on them as opposed to the 421's Armasteel. In 1969, Pontiac also used a revised crankshaft out of a Pearlitic malleable-iron, although it still used the "N" casting letter. This new material had stronger alloys in the iron. All 428 engines were factory installed in large cars only. However, there were a few dealers that would install a 428 in a customers GTO or Firebird for higher power levels. All 428 cylinder heads received the 14 degree valve angle, closed chamber only in 67 and open chamber 68 and up.

It was replaced by the 455 for the 1970 model year."

If I was to buy a Camaro then it would be 1969 Z/28 SS/RS Le Mans blue with white stripes. A friend of mine had one new it was a great ride. Not the fastest thing in town but made all the right sounds. I understood even though they were rated at 290 HP they were closer to 400 HP.

when i was in Jr. high/high school i wanted a `67 Wimbeldon white with Le Mans blue stripe GT500,toploader and inboards more then anything.

i drove a Grand National and had an R-code Mach 1 and worked on Muscle cars everyday,but 67 GT500 is just an amazing looking car.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 1L26 said:

If I was to buy a Camaro then it would be 1969 Z/28 SS/RS Le Mans blue with white stripes. A friend of mine had one new it was a great ride. Not the fastest thing in town but made all the right sounds. I understood even though they were rated at 290 HP they were closer to 400 HP.

They were around 350 ish stock 

humm....

"The 1969 Camaro 427 COPO's are famous for their raw power and low production volumes. They were specifically made to get around the limitations on performance cars that General Motors had imposed on Chevrolet; only a limited number of people knew enough to order them. Many years went by before their very existence became public knowledge. This article provides the details of how these cars came about and what they were."

http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml

I had a 69 Camaro SS 396.  375 hp, hurst factory shifter, hugger orange with the painted on stripes. No AC, no power steering.  Yes to this day I tell everyone let me bend over and kick me in the a.... for selling.  I loved that car.  Paid around $2,000 plus some back then. Then college came up so there was that so had to go..

Dave

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 0:37 PM, arkdweller22 said:

In that case:

Image result for 71 chevelle ss

I was born in 1970 and loved that car since I can remember. My dad had this:

Image result for 71 el camino ss blue

... except his had white stripes instead of black and a 454. That's probably why I love the Chevelle so much. 

With the LS-6 motor the 70 Chevelle SS was a monster.