Old Service Stations

Eric

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

B2DC4328-9845-4342-A88D-0A7D39763F8B.jpeg

My neighborhood has a plethora of gas station and convenience stores with no service.  We have one service station that had the pumps and tanks removed so all they do is rebuild engines.  Times they are a 'changing.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, janice6 said:

Reminds me of the security video of the woman in the gas station adding oil to her car.  She opened the hood and simply poured it all over the engine.

This is probably visual evidence of just how tight the clearences are now in modern engines.  You almost never see anyone adding oil to their car when filling with gas.

Lower oil sales may also explain why oil back then was 20 cents a quart and now it's $5 a quart.  The consumption of oil went down while the money made from selling oil went ut.

My father's only comment to the gas station attendant was always, "Fill'er up and check the oil!".

gpALGIH.gif

MoPzHgl.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dad was a chemical engineer for Gulf Oil from graduation to retirement.

I've still got a box of the "Gulf Wax" bars around here somewhere.  (i don't know what else they were used for, besides waxing the runners on your sled)

I worked at the Pinehurst Gulf (Texas) for several years.  I was kinda like the Goober.

No pictures. 

• Like 1

Just now, Huaco Kid said:

I've still got a box of the "Gulf Wax" bars around here somewhere.  (i don't know what else they were used for, besides waxing the runners on your sled)

I worked at the Pinehurst Gulf (Texas) for several years.  I was kinda like the Goober.

No pictures. 

I can't remember for sure whether it was Gulf or Phillips, but I got so much dishware for going through so much gas that my wife said, "NO MORE!".

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

No pictures. 

Gulf Oil used to make a really kickass granular concrete cleaner. I haven’t seen any since my mid teens and I’ve never found another product as good. That stuff worked miracles on oil stains. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The gas station got robbed one night.

(there were only about 50 people in Pinehurst,  so that kind of narrowed it down)

They went straight for the "opening money" that was hidden in an empty oil can on the shelf.  (that narrowed it down greatly)

They busted the kid I worked with.

His dad picked him up from jail a couple days later,  and dropped him off at the Army recruitment center.  I never saw him again.

• Like 2

Just now, Huaco Kid said:

The gas station got robbed one night.

(there were only about 50 people in Pinehurst,  so that kind of narrowed it down)

They went straight for the "opening money" that was hidden in an empty oil can on the shelf.  (that narrowed it down greatly)

They busted the kid I worked with.

His dad picked him up from jail a couple days later,  and dropped him off at the Army recruitment center.  I never saw him again.

That was a common court choice in my town too.

• Like 1