Old Service Stations

Eric

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

Don’t know where this is... Knoxville TN had a two level station at a wye, but I don’t think this is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...Henry Pease's Associated service station decorated for Christmas on corner of Junipero Serra Boulevard and Ocean Avenue, Courtesy of Bud Sandkulla…"  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457467274627770770/

• Like 1

MTH, a model railroad company selling predominantly to the three rail O gauge modelers, has offered an operating service station with several brand labels.

7595bb469ec43cdf448aed646984fa01.jpg

Look at this on eBay
MTH RailKing O Scale Shell Operating Gas Station w/ 3 Cars Figures 30-9133

If the link doesn’t work, search eBay for “MTH gas station”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, willie-pete said:

Gas Station on Cocoa Beach when 520 and A1A were two lanes. Bought gas there a few times.

gasstation.jpg.6c579cbefc2b43061996e4d0a4098a25.jpg

Rode a motorcycle on the A1A several times during bike week at Daytona. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, Eric said:

913BB1CE-6494-4F93-B0AF-89B8709457D4.jpeg

This....

This shows that there were some fantastic times and places in the past.

It wasn't all dust-bowls, flu pandemics and black-lung from working down in the mines.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

bb7e5ee49dbf5dc0cefbcf5ee9c3c54d.jpg

This has been standing by US41a in Nolensville TN with essentially this appearance for a long time. Has housed a number of businesses, none particularly long term. It may have survived long enough to now have a new lease on life, as the area beside and behind it appears ready to become a strip mall while leaving this in place.

I think it was originally a Pure gasoline station based on the architecture. It does not appear to have ever had bays as part of the structure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Eric said:

D1EF98BD-9A50-4DFE-BA7D-CE3D0662893A.jpeg

My father owned three "service stations".  One was a heavy truck GM dealership.

I learned absolutely nothing about automobiles from him.  He didn't believe in maintenance, and he believed that preventative maintenance was a total waste of money.  I asked him why he bought Chryslers all the time and he said, "They last the longest".

I even burned out the engine in his '46' Chrysler racing it wide open.  The mechanic that looked at it asked me why I didn't check the oil, or change it.  There was no oil in it.   I told him I never knew you were supposed to do that. (My sisters totaled another one)

When I got my own car, I had to learn everything from scratch.  I even spent a couple of Summers learning about carburetors and created symptoms in them so I could diagnose them. I rebuilt all the popular brands including Quadra jets and Webers.

I should have been ahead of the curve if my dad had ever cared to learn so he could teach me.  In the end, my BIL and I had a rebuilding business on the side.  I did clips and everything in between.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I should add to the above, I did NOT do any engine bottom end work.  Every reference I read said that "If it looked ok...….".  How the hell would I know if it looked OK, if I never had any experience.

So I only did heads and manifolds to keep from screwing up an expensive engine.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My father owned three "service stations".  One was a heavy truck GM dealership.

I learned absolutely nothing about automobiles from him.  He didn't believe in maintenance, and he believed that preventative maintenance was a total waste of money.  I asked him why he bought Chryslers all the time and he said, "They last the longest".

I even burned out the engine in his '46' Chrysler racing it wide open.  The mechanic that looked at it asked me why I didn't check the oil, or change it.  There was no oil in it.   I told him I never knew you were supposed to do that. (My sisters totaled another one)

When I got my own car, I had to learn everything from scratch.  I even spent a couple of Summers learning about carburetors and created symptoms in them so I could diagnose them. I rebuilt all the popular brands including Quadra jets and Webers.

I should have been ahead of the curve if my dad had ever cared to learn so he could teach me.  In the end, my BIL and I had a rebuilding business on the side.  I did clips and everything in between.

I’ve rebuilt a lot of carbs. I would have loved to have access to a flow bench and decking machines And such. There is only so much you can do with a kit, some Chemdip and proper adjustments. It used to irk me to have to take a carb to a shop, if it needed something I didn’t have the equipment to deal with. 

• Like 2