Old Service Stations

Eric

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/18/2021 at 5:03 PM, railfancwb said:

The days of vulcanized patches on bicycle inner tubes. Remember those well.  

Also car tires.  I used to visit the Hawkinson (sp?) Tire and Tread station in my home town.  I liked the smell of the vulcanizing rubber patches.  As long as I stayed out of their way they let me watch everything.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2021 at 4:26 AM, janice6 said:

Also car tires.  I used to visit the Hawkinson (sp?) Tire and Tread station in my home town.  I liked the smell of the vulcanizing rubber patches.  As long as I stayed out of their way they let me watch everything.

I remember buying retreads fir my car way back when. Think I only did this for bias tires. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

"Retreads".  Damn...Completely forgot bout those.  Bought a few sets in the 60's and early 70's.  NOT really a safe thing...

How about regrooving old tires? There was a special heated hand tool for cutting new grooves. I regrooved a few offroad tires for people, back in the day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I remember buying retreads fir my car way back when. Think I only did this for bias tires. 

I bought re-cap heavy snow tires for years.  I put them on and took them off depending on the snow storm.  Amazingly, i never had a problem the the re-caps.

With 40 lb. Lead Pigs, one over each rear tire in the trunk and the biggest snow tire I could fit into the rear wheel wells, I could drive my 67 Mustang through damn near anything.

Later I was buying new car "take offs".  The dealer would take off the factory tires from a new car and replace them with the customer's requested "better ones".

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

I bought re-cap heavy snow tires for years.  I put them on and took them off depending on the snow storm.  Amazingly, i never had a problem the the re-caps.

With 40 lb. Lead Pigs, one over each rear tire in the trunk and the biggest snow tire I could fit into the rear wheel wells, I could drive my 67 Mustang through damn near anything.

Later I was buying new car "take offs".  The dealer would take off the factory tires from a new car and replace them with the customer's requested "better ones".

I remember that my dad got a good deal on a set of almost-new studded snow tires one year, when I was a kid. He got a good deal because winter was almost over. Once the deadline passed to remove snow tires, he got pulled over and warned about them. So, he put the car up on jackstands that night and used a pair of big pliers to pull every one of the steel studs out of the tread. He was pleased with himself, but it took hours. He could be stubborn on occasion.  He got his money's worth out of those tires though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I remember that my dad got a good deal on a set of almost-new studded snow tires one year, when I was a kid. He got a good deal because winter was almost over. Once the deadline passed to remove snow tires, he got pulled over and warned about them. So, he put the car up on jackstands that night and used a pair of big pliers to pull every one of the steel studs out of the tread. He was pleased with himself, but it took hours. He could be stubborn on occasion.  He got his money's worth out of those tires though.

I hated them towards the end of the snow season.  You'd be driving down the highway and it seemed like a .22 hit the windshield, when the studs started flying out of the worn tires.  Not too long thereafter the state banned them in MN.  They did work though!!!

• Like 2

Just now, janice6 said:

I hated them towards the end of the snow season.  You'd be driving down the highway and it seemed like a .22 hit the windshield, when the studs started flying out of the worn tires in the car ahead of you.  Not too long thereafter the state banned them in MN.  They did work though!!!

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

I hated them towards the end of the snow season.  You'd be driving down the highway and it seemed like a .22 hit the windshield, when the studs started flying out of the worn tires.  Not too long thereafter the state banned them in MN.  They did work though!!!

I was cheap and bought the ones with walnut shells in the tread. They worked ok and lasted a season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1