At least 8 dead, 7 injured in duck boat accident

Silentpoet

• Administrators

Those Ducks are just nominally buoyant 2-1/2-ton trucks. When they get in trouble, they sink like, well, like open-top 2-1/2-ton trucks. Most of them I have seen being used with tourists have full canopies. They trap people when the Ducks go down. 

Prayers to the victims and their families. 

• Like 4

its sad and amazing people do not think to wear life jackets or in some states helmets .  very strange to me but i degress , im always thinking  this or that  , what i need what risks are. my wife said im to careful i told her if you had tractors flip over and almost crush you a few times you would be careful .   

i heard someone say something one day in a movie  "  assumptions are the mother of all **** ups . and i live by that .

• Like 1

The NTSB all but slapped an “unsafe at any speed” label on Duck boats 15 years ago after one sank and killed 13 tourists. The NTSB chastised the USCG for not regulating and inspecting them more rigorously. It appears the Board’s recommendations were largely ignored.

The toll for yesterday’s is up to 11.

These things were designed to haul Marines into enemy-occupied beaches, with low survival probability. Not tourists.

I just went through our Branson vacation pictures. We did not wear life preservers.

if I remember correctly, they only had two. Both from mid forties so probably not original anything as far as engines or controls.

while discussing the history as part of the ride I remember the guide saying that they were sensitive to rough water as the sides were not high.

the wife and blessed mother thought it was great, I thought it was like riding in the back of a deuce and a half.

apparently the water was calm when they went into the lake but a storm kicked up very quickly, the footage being shown has the boat turned into the waves but maybe it was just too much.

damn shame.

this link shows the video right before capsizing ,  you can see a man on back either thinking about jumping  but he dont .  and that weather was really bad , why not turn around?  the captain of that vessel is a moron . 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/07/20/before-duck-boat-accident-missouri-vehicles-had-history-fatalities/806081002/

There have been highway accidents with them also. A bad one a couple years ago in Portland, Or.  I remember watching the Navy play with a couple of them on the Wa. coast where I grew up. They didn't look safe then either, but were cool since they could drive down the beach and then out into the surf.

One of the dreaded evolutions at AOCS was the helo dunker, a tube that sat six students, strapped in, that was dropped into a pool and then sunk and inverted. All we had to do was unstrap and swim gently out the window or door nearest us.

We did it several times, the last with blindfolds. Of course, the pool was warm and clear and still, and we had hours of training to prepare us. Yet, the weak swimmers needed several tries to get out successfully on their own. I got kicked in the face by one of them, panicking.

Now, take that and put it with 30 paasengers, no warning, 4 to 6 foot seas, 60 knots of wind, untrained civilians, and their being located hundreds of yards offshore, and I'm surprised as many survived as did.

I grow increasingly wary of small boats operated by others.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• Like 1