What flashlight do you keep close by?

XSIV4S

1 hour ago, Moeman said:

...I’d say just stop in a Costco or Walmart and buy. I have experience that the really expensive ones I bought years ago are no better. …

^ There's so much truth to this statement.

Unless someone is really a flashlight junkie or you need a really niche product for a particular purpose, $20 will buy you a 2 or 3 light blister pack, often with batteries provided, that produces really good light.  

The super cheap ones like the $1 light in limeylad's post aren't too sturdy.  My kids tear those up in a couple months.  But I bought a two pack of lights at Sams club 7 or 8 years ago for less than $20 bucks and threw them in my cars.  These:

light.jpg.ac53d3532003bcace1d3366688a36632.jpg

They still work great and put out good light at a couple different intensities.  The ones for sale today are brighter and have more features.  

Most of the lights now for sale in the $8-15 range are better than the incandescent MagLites & Surefires that were considered quite good in the '90s which commanded a MUCH bigger price.

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Thanks 1

Yes you should buy a new one. It must be embarrassing to have to rely upon a 19 year old flashlight! I feel the same way about a wrench I keep handy and often use. My Dad gave it to me 50 years ago, a double sided adjustable crescent wrench that was already old when it gave it to me. But it still does the job and probably will for at least another 50 years. I have a couple of older Maglites that still work, but in fairness, they don't put out the kind of light the newer flashlights do so I never use the old Maglites. 

1 hour ago, Vito said:

Yes you should buy a new one. It must be embarrassing to have to rely upon a 19 year old flashlight! I feel the same way about a wrench I keep handy and often use. My Dad gave it to me 50 years ago, a double sided adjustable crescent wrench that was already old when it gave it to me. But it still does the job and probably will for at least another 50 years. I have a couple of older Maglites that still work, but in fairness, they don't put out the kind of light the newer flashlights do so I never use the old Maglites. 

There are maglight led conversion bulbs.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

^ There's so much truth to this statement.

Unless someone is really a flashlight junkie or you need a really niche product for a particular purpose, $20 will buy you a 2 or 3 light blister pack, often with batteries provided, that produces really good light.  

The super cheap ones like the $1 light in limeylad's post aren't too sturdy.  My kids tear those up in a couple months.  But I bought a two pack of lights at Sams club 7 or 8 years ago for less than $20 bucks and threw them in my cars.  These:

light.jpg.ac53d3532003bcace1d3366688a36632.jpg

They still work great and put out good light at a couple different intensities.  The ones for sale today are brighter and have more features.  

Most of the lights now for sale in the $8-15 range are better than the incandescent MagLites & Surefires that were considered quite good in the '90s which commanded a MUCH bigger price.

I remember an auction purchase I made a couple years back that included a couple hundred small 9 LED lights and several cases of Bluepoint (Snap On) headlights-a single bright light strapped onto your head to keep your hands free. Like many of my purchases, I broke this into smaller lots and sold them at live auctions, but kept a few of each. The small light looked and worked great and the headlight was a name brand and seemed to work well under vehicles. How, within a few months I had burned through everyone of them, between cheap switches and cheap threading on the battery caps, every single one had failed.

Do to the nature of when I might need a flashlight, I decided then that I will never rely on or risk my life with a cheap light. From my past light purchases (some pretty expensive) I am pretty happy with my newest light from Olight.

15 hours ago, Brad said:

18-19 year old Surefire, 120 lumens, with NRA logo on the side.

I understand these are very outdated. I need to buy a more modern light.

Pick up one of these for your Surefire and you will have a super tough light that is plenty bright enough.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts/products/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff

Edited by Rinspeed

2 hours ago, Rinspeed said:

Pick up one of these for your Surefire and you will have a super tough light that is plenty bright enough.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts/products/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff

Cool. Thanks! I probably will get one of those. I have a second Surefire that stopped working a few years ago. I assume it was the bulb, so I might buy two.

This dropin was designed to operate at maximum output for extended times in metal lights.  Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes on high in plastic lights may damage the dropin.  This is not an issue in metal lights or plastic lights with a metal head. 

I think those NRA Surefires were all plastic.  

But, you should definitely look at Malkoff.  I went through all the super-mega-lumen lights before going back to Malkoff.  The md2 with high/ low switch is my favorite light.  It will take cr123s or 18650 rechargeables.  You can sell that old surefire to one of the collectors on the flashlight forums to fund the purchase if need be.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/malkoff-mid-sized-led-flashlights/products/turnkey-md2-with-high-low-switch?variant=6893022531

I bought a Ryobi (Home Depot) toool set and big batteries. Converted the flashlight to LED, converted my Mag lights to LED, but hey what was amazing 10years ago is nothing now. LED lights that have multiple lights Are not my thing. One, strong bulb with power settings is the key. Just reloaded my mom from. Costco Duracell buy since the fancy one with rechargeable batteries is now missing the recharger. Don’t overthink or overpay.

Edited by Moeman

On 7/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, janice6 said:

I have a gaggle of pocket 3 Watt with Lithium power scattered around the house.

My favorite is a 3900 Lumen 3 lithium cell.  You can feel the heat in the beam a foot out from the light.  running "unprotected" 18650's, used every night, they last for months.

Holy crap...3900 Lumen.... That's a light!

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 1:13 PM, Dragline said:

Thanks. Are you buying direct from Surefire?

Amazon has a box of 12 for cheaper with FS and no tax, but some of the reviews make them sound a bit sketchy even though the 'Surefire' box looks the same.

I bought a box of eight two packs of Duracell CR2032 batteries from Amazon. FAKE chicom Knockoff Garbage. You really have to be careful even when buying directly from Amazon.

56 minutes ago, MikeG36 said:

Holy crap...3900 Lumen.... That's a light!

Better yet! With Lithium Ion unprotected batteries, it last a hell of a long time.  I use it every night to take the dog out at 12:30 AM and again at 2:30 AM.  My son has the same combination and the same results as mine.  The batteries (I have two sets) are 5 years old now and still going strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rinspeed said:

I don't even think Surefire made plastic lights 18 years ago.

Yeah. You're probably right.  I don't know much about Surefire's timeline.  I just remember seeing the plastic NRA g2 in someone else's picture somewhere.  They most likely had other models as well.

So, that Olight sale the other week inspired me to try and upgrade from the Streamlight MicroStream I carry.

I looked at the slightly shorter i3E EOS, but since I wanted a push button tail cap, I went with the slightly longer i3T EOS.

Here's the i3T compared to the MicroStream and to the gold standard of small AAA lights, the ARC Light. (Now discontinued).

Lights2.thumb.jpg.17c8f6e741431232dae0ed286a5a210a.jpg

The i3T and the MicroStream are essentially the exact same size.  The Olight saves a couple mm in length, but picks up just a bit more than that in absolute width at the clip.  

I bought the i3T because it has noticeably more lumens (180 vs. the MicroStream's 45).  Even with a high and low setting on the i3T, it remains to be seen if it is functionally better.  The high setting is seriously battery draining.  The low setting is very dim, only good for reading or just avoiding tripping in a dark room.  Usually, if I need a very bright, I don't reach for my pocket light.  The MicroStream is a very nice balance of size, output, and battery life for daily use.

For now, I'll carry the new Olight for a few months to see how it handles over time.

• Thanks 2