Why no panicked gun-buying before?

PNWguy

Was just thinking about how in the past few decades, whenever a liberal president was elected, it didn't affect gun sales.  

Since Obama, Americans are now genuinely concerned that their constitutional right is going to be taken away if a democrat gets elected.  If a democrat gets elected or is predicted to be elected, then it causes panicked buying of weapons.

That's a chilling development in our country's history.

You may also wish to consider other socio-political factors: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/26/assault-weapon-ban-clinton-crime-bill-democratic-policy

I recall the days before the 1986 ban of imported military style rifles by Reagan when they were a minor percentage of civilian firearms sales. Prior the them being labeled as society's current pariah, it was snub-nosed revolvers being demonized as "Saturday Night Specials". Copies of The American Rifleman and Guns & Ammo from the 1970s were replete with the "evil" 2 inch revolvers. 

• Like 1

I lived through 1986 and 1994. This is nothing new.  94 was a wild ride. We saw the emergence and then death of the Lever Action. There were some neat versions back in the day. Then, Winchester closed it’s doors in America the Freedom Group ruined marlin. We saw ten round mag limits and waiting periods. Glock 19 standard capacity mags were in excess of $100 a pop. 

3 factors to me- Media, Availability, and purchasing power. 

The fire of panic spreads much more quickly these days with social media fanning the flames, online gun outlets add to the numbers also as one isn’t at the mercy of their LGS. Widespread use of credit cards is another factor. 

Edited by Valmet