Ever seen a shrink?

PNWguy

Been seeing one for a month or so and have found it to be quite helpful.

I quit smoking in February but had remained really grouchy and negative.  My doc had written me a prescription for wellbutrin when I quit to help with the cravings and mood swings and I refused to take it; didn't want to take any drugs.

So after a couple of months of getting worse, I had an appointment and the doc said the health center (company-ran) had just hired a "Occupational Health Therapist" and she needed new patients.  She said it was free and couldn't hurt.

Had probably 5 or so meetings and found it very helpful in changing thought processes to avoid negativity.

I had no idea what to expect but the sessions are just talking and the therapist pointing out how thought patterns develop and making me aware of how past experiences have shaped how I view and think about things.

I confirmed with her that I was not mentally ill or crazy and she laughed and said I was more healthy than probably 90% of the public.

In talking with her about negative interactions with certain people, it struck me that a whole lot of people could benefit from talking to someone and being made aware of their destructive thought processes.

Just wondering if anyone else here has tried therapy.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Been seeing one for a month or so and have found it to be quite helpful.

I quit smoking in February but had remained really grouchy and negative.  My doc had written me a prescription for wellbutrin when I quit to help with the cravings and mood swings and I refused to take it; didn't want to take any drugs.

So after a couple of months of getting worse, I had an appointment and the doc said the health center (company-ran) had just hired a "Occupational Health Therapist" and she needed new patients.  She said it was free and couldn't hurt.

Had probably 5 or so meetings and found it very helpful in changing thought processes to avoid negativity.

I had no idea what to expect but the sessions are just talking and the therapist pointing out how thought patterns develop and making me aware of how past experiences have shaped how I view and think about things.

I confirmed with her that I was not mentally ill or crazy and she laughed and said I was more healthy than probably 90% of the public.

In talking with her about negative interactions with certain people, it struck me that a whole lot of people could benefit from talking to someone and being made aware of their destructive thought processes.

Just wondering if anyone else here has tried therapy.  

No, but I could probably use it.

18 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

You never see a Corvette parked at a shrinks office. Unless it belongs to the shrink.

My Corvette pissed a bunch of people off, which caused a bunch of stress. And it ate 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles, all while 8! GM dealers couldn't fix it. I had to sue GM to force them to buy it back. That **** took an entire year.

If you cherish your mental health, stay away from C07 / Z06 Corvettes.

I have never been to a shrink, but my business partner is a PhD. I have learned A LOT through him, and can confirm that psychotherapy, especially cognitive behavioral therapy, is helping a lot of people, often much better than some drugs which only cascade an underlying issue. I also know a few very successful guys who use psychotherapy for personal growth and coaching. This is also a growing sector in HR.

If you really want to learn about your strengths and weaknesses, do an MBTI test. People who learn how to use their best abilities based on this personalty type test tend to become pretty successful.

Here is a somewhat simplified online test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

My Corvette pissed a bunch of people off, which caused a bunch of stress. And it ate 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles, all while 8! GM dealers couldn't fix it. I had to sue GM to force them to buy it back. That **** took an entire year.

If you cherish your mental health, stay away from C07 / Z06 Corvettes.

I have never been to a shrink, but my business partner is a PhD. I have learned A LOT through him, and can confirm that psychotherapy, especially cognitive behavioral therapy, is helping a lot of people, often much better than some drugs which only cascade an underlying issue. I also know a few very successful guys who use psychotherapy for personal growth and coaching. This is also a growing sector in HR.

If you really want to learn about your strengths and weaknesses, do an MBTI test. People who learn how to use their best abilities based on this personalty type test tend to become pretty successful.

Here is a somewhat simplified online test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

C5 all the way, gotta have pop us headlights

Edited by Dric902

28 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Not sure what you're trying to say...  :dunno:

The idea is to drive or ride a fast car or bike, get an adrenaline rush, which makes you happy, and keeps you away from depression, and having to see a shrink.

While going fast really puts a smile on your face, adrenaline is still a stress factor for your body (fight or flight response). And it still only covers up underlying problems.

I did the fast bikes, fast cars thing, including racing on the race track. It doesn't last. Going fast on the streets brings the additional stress of facing reckless driving tickets or crashing.

You are doing the right thing.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

I read the Stoics.  CBT and Stoicism have a lot in common, I'm told.  I don't know how true that is, not knowing much about CBT.  But I can tell you that Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius completely changed my approach to everything, and not much bothers me anymore.  Even stupid people.  

Twice. Court ordered. 

First. 16 years old. My dad had died, mom went nuts, sister got into drugs. I was trying to stay in school, work two jobs and pay the utilities. A few months later my sister ran away from home and mom started to get better and deal with dad's death. Mom finally figured out I was not sleeping and seemed extremely stressed and not doing well in school. She talked to some shrink who wanted to see me. I refused so the shrink got a court order for me to come to an appointment.

The shrink wanted to talk about childhood traumas like toilet training and a bad bicycle crash. Anything but what I had been going through. Even though I was very active with friends, dating, church, scouts, band etc. she told the court I was displaying anti social behavior. I was ordered to attend the youth meetings of a support group called Parents Without Partners. I went for one month. It was mostly really screwed up kids from divorces. All they wanted to do on their meetings and actives was to sneak off to screw and get stoned. I had to see a family court judge about disobeying the court ordered meetings. I told him I what was going on at their meetings and that the shrink refused to believe that my dad's death and dealing with my fucked up family could be the problem. She thought all an angry 16 year old needed was to get high and screw a few skanky girls. 

He sided with me and dropped the order.

Second was when an underage drunk kid hit my car. The pukes family was EXTREMELY well connected. He was never even charged with a crime. Total coverup. My wife was hospitalized and I had to have knee surgery. My insurance company pushed the issue so his family first tried to show it was my fault. Didn't work so then they tried to say I was an unstable Ex-Marine who was going to snap and kill his whole family. They had a judge order me to see a shrink for a mental evaluation. In the first 15 minutes the shrink figured out this was bull **** and gave a nasty report back to the court. They still refused to take action against the kid. 

I see the value in a mental health professional, I just have a sour taste about it. 

• Like 1

I saw one when I was a kid/adolescent.  Then I had to go through a psych eval before I was sworn in as a reserve deputy. 

Honestly what really helped me this past year was listening to Tony Evans' podcasts and sermons on youtube.  There were others, but he was the big one that helped me the most.  I lost my sister, my aunt, and got diagnosed with diabetes within a 4 month span from late june to early october.  I was ready for all the pain to end.  But mentally I am doing much better now.  Physically I feel like **** right now because my brother gave me a bug.  Doctor has me on a liquid diet for a day or two.  And even that makes me ill.  But I will survive.

• Like 2

I remember seeing the school counselor a few times.

Basic outline of pretty much every conversation: "this is all your fault that these bad things are happening to you by other people, if you completely change everything about who and what you are then they will stop and you will be happy and well liked, if you don't then you're doomed and you deserve it because you didn't listen to me"

Considering I was a little runt that was essentially a punching bag for the bullies, and got suspended every time I tried to fight back, it's a good thing I transferred schools after 6th grade.  For some reason I didn't really have any of those issues anymore either.  

It's good to have someone to talk with about your issues, but only if they are actually able to listen and give you positive feedback.  Sounds like this is what you are getting, so good for you.

• Like 1

no but my wife prolly needs one , when i retire in october i will prolly need one .  

true story  me and wife  sitting out on porch , summer night  she said you might need some anger management   ,  which i prolly did  , it was a week after my mom died  and we had a bookshelf  that one ledge would bow down just be alittle off   i pinched the hell out of thumb i grabbed whole book shelf  threw it off the deck  and landed on hood of my truck .  

but i really was not thinking and said anger management ?  is that therapy where people go and have  like a romper room and throw **** around ?  she said umm no . then i said its not fro me lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see one every day.  My wife is one (clinical psychologist).

Some are good...some are bad.  Such a wide variety of theoretical orientations means that if one does not work for you (talk therapy)...you can try one with a different view of things.  Cognitive therapy tends to be good (along with meds) for depression.  Systems theory seems best if there are family issues.  Behavioral therapy  works for...well...behavioral issues.  Also with dog training.  :>)

My wife has always said the best qualifications are empathy and good listening skills.  So many people don't really listen...they just think of what clever thing they are about to say.  A common failing is also a therapist who, too quickly, tries to problem solve for you.  (My wife has always found this to be more common among male therapists.  She was a professor at a medical school for ten years...and found this to be very common.)  Anyway...watch out for "problem solvers".  

Anyway, a good therapist is gold and can make a great deal of difference in one's life.  And, yes I've seen one other than my wife.  :>)  Talking to friends or relatives is just not the same.