How not to pick a watermelon.

XSIV4S

To start, my wife is the nicest, kindest, west Texas girl and she doesn't have a mean bone in her body, I'm not real sure how she ended up with me. This story isn't some racist rant and I hope no one tries to turn it into one.

She was telling me a few minutes ago how she ended up with the watermelon I was cutting for her. She had been at the store earlier and they had a couple pallets full of watermelons. She noticed a black lady was telling her husband which one to pick. So, my wife walks up to this total stranger and asks her if she could pick a watermelon for her. I explained to her that it is never OK to walk up to a black person she doesn't know and ask them to pick a watermelon for her. ?

After that, I spent another 5 minutes explaining why and I'm still not sure she is convinced.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ASH said:

the right way to pick a water melon is to thump it  , it makes a deep sound its good to go . you just have to learn .  i have not picked a bad melon in years lol

I think you missed the point of the OP’s post, white boy. :crylikeender:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I would do that if I thought she had skills I didn't. Nothing to do with race. 

Me? My theory is to buy the first one my eyes hone in on. So you see, someone having skills beyond mine would be a complement. I really don't see why one would be offended if she was demonstrating (by directing her husband) that she has what it takes to pick a good one.

Signed,

White Girl.

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 2

My Mom did the tapping thing.  She never bought a bad watermelon.  I’ve tried doing it and so far so good.  The melon has to vibrate all the way through and back, a deep sound, and it’s good to go. 

For most produce I just buy it based on basic appearance and almost never have a problem.  Most of it is good.  The people that practically schuck the corn make me want to smack them.  I have never gotten a bad cob and if you did so what?  They are like $0.25.

I would have probably asked her for her technique rather than to pick one for me.

• Like 2

While I was picking out a watermelon Monday at the grocery store, a man approached me and asked me if I knew what I was doing.  He proceeded to tell me how to chose a melon using the thumping method.  It sort of creeped me out, especially since I didn't ask for help.  Had I solicited his input, it would have been different.  I certainly wouldn't hesitate to approach someone of a different ethnicity if I felt they possessed knowledge that I didn't have but would benefit me.  People will see racism wherever they want.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, XSIV4S said:

To start, my wife is the nicest, kindest, west Texas girl and she doesn't have a mean bone in her body, I'm not real sure how she ended up with me. This story isn't some racist rant and I hope no one tries to turn it into one.

She was telling me a few minutes ago how she ended up with the watermelon I was cutting for her. She had been at the store earlier and they had a couple pallets full of watermelons. She noticed a black lady was telling her husband which one to pick. So, my wife walks up to this total stranger and asks her if she could pick a watermelon for her. I explained to her that it is never OK to walk up to a black person she doesn't know and ask them to pick a watermelon for her. ?

After that, I spent another 5 minutes explaining why and I'm still not sure she is convinced.

First off, women can tread into areas where men might not go because they know they are not going to be perceived as a threat. Also, since the man's wife was there and involved in the process, it was one of those female-to-female connections that men usually can't replicate. Finally, as you note about not a mean bone in her body, I'd say she only sees one race...the human race with skin color having little to do with how she engages the rest of the world. As for me, I'm a fully senior-discount-qualified white male who just likes to talk food with anybody, anytime, anywhere. If I were not certain about my selection skills and heard somebody who sounded knowledgeable, I'd not hesitate to ask that person for an opinion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XSIV4S said:

Yeah, I guess he is retired by now. I haven't heard his name in awhile.

A few of his specials were shown on VH1 years ago.  They were pretty funny.  Honestly, the smashing watermelons was my least favorite bit.

1 hour ago, Foxterriermom said:

While I was picking out a watermelon Monday at the grocery store, a man approached me and asked me if I knew what I was doing.  He proceeded to tell me how to chose a melon using the thumping method.  It sort of creeped me out, especially since I didn't ask for help.  Had I solicited his input, it would have been different.  I certainly wouldn't hesitate to approach someone of a different ethnicity if I felt they possessed knowledge that I didn't have but would benefit me.  People will see racism wherever they want.

And you thought you needed to hang out in the ice cream section to attract men? They’re everywhere. Even in the produce section ;)  

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

A few of his specials were shown on VH1 years ago.  They were pretty funny.  Honestly, the smashing watermelons was my least favorite bit.

Interesting factoid in one of his specials he had Gary Heisy make a small appearance.  Gary for a long time held the absolute deadlift record at like 921.  And honestly some of the heavier ones that have happened since then weren't as strictly judged.  It was practically a stiff leg deadlift too.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, ASH said:

if you ever get chance to watch movie : the watermelon man   you will laugh your ass off . its a comedy . 

With Godfrey Cambridge. I saw that movie when it first came out in the 70's. -loved it. I also love the song that came out many years earlier written by Herbie Hancock in 1962

Edited by Borg warner

15 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Interesting factoid in one of his specials he had Gary Heisy make a small appearance.  Gary for a long time held the absolute deadlift record at like 921.  And honestly some of the heavier ones that have happened since then weren't as strictly judged.  It was practically a stiff leg deadlift too.

I remember that guy.  He was an absolute beast.  IIRC he was pretty tall too and it looks like he's a conventional deadlifter.