I lost my little buddy today.

Dan Guillory

Seven years ago, family circumstances conspired to implant a house pet into my life for the first time. My daughter managed to implant a little sphinx kitten into our home.

I have always been very anti-cat but this little guy seemed harmless enough so I figured I could tolerate him until other arrangements could be made.

So, you might know it, this little fellow attached himself to me...the very person trying to get rid of him. He took great interest in everything I did, watching very carefully. He was always waiting at the door for me when I got home and followed me to the door to say goodbye. As time went on, I got used to the attention and he was always there to comment on my cooking, reloading technique, and television programming. He loved to watch the outdoor channel with me (really!) and favored bird hunting shows. Any program with birds received his rapt attention.

After a few years, I learned that some sphinx cats are born with a heart condition that shortens their lives. Unfortunately, my little buddy developed a heart problem at about age 5. Today, he passed away at the vet's office and I can't believe how much it hurts. The house seems empty without him. The daughter offered to get me another kitten but I don't want this pain again.

He was more like a puppy than a cat in many respects. I don't think I could find another like him. I still can't believe I could get this attached to a cat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

2 minutes ago, Dan Guillory said:

Seven years ago, family circumstances conspired to implant a house pet into my life for the first time. My daughter managed to implant a little sphinx kitten into our home.

I have always been very anti-cat but this little guy seemed harmless enough so I figured I could tolerate him until other arrangements could be made.

So, you might know it, this little fellow attached himself to me...the very person trying to get rid of him. He took great interest in everything I did, watching very carefully. He was always waiting at the door for me when I got home and followed me to the door to say goodbye. As time went on, I got used to the attention and he was always there to comment on my cooking, reloading technique, and television programming. He loved to watch the outdoor channel with me (really!) and favored bird hunting shows. Any program with birds received his rapt attention.

After a few years, I learned that some sphinx cats are born with a heart condition that shortens their lives. Unfortunately, my little buddy developed a heart problem at about age 5. Today, he passed away at the vet's office and I can't believe how much it hurts. The house seems empty without him. The daughter offered to get me another kitten but I don't want this pain again.

He was more like a puppy than a cat in many respects. I don't think I could find another like him. I still can't believe I could get this attached to a cat.

I'm sorry to hear that. 

• Like 2

I am sorry for your loss.  Four weeks ago I had to put my 18 year old cat down.  We adopted him at a shelter for my daughter but like you he picked me, maybe because I picked him at the shelter.  This cat was 1.5 years old and had been in the shelter for four months before going home with us.  He was a black and white calico with soft long hair.  When I let him out of that cage to check him out he was so pleased and would not stop head butting my leg.  We named him Sylvester and he was the most loyal cat, got along well with our dogs and our younger cat too.   He remained very healthy until his kidneys failed.

Silver2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Really sorry to read this.  I'm sorry for your loss.  

My gf was always a big dog fan. She had 2 great boxer dogs when I met her.  They have since passed and she decided to save a little cat from the shelter.  Almost every day she says to me that she cant believe how she ever got attached to a cat.  We now have 3 kitters and are always on the lookout at the shelter for another old cat that keeps getting passed by to give it another chance.  Maybe you could give that a thought. 

Cats are awesome!

• Like 4

sorry for the loss  it hurts  , we have had pets all our lives , and we donate and help support  rescues  ans no kill shelters.  i know it hurts and it never goes away

but please think about rescuing  a furr friend  there are so many  that have never had a chance.  the chihuahua rescue in my sig   the other day  raided a puppy mill

there were several that were in small wire cages for years  , did not know what grass was .  in the last 2 years we lost 4 cats and 2 pups .  we rescued to other pups \

its not to take the place  but to give furr friends a family and a chance at a happy life .  i hope once the pain  wains a bit you will give that special furr baby a new daddy

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dan Guillory said:

It’s funny how pets will decide to be buddies with the one person in a household trying to hold them at arm’s length. I guess playing hard to get is a technique that transcends species. I’m sorry for your loss. 

• Like 2

I am very sorry for your loss. Companion animals are amazing. Focus on the wonderful times you had with him, and don’t shut your heart from loving another animal. 

Thank you for loving Sylvester so much ❤️

Edited by RugerCat78
  • Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.  They always seem to move on too soon; in this case especially so.  It sounds like you gave your little buddy a wonderful home and life, and he will be waiting for you on the far side of the bridge...  Critters like that give unconditional love, and that's an amazing thing.  The hurt will fade, and the good memories reassert themselves in time, and eventually, when the time is right, another will burrow into your heart and take up residence.

My deepest condolences.

-Pat

• Like 2

Just few months ago we had to put down Grace at the age of 15, she was a dog that my wife wanted to adopt from the pound and I didn't really like. Just as in your case, she grew on me and I will have to admit I turned into big old crying idiot when we finally had to put her down. Yet, as I was reminded to remember all the good times. 

Pets are wonderful additions to our lives and you have my sympathy with the lose of yours.

• Like 2