Anyone else into cap & ball?

Collim1

My favorite is a 1851 Navy. I have a Uberti  I shoot round ball out of. 

Just for fun a while back I carried it for a week of fishing and riding four wheelers around the family farm. 

I didn’t feel unarmed by any means. 

Lately it has been neglected out of laziness because I just don’t feel like cleaning it up afterwards. When the weather cools off this fall I need to do some shooting.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Ruger Old Army SS here; don't shoot it much, but it's fun when I do.

Very practical choice from a Cleaning and maintenance perspective. If I had time to shoot more cap and ball I would definitely consider picking one up. Those things have gotten expensive, And aren’t getting any easier to find. If I had time to shoot more cap and ball I would definitely consider picking one up. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, redrick said:

I love my Remington 1858 New Army and I have been really thinking about getting a 1851 Navy soon .  It looks like it handles good in the hand , such a sleek looking C&B . It is near the top of my long wish list .

+ 1 on the 1858 Remington. Great shooter!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Ruger Old Army SS here; don't shoot it much, but it's fun when I do.

I bought an Old Army SS years ago. Fun shooter and extremely accurate. One of the two most accurate six guns I have owned.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have two blued old Army's.  One I bought in the mid 1970's from a little gun shop in Indianapolis.  The other belonged to my Dad and I inherited it when he passed.  Dad and I enjoyed going out to the range and blasting away with these. 

5 hours ago, norton said:

I have two blued old Army's.  One I bought in the mid 1970's from a little gun shop in Indianapolis.  The other belonged to my Dad and I inherited it when he passed.  Dad and I enjoyed going out to the range and blasting away with these. 

4 hours ago, Historian said:

Uberti Colt Walker. It sounds like a 20 ga. when shot.

It’s been too hot and humid to play much with blackpowder this summer. I haven’t shot BP a single time in several months.

I’m ready for cooler weather. And possibly a new toy to play with. I’m thinking an 1858 Remington.  

The Walker sounds fun. 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:39 AM, Collim1 said:

My favorite is a 1851 Navy. I have a Uberti  I shoot round ball out of. 

Just for fun a while back I carried it for a week of fishing and riding four wheelers around the family farm. 

I didn’t feel unarmed by any means. 

Lately it has been neglected out of laziness because I just don’t feel like cleaning it up afterwards. When the weather cools off this fall I need to do some shooting.  

Have you tried Hodgdon's triple seven BP substitute? Much less corrosive, cleans up with regular bore solvents, The only thing I don't like about it is that I love the smell of Black powder and to me triple doesn't smell as good. 

9 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Have you tried Hodgdon's triple seven BP substitute? Much less corrosive, cleans up with regular bore solvents, The only thing I don't like about it is that I love the smell of Black powder and to me triple doesn't smell as good. 

I have tried the Triple Seven but I just found another I like better. It's Alliant Powder "Blackmz". I think it may be the best BP substitute yet. The advertise it as "Virtually non-corrosive" and they may be right. I fired 7 cylinders of it, 42 rounds, in my 1858 Remington and it didn't seem to build up at all. As far as the non-corrosive part, I clean my BP guns right after I'm done shooting so I really don't know yet. I may try to burn off some on a piece of steel sometime and see how it does without cleaning.

50 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Yes. And I currently have two pounds of it on hand because it’s availabke locally. 

My only gripe is it’s pretty hot compared to Pyrodex P or BP. I have to download a full 5 grains with the 777, and that puts my ball pretty far down in the cylinder and away from the forcing cone.  

It does shoot and clean up nice. It’s also affordable and available locally which is why I have two cans of it on hand. 

11 hours ago, Collim1 said:

Yes. And I currently have two pounds of it on hand because it’s availabke locally. 

My only gripe is it’s pretty hot compared to Pyrodex P or BP. I have to download a full 5 grains with the 777, and that puts my ball pretty far down in the cylinder and away from the forcing cone.  

It does shoot and clean up nice. It’s also affordable and available locally which is why I have two cans of it on hand. 

It is Hotter but I only down load it a couple of grains and it still shoots to the same point of aim. I also use wonder wads under the ball to prevent chain fires. Years ago I used Crisco and that makes a horrible mess. Wonder wads are the only way to go,

I have an 1851 navy replica  and I've owned 1860's and 1858 Remington's. at one time back in the 70's someone was making a Colt Dragoon in 50 caliber and I wish I had got one of those when I had the chance. I also passed on the chance to get a Colt 3rd Generation Signature Series which were made from 1979 to 1982. My younger brother bought an 1860 and kept in unfired in the box and sold it about 6-7 years later. the one I wanted was the 1849 pocket revolver. 

I also liked the Ruger old army's but I liked them a lot better when they came out with the fixed sight models because they looked more authentic. There was also a company that made 45 long colt conversion cylinder for them.

Edited by Borg warner

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

It is Hotter but I only down load it a couple of grains and it still shoots to the same point of aim. I also use wonder wads under the ball to prevent chain fires. Years ago I used Crisco and that makes a horrible mess. Wonder wads are the only way to go,

I have an 1851 navy replica  and I've owned 1860's and 1858 Remington's. at one time back in the 70's someone was making a Colt Dragoon in 50 caliber and I wish I had got one of those when I had the chance. I also passed on the chance to get a Colt 3rd Generation Signature Series which were made from 1979 to 1982. My younger brother bought an 1860 and kept in unfired in the box and sold it about 6-7 years later. the one I wanted was the 1849 pocket revolver. 

I also liked the Ruger old army's but I liked them a lot better when they came out with the fixed sight models because they looked more authentic. There was also a company that made 45 long colt conversion cylinder for them.

I have actually not tried Wonder Wads, though I am aware they are very popular. 

I use Bore Butter as a chamber sealant and really like it. It keeps the fouling soft and I can shoot 8+ cylinders before the fouling starts causing problems. 

However, warm weather the Bore Butter sucks. It melts and makes a mess everywhere.  And below 40 degrees it sucks again as it’s too hard to use  

I am planning to try some pre-lubed wads next time I go to the family property, mainly for the conveinence factor. 

Ruger Old Army in stainless steel. I believe it is a 1999 model. The long barrel, adjustable rear sight model given to me by my father as a pawn shop find in 2001.

Despite the long barrel length,it has to me excellent balance as long as the “pinkie” finger is under the bottom of the frame.

He paid $175 USD for it.

I have at least tested every weapon I have ever owned.

Except for this one, and I don’t know why.

I have all the components, but after all these years I have never put a single charge through it.

Strange.

I should have killed at least one pumpkin or NECCO wafer by now.

Edited by OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi,

give it a try at least, while cap and ball revolvers, like all black powder guns are a pita to clean, I really love them. I know this is the revolver forum but I have some muzzle loaders that are a blast! Anybody who shoots them is surprised by the mild recoil.

flintlock.jpg

Kentucky pistol.jpg

muzzleloader2.jpeg

Pedersoli1.jpeg

Edited by Andyd

Love C&B revolvers. I owned over a dozen at one time. Still have a '61 Navy .36 cal. by Uberti, and a '60 Army .44 cal. by Uberti. Also still have 2 Ruger blue Old Armies, one of which I built a Remington style loading lever for. I don't care for Rugers loading lever on those guns.

Still have a '58 Remington copy too; a Pietta Stainless .44 cal. I've had a few Blackpowder rifles also, and still have a .45 cal. Cabela's "Hawken" style; very accurate round ball gun, which I added a nice peep sight and a Lyman globe front sight too. It's an amazingly accurate rifle for a relatively inexpensive Italian repo.

I've only used blackpowder myself, never tried the substitutes. I love the smoke and smell and dirt! I don't know how they fought wars with these things with all the smoke making it so hard to see what they were shooting at. I use 3F Swiss mostly, and old Alcan .410 ga. felt shotshell wads in my .44's and Ruger .45's. Bore Butter on top of the balls.

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

• Like 1