Why did you stop going to school?

Rabbi

Started 2 year Petroleum Technology degree at age 17.

Went to work  in the oilfield at age 18 while finishing school. Full-time oilpatch age 19. 

Met Ms. gamboolgal, and that was that for me.  That was 40 year ago.

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go

• Like 1

Left college after 3 yrs.  Mostly due to being immature at that time, but also financial and other hardships...Always intended to go back, but never did.   Would I change that?  Probably.  Do I regret it?  Not really, I had a lot of fun.   Would I suggest anyone else to take the route I took?  Definitely not.  ;)

Edited by Scwine

I was 40 credits short of my B.S. in Marine Biology at UGA when my (up to then) part time modeling career started demanding too much time to continue my studies.  I had to choose, and the money was too much to pass up.  But I know I can't do this forever, and eventually I will go back to school and finish my degree.

A couple of bachelors degrees, and then I started working while Mr.C was in law school.  I always thought I'd go back after that, but there was never the time and the money at the same time, then there were kids...

Nowadays, I just study what interests me, on the cheap.  Since the kids will be graduating HS over the next 2-4 years, I expect I'll be back at work, helping foot that bill, rather than going back to school myself.

2 hours ago, Hannie Caulder said:

I was 40 credits short of my B.S. in Marine Biology at UGA when my (up to then) part time modeling career started demanding too much time to continue my studies.  I had to choose, and the money was too much to pass up.  But I know I can't do this forever, and eventually I will go back to school and finish my degree.

In a year and a half, you can be done.

27 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

In a year and a half, you can be done.

Yes, that's about right.  If I take care of myself I figure I can do what I'm doing for another 6 -7 years.  After that, I'll finish my degree.  FIT here in Melbourne has an excellent marine biology program.

8 hours ago, Hannie Caulder said:

Yes, that's about right.  If I take care of myself I figure I can do what I'm doing for another 6 -7 years.  After that, I'll finish my degree.  FIT here in Melbourne has an excellent marine biology program.

Did you work Swim Week?  :whistling:

One semester of grad school was enough to make me realize that an advanced degree in Psychology was a waste of time unless I was going to take it all the way (Doctor or PhD).   I had been working all through undergrad and realized that I enjoyed a paycheck more than going to class.

I got an associates in criminal justice. It was too easy and boring. I also interned at the courthouse and sat in on some murder stuff and some law and order svu stuff. It was dark and I decided I didn’t want that in my life. 

So I got a bs in environmental science. I took gre and was accepted to grad school but decided not to do it. I was already 35,000 in debt and didn’t think the benefit of it would make up for time lost and more debt.  

Sometimes I wish I had just to do it and have learned more.  I have a great job in my field, a house, a family and my debt will hopefully soon be paid off.  I’m where I’m supposed to be I think. 

I’d like to be able to provide for my son so he won’t have to struggle with life and education like I did. 

I have BS Ed, M Ed, and Ed S degrees, all in Early Childhood Education.  I didn't continue to an Ed D (Doctor of Education) degree because at that time, I would have priced myself out of my job as an elementary classroom teacher.  With an Ed D, my system would have expected me to pursue a different position which I did not want to do.  Therefore, no regrets.  

If I were still teaching today, however, I would get my Ed D, as it is now more acceptable for a classroom teacher.  FWIW, I don't think it would have made me a better teacher, but it would have meant an increase in pay as well as in retirement benefits.  Also, my late husband always kind of wanted me to, "just because" I could have.  (Although he had a bachelor's degree in engineering and had taught some college classes, he didn't consider himself much of a scholar, but he thought I was.  He thought it would've been cool for me to be a "Dr." as well as a "Mrs.," LOL.)

I'm now retired and have no desire for another degree.  I do still very much enjoy learning new things about various topics.  I find the Bible and Christian theology especially fascinating on both a personal and intellectual level, and I've taken some free online courses through DTS which I enjoyed.

I am still a college student; started in 1990.

You might say I'm an unrepentant serial student.   In six years I received and AA, AS, BA and BS and graduated as a certified police officer (technically not a degree).  Then returned to get another A.A in another technical area.

That took about 17 years.  Started a management and leadership program at the Master's level almost a year ago.

If i had a million bucks I would go back to school and collect them all.   I admit to being a bit of a book worm. I rather like the process of learning.   So I've taken a boat load of classes at various universities and online companies in a lot of topics ranging from the history of music to the current one (micro electronics).  When i retire I'll likely go for a PHD in history because it will keep me from annoying Mrs. Historian too much.  She has four college degrees herself.

Education will open doors:  So will a breacher.

I could have done a lot of what i do without a college degree.  That being said it would make life harder.

Edited by Historian