Honda Pioneer 500 - experiences?

PNWguy

I think I want one.  It's 50" wide so it will go on any trail I need in this area, legally, it's "cheap" at $9500, It's a Honda.  And I can haul a passenger and my dog.

Anybody own one or driven one or have a friend with one?

See the source image

Jeeps are pretty much worthless out here since 98% of the roads in the mountains are gated off and restricted to 50" machines or less.  I had a Jeep for a year.  I drove it more around town than I did in the mountains.  If you want to truly get out in the wilderness and explore, then you have to have either a horse or an ATV or UTV narrower than 50%.  Nearly every road that isn't gated off is easily navigated by a stock SUV or pickup. 

7 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I don't get paying that much for those things.  You can get a Jeep for that and drive it on the road.  The UTVs are easier to get unstuck and may ride better but the Jeep can carry more and does not have to be trailered.

I don't know. When I'll have some acreage, I want something that gets through tight trails and is easy to jump in and get to the other side of the property. A fully blown car or truck would be too much for that task.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crockett said:

I don't know. When I'll have some acreage, I want something that gets through tight trails and is easy to jump in and get to the other side of the property. A fully blown car or truck would be too much for that task.

I could see it for work, in that case I would buy something with a bed on the back like a Kubota at auction.  They just had a bunch go for $3,500, I would have like to have gotten one.

Edited by RenoF250

5 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I could see it for work, in that case I would buy something with a bed on the back like a Kubota at aution.  They just had a bunch go for $3,500, I would have like to have gotten one.

Ha! Do not send me to Kubota. I could spend hours on their website, and end up with a tractor in my garage.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PNWguy said:

See the source image

Actually, I found a great Honda Pioneer forum that I'm perusing that is super helpful.  Feel free to hijack this one all you want...  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

1269259657_omg_cat.gif

If our people know anything about the Honda Pioneer I'm sure they will jump in. But chances are that we don't have too many guys owning one (if at all). This forum is still small and growing.

3 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

You forgot the thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket.

This is better:

:drool:

But those are also double in price.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

I don't get paying that much for those things.  You can get a Jeep for that and drive it on the road.  The UTVs are easier to get unstuck and may ride better but the Jeep can carry more and does not have to be trailered.

I totally get paying that much if you can afford it  but I think for my budget I'd get an older Yamaha SR 500 that was licensed for the street so it didn't have to be trailered and then I'd put a sidecar on it for passengers, or dogs, or stuff. When I'm out in the woods I try to keep the amount of stuff that I carry to a minimum, just basic survival gear, which includes a Glock 20.

9 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I think I want one.  It's 50" wide so it will go on any trail I need in this area, legally, it's "cheap" at $9500, It's a Honda.  And I can haul a passenger and my dog.

Anybody own one or driven one or have a friend with one?

See the source image

Is that the one that’s the same width as the Rancher?

I have a 2006 Honda Rancher that I would trade for a UTV in a heartbeat.  My Rancher does get a lot of use, but the rear box and passenger seat would be nice.

10 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I totally get paying that much if you can afford it  but I think for my budget I'd get an older Yamaha SR 500 that was licensed for the street so it didn't have to be trailered and then I'd put a sidecar on it for passengers, or dogs, or stuff. When I'm out in the woods I try to keep the amount of stuff that I carry to a minimum, just basic survival gear, which includes a Glock 20.

Have you ever seen a motorcycle with a sidecar negotiating trails in the woods?  I don't think that would work at all.  Rather comical idea, actually.

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Have you ever seen a motorcycle with a sidecar negotiating trails in the woods?  I don't think that would work at all.  Rather comical idea, actually.

Right. As an experiment it probably wouldn't work.  I was just tryin gto figure aout a way someone could come up with a dual-use vehicle that could still carry a passenger or cargo. My brother bought one of those Yamaha 500 singles as a trail bike but the one he found didn't have lights and wasn't licensed for the street so he ended up selling it and getting the street version of the same bike and all he needs for trails is the bike and the same daypack that he uses for hunting, and he leaved his wife and dog at home and his son has his own trail bike.

Went and sat in or test drove every 50" UTV on the market today.

Very, very educational.

UTVs are wildly different in the sizes of drivers they accommodate.  I'm 6'2".  I don't fit in a CF Moto UTV.  I don't fit in the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail.  I barely fit in the Honda Pioneer 500.  Not sure if I can operate one for more than a half hour without having to stop and stretch my legs.  Very disappointed.  Loved the rest of it (other than lack of cab storage).

The Polaris Rzr 570 was a perfect fit and the Can Am Maverick Trail 800 was a close second.  I really, really liked the Can Am and Polaris.  But the Can Am is $3000 more than either the Honda or Polaris.

Not sure what I'm going to do....

I'm normally a "Buy American" kind of guy, but Honda does build quality stuff. 

Can't help on the UTE.  If I lived in an area where you could use one, I would buy.  In our town and surrounding towns the big thing now is-

Golf Cart.jpg