buried or cremated ? and why

ASH

I have an older friend , JW . He was one of my dad's friend growing up . My dad worked a lot and JW new I liked hunting and would take me hunting a lot , his son was to young to go yet . Now that he is older he ask me to do little things for him every now and then . He tells me I am going to pay you back for that and I tell him he paid me back a long time ago , when you took me hunting when I was a kid .

He asked me this same question as the subject of this thread . I told him that I wanted to be cremated and my ashes dumped in the woods where I hunt and at the beach where I fish .  My reason is , I don't want my son to waste time going to a grave site or feel obligated or guilty for going or not going . We are also running out of land and I do not want my bones taking up that precious space on this earth .

My friend JW told me that he wants me to reload some of his ashes in some shotgun shells and pass them out on a rabbit hunt and say there he goes and everyone shoot .

• Like 1

No matter which way you decide do your survivors a favor and have it all worked out ahead of time. Every detail and paid for if possible. My maternal grandmother had all her arrangements made and paid prior to. A big relief to mom.

My Wife died suddenly in 2003.

She was cremated and buried in the back yard.

My friends have instructions to do the same with me.

I already have a stone made, dated when my Wife died.  I feel my life, as it was, ended on that date.

I am not religious.  I told my religious friends to say whatever makes them feel good.

Now the tree is large and pretty.

1203398909_Hazel12.thumb.JPG.595412a4545168511cfc72cbfe3dccfb.JPG

Edited by M2 Carbine
  • Like 1

I have no plot reserved and where my parents are interred is full.

As a Navy veteran, I can be buried at sea or possibly, in a veteran's cemetery.

I choose to be cremated and buried at sea.

No sense in wasting good farm land.

• Like 2

Wife and I have talked about this; now that I am in the mountains I want to be cremated and scattered next to a mountain lake we fish at. If I kill an elk that is the spot I want to be scattered.

I have no kids, no body would care where I was.

Wife wants to be cremated and scattered on her parants graves; her son would never visit a grave.

Plus it's cheaper, doesn't waste land and plants need to eat too.

Edited by F350
  • Like 1

Cremated, ashes put in a huge firework mortar and shot over Lake Dunmore at the Camp Keewaydin at their Fourth of July fireworks show. Why? Because I want to go out with a bang, that and I’m an attention whore.

Donate remains to science, or cremated and have ashes scattered at my favorite backpacking sites... Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Badlands, Mt.St.Helens, Glacier NP., Big Horn Mtns.   I'll be dead, though, so if that's too much trouble, the family can do whatever the heck they want.  I won't haunt them for it.

Cremated.

i`m more concerned with what happens to my Soul when i die,rather then my body when i leave it.

that being said.

i want my ashes scattered at Fenway Park,whether Fenway likes it or not.

my hope is one day a piece of my ashes will be caught by the wind and land directly in the eye of a Yankees batter causing the Red Sox to win yet another World Series and if so,your welcome future Red Sox fans!

I worked for a guy who  for 30 years had at least 3 Martinis at lunch each day without fail. Vodka drinks all evenings and rum and coke on the weekends on his boat in the summers.  I remember when he died and was cremated it took three days to put out the fire.

He was a nice guy but that was always the joke among us who knew him.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:30 PM, tous said:

So, what does a do-it-yourself burial look like?

You dig the hole, drop dead and as you fall into the hole you pull the dirt in after you?

:599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

Well, I'm in the process of making all the arrangements and paying for everything in advance; however, your way might be cheaper.

• Like 1

If I had my way, I want to be disposed of another way.

Burial wastes large amounts of metal and concrete and injects large amounts of highly toxic waste through embalming fluid.

Cremation burns large amounts of natural gas or electricity, polluting the air and releasing the vaporized mercury in amalgam dental work as an aerosolized toxic heavy metal in the area surrounding the cremation facility.  

I'd rather use the Swedish method of Promession. It is an evironmentally friendly method of disposing of animal/human bodies. A body is placed into a large dewar and the dewar is filled with liquid nitrogen. This flash freezes the remains. The nitrogen is then vented off into the atmosphere [roughly 80% of the air we breathe in is nitrogen] and the dewar is emptied. The body is moved onto a vibratory table and is shaken. The body then loses its' integrity and is now simply small pieces [large bones such as the femur, etc. and powder. This is then placed into what is known as a 'cremulator' - a large washing machine-like tumbler with steel spheres inside designed to crush the larger remains into powder [this is also what is done to cremated remains]. Then the powder is removed and placed into a hydraulic press that compacts the powder into a biodegradable "tablet" that contains all the chemical properties of the body [unlike cremains which have no useful function - other than the emotions of the relatives]. The tablet is then placed into the ground at a shallower depth than traditional burial and then a tree can be placed over or near the "tablet". The tree, shrub, or plants will use the nutrients in the "tablet" to nourish the plant/tree and complete the circle of life.

The liquid nitrogen comes from industrial production of liquid oxygen for medical use and while some of the liquid nitrogen is used in welding and other industrial processes, much of it is simply vented back into the atmosphere as waste. Taking some of this nitrogen, placing in into gas cylinders, and using it to chill the deceased would be far better than burning more hydrocarbons and aggravating air pollution, filling up cemeteries full of toxic waste/metals/concrete, and relatives could go to parks and visit a tree that grew as a result of their loved one. 

Veterinary schools, universities, or other such entities could process large amounts of deceased animals and the process kills known diseases and makes them safe for handling or disposal.

All the technology exists now and nothing has to be invented. It is simply weaning the funeral industry away from dangerous chemicals [embalming], although this process can accept embalmed remains that need to be transported, and to have them stop using industrial incinerators to pollute the skies with more hydrocarbons. 

I've talked to physicians, medical examiners, veterinarians, engineers, and others. They all believe it to be a great idea. Getting State regulators to approve it is the most difficult part.

After going thru some family deaths I’d would be fine to catapult -trebuchet me into the ocean. Fisish gotta eat. My sister went overboard on my dad’s headstone, I tried to explain after the service i’ll never come back. Simply not a graveyard person. I had Forrest Lawn, a “nice” place to not visit got my wife worked up for a payment when there was a hundred people show up for her mom’s ceremony after a church one. Set my wife off like crazy she was in the position of look at all these people we will pay at the end. Well, I had to step in and $7000 with my credit card (plot was paid for) . Funeral business plays on emotion. 

Edited by Moeman