It’s happened again - Updated

JohnV56

In September 2008, I was one month into my 23rd year at a large multi-national Telecommunications manufacturer. I was invited to attend a mandatory conference call where I and a group of about 150 of my closest teammates were given 60 days notice of that our jobs were being off-shored. We were being given the additional 30 days so that we could train our replacements, mine being based in Mexico City. Being the loyal employee, I did my best to train my replacement in the time allotted while trying to find employment elsewhere in the company. Unfortunately, I did far better training that person than I did in finding a job and was soon relegated to searching as a former employee. 

The severence package was fairly generous and I was promised nearly a year’s pay as long as I kept my mouth shut and didn’t bad-mouth the company or it’s leadership. Alas that was an empty promise as two paychecks in, the company declared bankruptcy in what was then the largest filing of any company in U.S. history. It has taken nearly 9 years for my claim against the company to paid at about 22 cents on the dollar.

In the meantime, the job search for meaningful employment took about 27 months during which time I worked part time for Lowe’s for about 3 months and a contract gig working in a semiconductor factory for about 5 months. Neither was enough to pay the bills and we exhausted all savings and eventually lost our house.

After the lengthy search, I was able to secure employment at a large not-for-profit healthcare system as an IS Operations Manager responsible for managing the resources supporting the telecommunications environment across the enterprise. Eventually, the role was expanded to include the team that supports the workplace network. My team is high functioning and is known for customer service and quality work. It is also the largest team under a single manager in the IS organization.

Fast forward to Wednesday of this week. I went out for lunch with my son who works right down the street. We had a nice lunch and were back in a little under an hour. When I returned, I saw our new (<30 days) VP and acknowledged him. I got back to my cube and immediately got a phone call from said VP who said he’d come to my cube to see me. He asked me to follow him back to an office as he wanted to talk to me.

We went to the office where he cut to the chase pretty quickly and told me that my position was being eliminated effective immediately. While I knew that we were in the process of reorganizing, there had been no talk of any jobs being eliminated. All totaled about 110 people lost their jobs. You guessed it, the company is out-sourcing support, so they are getting rid of people in advance of that.

Cliff notes: Lost job in 2008, took over two years to find another job, after seven successful years on the job, got laid off again.

Edited by JohnV56
  • Sad 4

Thanks! My situation is quite a bit different this time around. Cars are paid for, house payment well under average rental cost, and very low credit card debt. I’ll not be looking for anything comparable to what I just lost, so that should make things easier. Not sweating it yet, I should have a few months.

• Like 2

I worked for a defense system contractor (500+ people) in Texas.  One day the fire alarms went off and everyone evacuated to their designated areas in the parking lots.  When everyone was accounted for,  we got the all-clear to return, except....

Everyone had to use the main front entrance.  And use their access card, one at a time.

If your card didn't work...  you got to wait over there.....

I thought that was pretty cold.

• Sad 1

Been there done that. The next time they tell you to train your replacement , you tell them heck no and if they don’t still offer you a nice severance, you will have your lawyer contact them to discuss the age discrimination lawsuit. There is a time and place for everything.

Next, if you don”t already know it, you need to change your profession. Foreigners in Mexico City or India cannot be on site here working out the bugs in  software package that is a part of the controls in a waste incinerator compressed air system or the controls in Robotics at Ford KCP F150 plant in Kansas City or in the controls in a cooling tower at the Federal Pen in El Reno, OK  

You travel a lot, Eat bad food, Freeze your ass off and Sweat your ass off but once the word gets out that you know your shiat and are dependable, you will never miss a house note  You won’t be hobnobbing with the corporate suck arses who will fire you in a new york minute but you will meet some real people with grease and dirt under their fingernails who will  become friends for live.

This is the best thing that has ever happened to you. You about to find God’s calling for your life and soar with real eagles instead of a chicken manure buzzards who would fire you rifht after you said hello to him in the parking lot after making you succy off in a back roon like the sniveling coward that he is  

Edited by Will Beararms

47 minutes ago, Will Beararms said:

Been there done that. The next time they tell you to train your replacement , you tell them heck no and if they don’t still offer you a nice severance, you will have your lawyer contact them to discuss the age discrimination lawsuit. There is a time and place for everything.

Next, if you don”t already know it, you need to change your profession. Foreigners in Mexico City or India cannot be on site here working out the bugs in  software package that is a part of the controls in a waste incinerator compressed air system or the controls in Robotics at Ford KCP F150 plant in Kansas City or in the controls in a cooling tower at the Federal Pen in El Reno, OK  

You travel a lot, Eat bad food, Freeze your ass off and Sweat your ass off but once the word gets out that you know your shiat and are dependable, you will never miss a house note  You won’t be hobnobbing with the corporate suck arses who will fire you in a new york minute but you will meet some real people with grease and dirt under their fingernails who will  become friends for live.

This is the best thing that has ever happened to you. You about to find God’s calling for your life and soar with real eagles instead of a chicken manure buzzards who would fire you rifht after you said hello to him in the parking lot after making you succy off in a back roon like the sniveling coward that he is  

Well that escalated quickly! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Heehaw said:

Well that escalated quickly! 

I’ve been through what the OP has been through (4) times.  The value is in the plant level making things work that poorly trained salespeople can’t make work. 

Manufacturers used to restrict their sales channel to distributors who knew what they were doing. Now, they will sell to anyone and hope tney can do the commissioning, set up and training at the end user level.

What I am talking about are HVAC systems, Chillers, Compressed air systems, Robotics, Fluid Handling Sytems, Vacuum Systems, Boiler Systems, etc. —— anything where there is an interface  —— Controls       . Controls is the name of the game. Do things a help desk operator in India can’t do and tell that Mid Level Magagement Suclk up to kiss your butt  What he//she can’t grasp is this: Uptime. The minimum hourly run rate for an automotive plant is $10,000/hr.  The average titty clinic does $100K/Day. A Chemical plant is at a minimum of $500K a day but most are around $1 Mil per day. Bottom line, America needs dependable people who understand the software behind controls. Aknod and Punjab across the pond in a call center can’t provide what is needed.  Carpe Diem!

Edited by Will Beararms
  • Like 3

That really sucks.

After fighting the battle over the last 35 years, and, like you, having things paid down a little more, at the age of 57, I finally gave up a couple of years ago, and took a job as the maintenance dude at an assisted living facility.

The pay does suck as compared to positions in the recent past, but I'm finding the work to be incredibly satisfying, and I really appreciate the lack of pressure wand weight on my shoulders as fro jobs past.

I'm sure you'll find something soon, but if you're in your fifties, beware the infamous age discrimination.  They say is doesn't happen, but we all know that's bullshit.  

At any rate, you've done the drill, and you know that they can't kill you and eat you, so you're gonna land on your feet, I'm sure.

7 hours ago, jame said:

I'm sure you'll find something soon, but if you're in your fifties, beware the infamous age discrimination.  They say is doesn't happen, but we all know that's bull****.

I'm on the downhill side of that and  (luckily? unluckily?) I've worked myself into a very small specialty.  I work field service (I would work this job for free) and every site I go to I grab business cards from everyone.

Now I've got a 4" or 5" stack of cards from people that have worked with me, or at least met me and know my name and the company I'm from.  I'm assuming that those cards will be a goldmine of opportunity, should the hammer drop.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Will Beararms said:

I’ve been through what the OP has been through (4) times.  The value is in the plant level making things work that poorly trained salespeople can’t make work. 

Manufacturers used to restrict their sales channel to distributors who knew what they were doing. Now, they will sell to anyone and hope tney can do the commissioning, set up and training at the end user level.

What I am talking about are HVAC systems, Chillers, Compressed air systems, Robotics, Fluid Handling Sytems, Vacuum Systems, Boiler Systems, etc. —— anything where there is an interface  —— Controls       . Controls is the name of the game. Do things a help desk operator in India can’t do and tell that Mid Level Magagement Suclk up to kiss your butt  What he//she can’t grasp is this: Uptime. The minimum hourly run rate for an automotive plant is $10,000/hr.  The average titty clinic does $100K/Day. A Chemical plant is at a minimum of $500K a day but most are around $1 Mil per day. Bottom line, America needs dependable people who understand the software behind controls. Aknod and Punjab across the pond in a call center can’t provide what is needed.  Carpe Diem!

I understand completly. I work in a chemical manufacturing facility....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ASH said:

i hope you find something that sucks a big fat one ,  thats why im thankful everyday  im self employed   .  people should count their blessing . 

Lol. That's why punctuation is so very, very important :)

OP, sounds like you're in a much better position this time around than you were the last. I wish you the best of luck. I work for a start-up that appears to have a very bright future and I see things changing at a rapid pace that could mean I will be in the same position. If I get one more year in, I'll be ready for retirement. :fingers crossed:

• Haha 5

Thanks for all the kind words! I was 52 when I was laid off the first time and I’m 61 this time around. Honestly, I’m thinking of low key jobs that end when the day ends. I was very technical on the hardware end until I moved into management, but throughout my career I’ve been on-call and expected to be available at a moments notice. This last job required me to be on-call and available 24x7, 365 days of the year and carrying a cell phone constantly. I’m ready for less stress and pressure.

Update: Accepted a job offer in my industry, scheduled to start next Monday. Less money, but less responsibility, no on-call, 40 hour work week. All in all, a very fair recovery.

Thanks to all for the kind words and well wishes!

• Like 2