Amateur Radio

Anyone doing anything interesting with Ham radio?  I'm primarily a mobile user and Skywarn member.  I've done some low Earth orbit satellite stuff but it got kind of boring just making contacts and not actually talking to folks.  We have fantastic UHF statewide coverage here in Florida and a couple linked systems that can effectively do coast to coast coms.  What are you doing?

HamAnt.jpg

Just got started in the hobby.  I us 70cm and 2 meter while driving since I do a lot of it.  Plan on getting my license upgraded and then start playing on HF.  I have used echolink and have it on all my electronic devises but that's not Ham radio to me.  More fun talking/listening over the airways.

KN4NFG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Been doing it a long time.   As i type this i just finished a QSO via ROIP/VOIP and at the same time i finished an FT8 call with Malta.   I have the 144 mgz system running for the usual guys within about 100 square miles.    Propagation is just now starting to change in my favor.  I get my weather pics from the ERWIN goes system.

I work mostly digital modes.   Involved with ARES, our local EOC (professionally and as a ham), volunteer examiner, EC-01 qualified teacher, skywarn.

On the agenda this year is to work some sats.

Love this hobby.

Shack pistol is current a Smith and Wesson Chief's special made about 1968.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

It's a very rewarding hobby.  Many don't know the fun of meeting people around the globe and building friendships over the years.

It's a very curious hobby.  The people i know who do it are some of the most thoughtful and interesting people i've met.

They do things that astound other people if they will only listen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HollowHead said:

Just started myself.   I've been kicking around the 70cm/2m spaces locally and am currently studying for the general. HH    

You are going to have a blast with general.   I've only made it that far.  But i've been heard around the world.

PSK31, JT8, RTTY, FeldHell, Thor, Olivia, voice, voip/roip, i might have missed one mode.  Oh yeah, Winlink.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 3:31 PM, Historian said:

You are going to have a blast with general.   I've only made it that far.  But i've been heard around the world.

PSK31, JT8, RTTY, FeldHell, Thor, Olivia, voice, voip/roip, i might have missed one mode.  Oh yeah, Winlink.

How are you with Yaesu programming using ADMH-2H software?   Got a question, if I may...

57 minutes ago, HollowHead said:

How are you with Yaesu programming using ADMH-2H software?   Got a question, if I may...

You mean the product by RT Systems?   RT systems makes thing easy.   RF Finder is a great online resource to download all the frequencies and the off set tones required all at once.    It's amazing.  I programmed a 2980 in about five minutes.  CHIRP is pretty good too.  But i still got my frequencies from RF Finder.

What's your question?

2 hours ago, Historian said:

You mean the product by RT Systems?   RT systems makes thing easy.   RF Finder is a great online resource to download all the frequencies and the off set tones required all at once.    It's amazing.  I programmed a 2980 in about five minutes.  CHIRP is pretty good too.  But i still got my frequencies from RF Finder.

What's your question?

I made a mistake with one entry (misnamed a repeater) and would like to add three more frequencies.   Do I need to wipe / reset the radio and reload the corrected spreadsheet or can I go in and make changes to an already programmed radio?  Thanks in advance.  HH

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 10:45 PM, HollowHead said:

I made a mistake with one entry (misnamed a repeater) and would like to add three more frequencies.   Do I need to wipe / reset the radio and reload the corrected spreadsheet or can I go in and make changes to an already programmed radio?  Thanks in advance.  HH

You can edit the device without wiping it or you can create a whole new spreadsheet.  I've got RT for my 6XR but use chirp on a Linux box. I typically just edit one spreadsheet over and over until I get what I want and then upload all my radios with the new info.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix

3 hours ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

You can edit the device without wiping it or you can create a whole new spreadsheet.  I've got RT for my 6XR but use chirp on a Linux box. I typically just edit one spreadsheet over and over until I get what I want and then upload all my radios with the new info.

Correct.  I would suggest always making a backup before any changes.  

• 8 months later...

Why I won't become an amateur radio licensee.

I won't stress the point of Covid-19, economic turmoil, or the failing political system in my rant; however when an ARC cannot coordinate something as simple as an exam, they shouldn't be allowed to play with electricity.

• Covid-19 hit in the spring and I was scheduled to take the test in June. We showed up at the exam site and were cancelled because the club forgot to coordinate the building and the facility didn't want to run the risk. No exam.
  • The test was next scheduled for July. Notification of the cancellation came 12 minutes before the test was scheduled to start. 
  • Today was try number 3. I show up and wait. At 6 PM, we find out that the room was moved to another area and we trundle off to that area [keep in mind that many hams today can barely walk due to physical conditions of aging.
    We have to be scanned in for temperature and not everyone was on the list. The pre-pubescent lad who was tasked with this chore couldn't decide what to do and made everyone wait in the 115º F heat. The adult VEs were busy having dinner and did not appreciate being interrupted, but it was now after the scheduled time to start and there were over 30 people and the building had to be cleared by 8PM.
  • The VE checking people in could not see to read. More over, he argued with people, myself included, when he blamed us for not writing in the correct info on the forms - he tried to assign me someone else's forms. The testing packets weren't pre constructed or pre-assigned and he had trouble assembling them. 50 minutes into testing, he still hadn't checked in everyone and there was no seating for anyone, expect those taking the exams. 
  • Some people were left off the list of wanting testing. They provided the e-mails proving that they met the conditions, but they were left waiting while another VE went to "verify" registrations, but he spent the vast majority of the time overseeing everyone else's tasks and delaying the check in process with questions.
  • Early people who were finished had to sit and wait for a VE to attend to them and there was only one VE for each of the two rooms. One lady took her Tech license and wanted to take her General - they told her to wait. They both seemed to want to leave the rooms and migrate elsewhere. They took undue interest in what others were doing and paid little attention to those taking the exams.

The ARRL's vaunted VE program couldn't run a single vehicle funeral through a ghost town without mass confusion. 

I was so disgusted that I left early and when a rather rotund VE tried to tell me I couldn't leave, I told him to go back to his comic book store and GTHO my way.

This entire experience has put me off ham radio. 

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Why I won't become an amateur radio licensee.

I won't stress the point of Covid-19, economic turmoil, or the failing political system in my rant; however when an ARC cannot coordinate something as simple as an exam, they shouldn't be allowed to play with electricity.

• Covid-19 hit in the spring and I was scheduled to take the test in June. We showed up at the exam site and were cancelled because the club forgot to coordinate the building and the facility didn't want to run the risk. No exam.
  • The test was next scheduled for July. Notification of the cancellation came 12 minutes before the test was scheduled to start. 
  • Today was try number 3. I show up and wait. At 6 PM, we find out that the room was moved to another area and we trundle off to that area [keep in mind that many hams today can barely walk due to physical conditions of aging.
    We have to be scanned in for temperature and not everyone was on the list. The pre-pubescent lad who was tasked with this chore couldn't decide what to do and made everyone wait in the 115º F heat. The adult VEs were busy having dinner and did not appreciate being interrupted, but it was now after the scheduled time to start and there were over 30 people and the building had to be cleared by 8PM.
  • The VE checking people in could not see to read. More over, he argued with people, myself included, when he blamed us for not writing in the correct info on the forms - he tried to assign me someone else's forms. The testing packets weren't pre constructed or pre-assigned and he had trouble assembling them. 50 minutes into testing, he still hadn't checked in everyone and there was no seating for anyone, expect those taking the exams. 
  • Some people were left off the list of wanting testing. They provided the e-mails proving that they met the conditions, but they were left waiting while another VE went to "verify" registrations, but he spent the vast majority of the time overseeing everyone else's tasks and delaying the check in process with questions.
  • Early people who were finished had to sit and wait for a VE to attend to them and there was only one VE for each of the two rooms. One lady took her Tech license and wanted to take her General - they told her to wait. They both seemed to want to leave the rooms and migrate elsewhere. They took undue interest in what others were doing and paid little attention to those taking the exams.

The ARRL's vaunted VE program couldn't run a single vehicle funeral through a ghost town without mass confusion. 

I was so disgusted that I left early and when a rather rotund VE tried to tell me I couldn't leave, I told him to go back to his comic book store and GTHO my way.

This entire experience has put me off ham radio. 

I have to admit I would be beyond being pissed also!

When I got my license (w0)I had to go to the local FCC district office, no other options.  the first one my father had to drive me 60 miles and take a day from his work.  Another time I drive into the parking lot at work and said F'it! and I drove out the other side and went to St. Paul and took another exam.  It was a good day!

It was professional, efficient, and polite.  I had a good experience, but times change.

• Like 1

I realize that not all ARCs are this disorganized or disrespectful of applicants, but treating new people like they are just a huge inconvenience to get through is no way to keep a club or a hobby alive. 

When I drove over to the testing site, I was looking forward to getting the license and buying some gear tomorrow morning. When I left, I was more than ticked off. Hours later, I'm still annoyed about it. I show up early to everything and I expect appointments to start on time and to be conducted in an efficient and business like manner. I know they were volunteers, but come on... 4 or 5 random forum members here could have thrown something together that was an order of magnitude more efficient than that mess. People are busy and do not have time to waste.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

I have to admit I would be beyond being pissed also!

When I got my license (w0)I had to go to the local FCC district office, no other options.  the first one my father had to drive me 60 miles and take a day from his work.  Another time I drive into the parking lot at work and said F'it! and I drove out the other side and went to St. Paul and took another exam.  It was a good day!

It was professional, efficient, and polite.  I had a good experience, but times change.

Me, too.  And i've administered a lot of these tests over the years.   Sounds like Blueiron had a really bad team that was confused.  They need leadership.  It's not that hard to put on an exam.  Just follow the rules and prepare ahead of time.

Really sorry about this Iron.  Maybe you can find another team locally.   You sound like someone who would enjoy the hobby and more importantly might take a leadership role in your community.  You could be the one who un-screws those VEs and the problems they have.

• Thanks 1