Anyone else able to detail strip all of their guns?

Boogieman

I have one pistol I have yet to do a complete tear-down and detail clean on since I bought it, but everything else pretty much just gets a field strip and a bath in the ultrasonic tank whenever I think it's needed.  Then again, that particular gun is barely broken in, despite being the first one I ever bought, by almost a decade.

Most striker fired are pretty simple, so not really a whole lot involved in a detail strip on them.  Ruger mkII is a bit of a pain.

I'm not a high volume shooter, so I don't really need to clean them that often.  

Then again, I also repair mechanical stuff for a living, so the basic skills are already there. 

I know more than a few guys that I wouldn't trust to clean a brick, let alone a firearm.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patrice said:

I am uncertain though about the reason or benefits to detail stripping one's firearms, at least detail stripping for its own sake? 

That makes some sense, but in the long run, springs break, wear out, etc. It's a good thing to know how to do it. $aves you trouble. My HK 45's flat spring broke after 11-12k rounds, paying a gunsmith wasn't an option, so I taught myself how to... and those DA/SA HK are a PITA to field strip with all those plates

• Like 2

I have 52 handguns. I bought most of them used, the first thing I do when I get them home is detail strip and inspect all parts. I replace anything that doesn’t pass inspection thoroughly clean and reassemble. It does help that a pretty good chunk of what I own are vintage S&W revolvers. 

• Like 3

I don't pay anyone to do much of anything for me.    

I also don't think I've ever paid a gunsmith to do anything for me.    I am a bubba gunsmith without the bubba.    

I like to build "custom" guns from boxes of parts.   Those don't always run right when finished.  It's up to me to figure out why and fix it.  

This might sound kind of cocky but it's not really.  I just have a lot of experience with mechanical things going all the way back to my youth.   It's also how I make a very good living. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have always taken things apart. I’ve stripped down every laptop computer I have ever owned, usually within the first week, to get a look at its guts. Then I reassemble them and use them. 

Yeah, I can take apart all my guns. One of the tougher guns I took apart and reassembled for the first time was a Browning M2 .50-cal, when I was in Basic. You really need three hands connected to the same brain to get the trunnion block back into the receiver. 

• Like 1

I took the Glock armorers course so that I would feel confident field stripping them, but so far I haven't felt the need to go beyond field stripping the slides. I'm not going to field strip the frames until I think it's really necessary, because I'm not looking forward to the pins loosening up. I'd be interested in other opinions from Glock owners who've dissembled their frames, as far as the pins loosening up.

I could detail strip all my guns but in in over 58 years I don't think I've detailed stripped a dozen guns.

I pretty much believe, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have had a number of "defective guns" brought to me that the only problem was someone, that didn't know what they were doing, "detailed stripped" the gun.  Then they assembled it wrong.

Just a couple weeks ago a lady friend asked me to "fix" a nice Browning shotgun that someone had given to her.  The previous owner had "detailed stripped" the gun and reassembled it wrong.

Same thing with a shotgun last year.  That "gunsmith" managed to put the barrel in wrong.

YEP   ,learned from my dad   , i also learned to drive a tractor at 8 years  old . dad drove  140  out into middle of a plowed field ,  i got on it he was walking back to truck  , i said  "hey  you gonna teach me"  he said i am  

now start it and drive it , lol on my first attempt  i failed  to hit the wrong brake pedal to the right  instead of left  and smack right into tree  ,  41 years later that bumper is still a U

I don’t take things apart for no reason. That said, over the years I’ve learned (out of need) to detail strip 1911s, Beretta 92s, PX4s, Cougars, Sig P Series, Glocks, M&Ps, XDs. CZ will likely be next on that list. 

Ask me how many times folk have brought me a box of parts that used to be a functioning firearm and asked me if I could re-assemble it?

The exact phrase most often used was, Put it back together.  :biggrin:

And, yes, more than a few Ruger Mark IIs arrived in the box.

<--- successfully put them all back together

Edited by tous
  • Like 1