tenant asked to leave his apartment's pool area by officer

ASH

Alex Stokely, the vice president of Barrett & Stokely, which manages the apartment complex, told the local publication that the manager has since been placed on leave. The company also added that they are currently investigating the situation.

The security officer was reportedly at the pool because of previous incidents involving non-residents using the pool, according to the Star.

The article reads like it was solely the off-duty cop's fault.  So curious why the manager was placed on leave.  Waiting for the rest of the story.    

• Like 1

prolly because the manager fucked up  , the right thing to have done was tell the manager what apartment you live at  then the manager  tells the security /off duty cop he lives here,  thats it .  

if not commiting a crime its nobody business where you live .

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1

• Administrators

If a property owner or agent (person the owner says is in charge) tells me "That person does not belong here, he needs to leave,...."   I am likely to ask the person to leave.   It is not by my authority the person is being asked to leave, it is by the owner or agents, I am just there to preserve the peace.  I would have no authority to tell the person to leave (outside of a disturbance/criminal issue....)  The authority lies with the owner/agent.   

The other side of all of this, is there is a very real problem with community pools being used by people that have no right to use them.  It is a very common police call. We have to tread lightly.....because the people usually calling us have no contractual agency (they are not authorized to act for the owner/HOA/whatever)   Just because you live there, have the right to use the pool and know some person does not have that right does not mean I can act on that.   It is a really tough situation for us.  Trespass laws are real but there are some rules to it.  The owner/agent is the one *usually* issuing an order of trespass. The police are just there to preserve the peace.  (and update our records as to who is trespassed where)   As always, there are other details but that is a good primer. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ASH said:

prolly because the manager fucked up  , the right thing to have done was tell the manager what apartment you live at  then the manager  tells the security /off duty cop he lives here,  thats it .  

if not commiting a crime its nobody business where you live .

It does not quite work that way.  

If you go into a private club and you are not a member, you have broken no law, but they have the right to tell you to leave.  If you do not, it does become a crime. 

As a tangent, with a broad brush, the way trespass laws often work is the concept of "first time is a warning"   If you go somewhere you are not supposed to be, that is the warning (you are trespassed)  Legally, nothing happens (although there me be a formal warning or paperwork).   BUT....if you do it again, it is criminal.     In reality, most of the time, the *warning* is not official until we issue it (again, the owner/agent is the real issuing authority) and we have the record of it.   

True but could have been easy pesy to settle without all the riff Raff ING    .             1. Tell manager your apartment number      2, manager confirms said person lives there. 3, guy hangs out by hi pool he is privy to. Walla. 

Security le goes to manager does that dude live here? Looks thru books yep he lives here .ok the end.     I own apartment complex and my managers know all rules I also hire off duty le  to do security when applical. This was just a eff up with a protocol that is simple if thinking would have been involved.they both dropped the ball

Edited by ASH

Seems like the manager knew the tenant, he knew her by her fist name. The right thing for the manager to do would have been to tell the security guard that he was a paying tenant and he was welcome at the pool. The man was right I wouldn’t have given a stranger my address either when I’ve done nothing wrong! 

2 hours ago, Sigobsessed said:

Seems like the manager knew the tenant, he knew her by her fist name. The right thing for the manager to do would have been to tell the security guard that he was a paying tenant and he was welcome at the pool. The man was right I wouldn’t have given a stranger my address either when I’ve done nothing wrong! 

BINGO

On 7/13/2018 at 1:40 AM, ASH said:

TO THE RIFF RAFF ROOM    :duel::dancingteddy: LOL :tbo:

everyone sees thing different  oh well,:599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

No, it's much more insidious that a mere differences of opinions.  It's another blatant attempt by those with personal agendas to pass off (should the right word be "disseminate?") fake news.  As we all know, news organization holds certain political and economic agendas they want to put out there.  News organizations also have the ability to widely disseminate "their" story along with any slant it wants to.  Plus it can hide behind the 1A.  And said news organization knows there are plenty of recipients out there more than willing to mindlessly eat it up.   And the result is... bada bing, bada boom... here we are.   

it was sarcasm  i should have disclaimered  it .          

anyway here is my grandkid with a bra on her head  , takes the place of  rabbits and pancakes  :tbo:

35228546_10155643792255838_568654382954971136_n.jpg

Edited by ASH