Are advertisers right, is society that stupid?

XSIV4S

The commercials today cost more than ever and so many of their messages are so idiotic.

1.       Liberty Mutual “Your rates won’t go up just because you had a wreck” What a pile of horsecrap. Insurance companies are some of the greediest folks out there and they certainly aren’t cutting into their profits. Which means they only likely solution would be the drivers with good records who are insured by them are subsidizing the idiots who are wrecking.

2.       Flonase “Six is greater than one”. Is this a common medicine used by people on meth? What a bizarre thing to build a commercial around.

3.       As an early 50’s white guy, if I were in a commercial my choices would be (1) bumbling klutz, (2) emasculated, (3) the guy having something explained to me or all of the above.

You guessed it, I am sick and tired of commercials.

• Like 5

I've done some voice acting, and I've read scripts that made me want to grind my teeth. 

So many factual innacuracies that I had to read with the brightest, happiest voice I could muster. 

There was one that followed the cadence of Henry V's speech before the gates of Harfleur.  I almost ended a sentence with, ".... hard, favored RAGE!" 

35 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

The commercials today cost more than ever and so many of their messages are so idiotic.

1.       Liberty Mutual “Your rates won’t go up just because you had a wreck” What a pile of horsecrap. Insurance companies are some of the greediest folks out there and they certainly aren’t cutting into their profits. Which means they only likely solution would be the drivers with good records who are insured by them are subsidizing the idiots who are wrecking.

2.       Flonase “Six is greater than one”. Is this a common medicine used by people on meth? What a bizarre thing to build a commercial around.

3.       As an early 50’s white guy, if I were in a commercial my choices would be (1) bumbling klutz, (2) emasculated, (3) the guy having something explained to me or all of the above.

You guessed it, I am sick and tired of commercials.

You know, I'm not familiar with either of those. No cable, and uBlock. ;)

As a former auto insurance adjuster, those Liberty Mutual commercials make me hate them on a personal level.  

They are doing everything they can to take advantage of people's ignorance of auto insurance, further bolster the biggest myths regarding coverages, and demonize other companies.  I will never, ever use Liberty Mutual. 

And yes, when is the last time you saw a white male portrayed as intelligent, competent, or otherwise in a positive light in advertising on TV?

• Like 3

This illustrates a change in common belief and culture.

For many years, even centuries, insurance was intended to and accepted as indemnity from catastrophic loss, not every little loss.

House burned down?  Insurance covered most of the cost of rebuilding, but didn't offer a brand new, better house at no cost to the insured.

One just accepted that bad things happen and dealt with it, moved ahead.

Now, the whiny millennials demand that  every tiny bump in their road be smoothed, all debts forgiven, a new free phone every year -- nothing must annoy or irritate them or divert them from their path of complete bliss from birth to death.

One phrase, It's no big deal, sums up this attitude perfectly.  Whatever they do wrong, it's no big deal. 

Hit someone's car?  No big deal -- to them.  What about the poor soul that has to be without transportation, get the car repaired and pay up thousands of dollars out of their pocket?

It's a big deal to them, you whiny little twenty-something clowns.

As for the stupid white men in contemporary commercials, back in the 1950s tot eh 1980s, it was stupid women that had to have even the simplest concept 'splained to them by the wise, patient mens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

Did you just assume a gender?

Damn right. 

I get sickened by adds adds that show how men are incapable of doing the smallest task or using the simplest tool. And are totally whipped by some female who is only able to use a cell phone to call a professional because because her castrated hubby is a  wimp. 

• Like 5

Judging by the 30 genders we now have, the tide pod eaters, safe spaces, antifa, ***** hats, and all the other nonsense going on (driven by the progressive left) since Trump has been elected, I'm going to say yes society is that stupid.  I don't need advertisers to confirm this, but they are probably targeting the lowest common denominator.

• Like 2

Liberty Mutual has some of the worst commercials. "Dad, don't worry, I know what a lug wrench is"......

Momma is so happy that little Johnny won't be stranded when he has a flat tire in the middle of the night. It's not as if they could have taught him how to do it himself? Nope. Let him wait for an hour or two for someone else to change the tire for him so he can "get home safely".

:slap:

• Like 3

Maybe little Johnny is too dense to learn to change a tire - tells time with his cell phone so he doesn't know clockwise from counterclockwise, and has never been exposed to tools so he doesn't know what the lug wrench even looks like...

-Pat

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tous said:

As for the stupid white men in contemporary commercials, back in the 1950s tot eh 1980s, it was stupid women that had to have even the simplest concept 'splained to them by the wise, patient mens

Given that timeframe, perhaps we're nearly even. Maybe advertisers (heck, society) can get away from denigrating entire swaths of people based on unchangeable characteristics?

I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

Maybe little Johnny is too dense to learn to change a tire - tells time with his cell phone so he doesn't know clockwise from counterclockwise, and has never been exposed to tools so he doesn't know what the lug wrench even looks like...

-Pat

The thing is neither he nor his boyfriend know how to change a tire.  I told mom, they didn't raise a son they raised a daughter.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:41 PM, XSIV4S said:
On 7/12/2018 at 9:41 PM, XSIV4S said:

1.       Liberty Mutual “Your rates won’t go up just because you had a wreck” What a pile of horsecrap

Not sure what you're getting at here?  As long as you purchase a rider on your policy that costs more than your rates would increase, your rates will not go up.  This is common sense.

Well, off to play golf now.  My course has just mandated cart use.  Luckily the carts are free, though the green fees have increased by $12/round for other non related reasons.  This sounds reasonable to me.