Aircraft paint stripper still burns.

XSIV4S

I'm pulling a late night trying to finish a kitchen redo before the misses gets home in a few days. Right now I've got sixty or so 50 year old cabinet hinges with multiple coats of paint. I soaked them briefly in aircraft paint stripper and I am removing the last of the paint with a brass brush wire. even watered down this stuff is splashing up on the skin and burning like hell. I guess this is why it hasn't been done in 50 years.

• Administrators

If I were you, I’d try to not splatter it on your skin.:greensupergrin:

Remember when that mechanic, I think his name was Cliff, slid down in the aircraft paint stripper the idiot bosses were using to strip the floors, in the middle of the day? I didn’t know that little bastard could move that fast. 

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

If I were you, I’d try to not splatter it on your skin.:greensupergrin:

Remember when that mechanic, I think his name was Cliff, slid down in the aircraft paint stripper the idiot bosses were using to strip the floors, in the middle of the day? I didn’t know that little bastard could move that fast. 

Yup

Used that stuff in the Navy; looked like baby ****.  I wore the full rubber apron, thick rubber gloves, and full face shield plus safety goggles.

One tiny diluted speck of that nasty stuff hitting the skin during rinse off was like getting a slow bee sting.

And I was doused with so much MEK during my stint in naval aviation that I was a little concerned that my first born would look like me.  Thankfully she turned out beautiful and smart!

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

Used that stuff in the Navy; looked like baby ****.  I wore the full rubber apron, thick rubber gloves, and full face shield plus safety goggles.

One tiny diluted speck of that nasty stuff hitting the skin during rinse off was like getting a slow bee sting.

And I was doused with so much MEK during my stint in naval aviation that I was a little concerned that my first born would look like me.  Thankfully she turned out beautiful and smart!

Maybe the mailman was never exposed to MEK? ?

(Sorry, I couldn't pass it up).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

Well, you just sucked all the pride right out of that job.

Oh, you did a great job and I bet your wife will appreciate all the hard work. I bet she will also like to have her husband being around as long as possible. :)

Don't take my posts too seriously, I'm just being me, and I came to the conclusion that health is the most precious and valuable thing we have. Wish I came to that conclusion a long time ago.

Edited by crockett

31 minutes ago, crockett said:

Oh, you did a great job and I bet your wife will appreciate all the hard work. I bet she will also like to have her husband being around as long as possible. :)

Don't take my posts too seriously, I'm just being me, and I came to the conclusion that health is the most precious and valuable thing we have. Wish I came to that conclusion a long time ago.

I'm sure I'll laugh about it in a week. Right now I have chemical burns and paint stains to deal with.?

7 hours ago, PNWguy said:

uggg MEK,, that was some good ****. I don't think any replacements were ever as good as it was