First Aid Kit

EDC, right cargo pocket.  Anything else I may need can wait until I get back the the car or home. Have you thought about upgrading that UV5R to something that can actually be programmed in the field?  Do you have any decent linked repeater system in your area?

Tourni.jpg

Edited by syntaxerrorsix

5 hours ago, crockett said:

Al I have are hand and butt wipes.

I need to work on that. Some suggestions for a truck bag would be great.

Depends on how big of bag you want? The bag I use for EDC is  this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y61F77U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which cost me about $15. I have a GHB in the vehicle, which is the Badlands Tactical Rap Gunmetal Backpack. 

So, it depends on what you are looking for.

2 hours ago, BMyers said:

Depends on how big of bag you want? The bag I use for EDC is  this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y61F77U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which cost me about $15. I have a GHB in the vehicle, which is the Badlands Tactical Rap Gunmetal Backpack. 

So, it depends on what you are looking for.

I don't carry a bag around, but would love something that stays in my truck, if I run into a bad crash and could help, as well as some items if I'd get stranded somewhere with no cell phone coverage or any issue that would force me to stay over night. I'd rather use a Pelican case that fits under the rear bench, out of sight, and doesn't collect dirt like a bag. But what should I stock it with..?

13 hours ago, crockett said:

I don't carry a bag around, but would love something that stays in my truck, if I run into a bad crash and could help, as well as some items if I'd get stranded somewhere with no cell phone coverage or any issue that would force me to stay over night. I'd rather use a Pelican case that fits under the rear bench, out of sight, and doesn't collect dirt like a bag. But what should I stock it with..?

Whatever you train to use.  Taking a first aid course will help you get an idea of what things you may want to stock.  For most that means the ability to maintain an airway and stop bleeding. 

For a truck kit you can incorporate OTC meds or emergency items like Epi pens for loved ones.  PPE should be included as well if you are going to assist others.  Latex gloves, eye pro and barrier masks. 

A home kit for the end of the world could include a suture kit, antibiotics, pain meds, splints, bag fluids and the like.  Just keep in mind if you don't know how to use the kit it won't do you any good.  Even advanced first aid isn't rocket science but you STILL need some guidance and practice.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix
  • Like 1

I agree with syntax, it depends on your level of training on what you need in your bag. If you have no training or minimum training, go buy you a first aid kit from Sam's and that will meet your needs. 

As you level of training increases, so does the possibility of what you may carry with you. Yet, realize, if with the best training, there is a limit to how much you will want/need to invest in your own supplies in your truck. 

Roll gauze, 4x4s, and a few pressure dressing bandages will take care of many of the more serious events you would encounter. The thing you will use the most is band aids. I would say band aids, antibiotic cream, anti-itch cream (hydrocortisone), and benadryl are the items I have used most out of my personal kit. Along with pepto bismol tablets and ibuprofen, that is what I have used out of my kit. Thankfully, you don't have many serious incidents in your normal day-to-day life. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I like to buy my supplies from : Dark Angel Medical, Adventure medical, ITS tactical, Amazon, Walgreens

I think most people can deal with most common issue with the following:

Israeli compression bandage / north American rescue compression bandage

3m large wound strips

2" and 4" gauze pads  + self adhearing gauze  bandage

sam splint

ace bandage

triangle bandage

eye bandage

plenty of tape (speed, gorilla, 100 mph etc) 

plenty of traditional gauze wrap

abdominal pads

good scissors ( absolute best you can afford)

boo boo bandaids knee, knuckle, med and large

water proof boo boo bandaids

cleaning/ antiseptic solution and squirt bottle

clean towels

baby wipes

warrior wipes

latex gloves

safety pins

550 cord

tourniquet

small forceps

knife

razor blade

soap

led light

batteries

motrin

aspirin

prep-H

water-jel burn dressing

Edited by Paper Tiger

I had to look up what vetwrap was, it is coban (at least that is what we call it around here(I think that might be the brand name)). I really like it and I'm glad when the Red Cross switched to it instead of tape because the tape was miserable getting off my hairy arms. Almost made me not want to donate blood anymore. We buy some at the end of each year with the money we have left over in our FSA.